ULTHUAN GETS A MAKEOVER

Important game and board announcements and website or forum related topics

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Giladis
The Merlord

ULTHUAN GETS A MAKEOVER

#1 Post by Giladis »

Hail, citizens of the most glorious isle!

With the arrival of Warhammer: The Old World we are doing a bit of housekeeping here on Ulthuan.

The Armies of Ulthuan section is being