The Chronicles of House Evelar [Story-telling] [Scenario/Campaign crafting]

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

NHB

The Chronicles of House Evelar [Story-telling] [Scenario/Campaign crafting]

#1 Post by NHB »

Disclaimer
It is quite funny how life goes. I never really got into the Hobby as a Teenager mainly because of no Money and no close LGS or community. There is only so much fun one can have with a 5th edition Starter Set and the Starter Paint Kit for christmas. Pushing 12 Bretonnian Knights and 24 Peasant Bowmen into 32 Skinks and 20 Saurus Warriors does get dull at some point. It was also a great time for computer gaming and I needed to save up 200 Deutsch Mark for the Quantum Fireball 15GB harddisk, an unfathomable amount of space. You would never need to upgrade your HDD ever again, trust me. You could install Caesar III a whopping 100 times on this bad boy. :D

In my late student years 2012 I got back into the hobby and wanted to give it a real go this time around. I had a small but really nice LGS around the corner with an even smaller but very committed and loyal Warhammer Fantasy group of players. Living in a small town in a shared flat, also money wasn't a (big) problem. Sure not able to splurge on 2 Battalions a month, but sniping 30-50€ per month off the budget wasn't a big deal and takes you a long way over a year or two. Especially when you get to paint for free for helping around the LGS a little :)

Turns out the perfect number of Lion Chariots for example was already well established: https://youtu.be/xOrgLj9lOwk?t=83

I moved to a new city and started a job and a try on all of this "adulting" everyone kept talking about, JUST before the book for 8th dropped. What should have been an amazing time with a new book and big city and big playerbase experience came to a screeching halt, as I had to invest a huge amount of time and energy into the job - waking up in the weekend and not knowing if it is saturday or sunday is not great, but happened frequently. Well. Things settled down a bit, but then GW killed Warhammer. So, only having barely scratched the surface of the hobby the 2nd time around, there wasn't enough traction to keep me going. So I gifted my models away, followed a little bit the fan made stuff, but dropped off completly later.

So here we are. I have nothing. No hobby supplies, no models and again no local scene. Time is ok-ish but money is now no problem. Except it is - because I am for damn sure not buying High Elf models for the inflated prices that are going around at the moment. If I were into Brets or TK I might have picked up the starter box + a little. I was always into VC as it is a completely different playstyle to HE and one should have one good and one bad army, right? Since VC aren't coming back at all or at least not any time soon (fingers crossed the Legacy decision will be repealed at some point) I was actually considering the TK, well but everything was sold out in 2,5 milliseconds. So, yeah....

At the very least it is going to be Theoryhammer for me, might as well invest my energy in that. Minimum until High Elves get their full release. Likely even further than that, as I am unwilling to pay scalpers. This is fine. I always liked the theory/strategic part of the hobby the most. Story telling, list building, math hammering, comparing stats, coming up with awesome loadout combinations. etc. (I claim the 373pts "Lion Prince" with White Sword as my invention btw. sue me ;) )

So, for now (Feb 2024)
What you can expect in this thread:
  • Storytelling around the House of Evelar - to start - mainly around it's youngest son Aldaír
  • Story-based "theoretical" Battle Reports made with Battle Chronicler
  • Scenario Instructions for you to replay said battles, kind of a "play-along" experience (of my entirely made up outcome)
  • Suggested army lists provided for both sides for each scenario and suggested (rough) deployment of the units.
  • Branching story-line (e.g. if you win Scenario 1, continue with 2a, if you lose, continue with 2b)
  • Maps of Movement and current events based off of the map here: https://www.theoldworld.com/
What you cannot expect in this thread:
  • I am not an artist. Any visual stuff will be crude at best.
  • I am not an author and English is my 2nd language. I try to tell a good story, not a story well written. If it seems choppy - maybe it is due to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bctjSvn-OC8 or it might be the German in me.
  • I am not very well versed in the Lore of Warhammer Fantasy. When I got the 8th Book for High Elves, I didn't even touch the lore pages, where are my points and units and magic items, I want to build lists! I try to better myself in that regard. But expect mistakes.
  • I am trying to name characters and places to the best of my ability. I want to avoid using names that already exist, but due to the aforementioned lack of lore, I might accidentally do so, please call me out on that if it happens.
  • Actual Battle Reports! I am not playing these games. If you don't know why, please read the disclaimer again :)
List of contents

Prologue: Scenario 0 coming up soon!
NHB

Re: The Chronicles of House Evelar [Story-telling] [Scenario/Campaign crafting]

#2 Post by NHB »

Prologue

Skrtch----skrrrt—skr-----skrrrrtch--- SKRRTCH

The lantern in the white tent is flickering. The feather is moving swiftly across the parchment – wielded by an agitated young Elf. The scripting pauses for a moment.

“What on earth had he gotten himself into this time … and how on earth would he get himself out of it again! These damn Nagarythe Scouts must have been stoned on Smokeleaf out of their minds – how else would they miss that an entire mob of Trolls were travelling with the warpack of Gitgut Legbrekka. Or maybe he was in the middle of some political schemes. Damn those Nagarythians."

At least the battle is over now. It was not pretty though. Expecting an inferior force made up of mostly a bunch of disorganized Orcs, his forces had marched up aggressively to make quick work of the Greenskins, and return the family heirloom – the Sword of Evelar – to its rightful owner, his father. Why, oh why would he parade it around every pub in High Hall? Of course it was going to get stolen. Nicked by a filthy Goblin from the shadows. The assignment was to keep a low profile and carefully inquisite about Tor Anrok, the abandoned outpost on the outskirts of the Badlands.

How do you know you are one of the lowest regarded houses in the whole realm? Well, you get shitty assignments such as this.

Recovery of the Sword of Evelar: Prologue: Scenario 0
The contingent from Hoeth was advancing on the right flank. Preparing to hammer into the Orcs flank once they had engaged with the proud Spears. The Archers were advancing up the left flank and lending fire support. Easiest Strategy in the Book. The flimsy Orcish Arrows were uselessly plinking off superior Elven Shields and Armour, the Archers smartly using their range advantage to stay safe. The Loremaster throwing Fireballs to soften up the Orc Boyz.
Suddenly out of the forest – with a roaring sound of cracking trees and branches – came the Trolls.

That hot-head of a Loremaster never heard the cries for a tactical retreat to weaken these Monsters with the range advantage and accurate Elven Arrows. Charging in they went. Very swift, but very brutal. First - troll limbs flying everywhere, sliced by Elven precision, but then Troll Blood burning eyes and skin of the Swordmasters. The last two Trolls seemingly not impressed – or too stupid to notice – preparatorily emptied their stomachs for what was surely to become a great feast. Molten steel and flesh everywhere, the acid somehow dissolving but also compounding together fabric, leather, metal, blood, dirt into an unrecognizable blob – the stench quickly spread over the whole battlefield.

At least, with his dying breath and last duty to Ulthuan the Loremaster invoked the Winds of Magic one last time and the trolls combusted into a giant ball of flame – also releasing the remaining disfigured Swordmasters from their suffering – not even the Everqueen could have saved them from their fate.

What was supposed to be a breeze of a skirmish with Aldaír merely orchestrating his forces came to be a rough intense close combat exchanging of blows.
The loyal Spearmen were never supposed to take on the Orc Boyz head on alone, Aldaír joined them to support and they took a bunch of casualties, but also dealt several in return. It was now the Archers plight who had to get bloodied to save their brethren and the day. Even though he dealt a heavy wound to Gitgut. How humiliating is it to be wounded by your own Families Sword, wielded against you. The Orc retreat should feel like a win, but it doesn't.

Scenario 0 - Prologue:
Special Rules:
As Aldaír is surprising the Orcs, his forces get Turn 1.
The Loresmaster does not roll for spells, instead he knows the Fireball spell.
When losing his last Wound the Loremaster automatically casts Fireball, that cannot be dispelled by any means, onto the unit, that inflicted the deadly wound.

Suggested Army Lists:
O&G
Orc and Goblin Tribes - Scen0 - [500pts]

## Main Force [500pts]

### Characters [80pts]
Orc Bigboss [80pts]:
• 1x Orc Bigboss: Heavy Armour, General, Hand Weapon, Sword of Might (Sword of Evelar), Shield

### Core [174pts]
Orc Mobs [124pts]:
• 1x Musician
• 1x Standard Bearer
Close Order
• 19x Orc Boy: Light Armour, Additional Hand Weapon, Hand Weapon

Orc Mobs [50pts]: Close Order
• 10x Orc Boy: Light Armour, Warbow, Hand Weapon

### Special [246pts]
Common Troll Mobs [246pts]:
• 6x Common Troll: Callowared Hide, Hand Weapon, Troll Vomit

-----------------

High Elf Realms - Scen0 HE - [500pts]

## Main Force [500pts]

### Characters [185pts]
Noble [80pts]:
• 1x Noble: Full Plate Armour, General, Hand Weapon, Pure of Heart, Great Weapon

Noble [105pts]:
• 1x Noble: Light Armour, Hand Weapon, Loremaster, Sword of Hoeth

### Core [231pts]
Elven Archers [90pts]:
• 9x Elven Archer: Hand Weapon, Longbow

Elven Spearmen [141pts]:
• 1x Musician
• 1x Sentinel
• 1x Standard Bearer
• 14x Elven Spearman: Hand Weapon, Light Armour, Shield, Thrusting Spear

### Special [84pts]
Swordmasters of Hoeth [84pts]:
• 6x Swordmaster: Hand Weapon, Heavy Armour, Sword of Hoeth
Last edited by NHB on Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:34 pm, edited 6 times in total.
NHB

#3 Post by NHB »

Scenario 1: The Recovery of the Sword of Evelar

What a disaster. The Loremaster and his retinue melted into a puddle - father would have to explain that one to the High Emissary of Hoeth - the entire Spearmen unit lost to an Orc Mob and he himself was still hurting from that slash to his side by the Orc Boss Gitgut. Luckily the high quality Elven Full Plate softened the force of the hit. “No Orc Hunting without good armour, Aldaír! “. He could still hear the soft voice of his mother echo in his memories. “Yes Mother….” It saved his life today.
With the main part of his force dead, he would have to be careful, but it seemed the best option to not let the Orcs rest and deal the Killing Blow to Gitgut. At least the Ellyrian Messengers had returned during the night.
One Archer lost his life in the last battle to the Orc Boyz. Fortunately, his Longbow remains fully intact and Aldaír chooses it instead of his trusted Great Weapon for this skirmish. It is likely to be more useful.

This leaves the Armoury looking like this:

Aldaírs Armoury:
Great Weapon (stored)
Longbow (equipped: Aldaír)
Full Plate Armour (equipped: Aldaír)
Sword of Evelar (missing)
2024-02-19 14_16_42-Evelar.pptx - PowerPoint.png
2024-02-19 14_16_42-Evelar.pptx - PowerPoint.png (1.98 MiB) Viewed 418 times
Scenario 1:
Special Rules:
  • Aldaír is still weakened from the last battle. He will be at WS -1 & BS -1 for this battle.
  • Since Aldaírs Force has been in hot pursuit, he will get Turn 1. Instead, you may choose to rest. In this case Aldaír has recovered (no WS -1, BS -1), but Turn 1 goes to the Orcs and they may add 50 pts total of Rank & File models to any of the 3 core units. (More Orcs are always just around the corner in these lands)
  • The objective is to kill Gitgut Legbrekka (thereby recovering the Sword of Evelar)
  • The game ends once Gitgut is killed (the puny orcs would be running for the hills in that case) or the High Elves are wiped out. (Note: if Aldaír is put out of action, the elves still keep on fighting)
Suggested Army List:

Orc and Goblin Tribes - 250 - [250pts]

## Main Force [250pts]

### Characters [78pts]
Orc Bigboss [78pts]:
• 1x Orc Bigboss: Heavy Armour, General, Hand Weapon, Sword of Might

### Core [172pts]
Goblin Wolf Rider Mobs [55pts]:
• 5x Wolf Rider: Cavalry Spear, Shield, Giant Wolf, Claws and fangs, Hand Weapon, Light Armour

Orc Mobs [45pts]: Close Order
• 9x Orc Boy: Light Armour, Warbow, Hand Weapon

Orc Mobs [72pts]: Big Un's, Close Order
• 9x Orc Boy: Light Armour, Hand Weapon, Shield

High Elf Realms - he - [250pts]

## Main Force [250pts]

### Characters [80pts]
Noble [80pts]:
• 1x Noble: Full Plate Armour, General, Hand Weapon, Longbow

### Core [170pts]
Ellyrian Reavers [80pts]:
• 5x Ellyrian Reaver: Elven Steed, Hand Weapon, Cavalry Spear, Hand Weapon, Light Armour

Elven Archers [90pts]:
• 9x Elven Archer: Hand Weapon, Longbow

Suggested Deployment:
Aldair2_Deployment.jpg
Aldair2_Deployment.jpg (76.1 KiB) Viewed 414 times
Theoretical Turn 1 HE:
Aldair2_Turn_1_Aldaír's_Recovery_Force.jpg
Aldair2_Turn_1_Aldaír's_Recovery_Force.jpg (74.38 KiB) Viewed 414 times

The Ellyrians took cover in the woods on the left flank, preparing for flank charges. The archers only managed 2 Wounds on the Wolf Riders, who passed 3 Armour saves.

Theoretical Turn 1 OG:
Aldair2_Turn_1_Gitgut's_Warband.jpg
Aldair2_Turn_1_Gitgut's_Warband.jpg (77.65 KiB) Viewed 414 times

Gitgut’s Boyz rushed forwards, the Arrer Boyz missing everything due to moving and range, the Wolf Riders skipped out of the Elf Archer front arc.
Last edited by NHB on Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NHB

#4 Post by NHB »

Theoretical Turn 2 HE:
Aldair2_Turn_2_Aldaír's_Recovery_Force.jpg
Aldair2_Turn_2_Aldaír's_Recovery_Force.jpg (80.71 KiB) Viewed 412 times

The Reavers planned to occupy the Arrer Boyz for the remainder of the battle, but surprisingly beat and broke them directly. Annoyingly they were an inch short of running them down, even though they demanded their steeds stride swiftly. Aldaír decided to pick off a few wounds off of the Orc Boyz rather than the Wolf Riders.

Theoretical Turn 2 OG:
Aldair2_Turn_2_Gitgut's_Warband.jpg
Aldair2_Turn_2_Gitgut's_Warband.jpg (77.83 KiB) Viewed 412 times

The Orc Arrer Boyz found some considerable courage to rally, reform to 7 wide and shooting at Point Blank Range, but only managed to take down a single Ellyrian.
Gitgut couldn’t contain himself and declared an unusually long charge, promptly failed – but Gork (or Mork) was watching over him, as only a single Boy died to Stand & Shoot. No matter, next time the charge would be guaranteed with any roll bar a double 1.

The 3 remaining Goblin Wolf Riders surprisingly overcame their Fear of Elves both when declaring the charge and also in the Close Combat Phase – perhaps maybe fearing their own Wolves more if they would not provide a decent feast at the end of the day. Aldaír felt his impediment, despite going first and re-rolling 1s to hit, he only managed to slice through a single Goblin. While 2 Archers were shanked in the back. Grudgingly he gave ground and the rabid Wolves followed suit. Not ideal, the Ellyrians were still occupied with the Orc Arrer Boyz and couldn’t lend help next turn, had he made a grave error of judgement by pushing on?

Theoretical Turn 3 HE:
Aldair2_Turn_3_Aldaír's_Recovery_Force.jpg
Aldair2_Turn_3_Aldaír's_Recovery_Force.jpg (71.01 KiB) Viewed 412 times

The Ellyrians charged the Arrer Boyz again, but only managed to kill 2, losing 1 in return only pushing them back a couple of inches. With a grim expression on their face they decided to turn their back to the Archers and faced the rear of the Orc Boyz. They might be needed in that final combat.

Aldaír was facing off against the last 2 Wolf Riders and finding his rhythm again. 3 Hits, 3 Wounds, but 2 Armour saves. Luckily the 1 Archer coming to his aid, surprisingly hit (re-rolling the 1) wounded and pierced the armour of the remaining Wolf Rider. A close call.
Aldair2_Turn_3_Gitgut's_Warband.jpg
Aldair2_Turn_3_Gitgut's_Warband.jpg (69.74 KiB) Viewed 412 times
Gitgut was having a tantrum in the middle of the battle field swinging the Sword of Evelar all over the place, his orcs stayed out of the way and finally he bellowed for the charge to kill those annoying Elf things. The Elven Arrows were not blessed today as only a single Arrow found its mark for Stand & Shoot.

On the other hand the Orc Arrer Boyz still seemed to be shaken not even getting a single wound into the back of the Reavers.
Showdown it is then. 1 Wound got through the armour of Gitgut. Aldaír striking first of course. But then Gitgut hit back 2 misses, but another wound inflicted from his own Family Sword. Aldaírs Full Plate Armour not proving enough protection this time.

2 Wounds each on the Archers and Boyz and the charge and High Ground equal out for a drawn combat.
Everything would now rest on the Ellyrians or Aldaírs personal combat skills.

The Ellyrians did make an unlikely 14” charge. But it was not necessary, with his last strength Aldaír cut down Gitgut Legbrekka and the few remaining Orcs scattered away into the hills.
Aldair2_Turn_4_Aldaír's_Recovery_Force.jpg
Aldair2_Turn_4_Aldaír's_Recovery_Force.jpg (76.73 KiB) Viewed 410 times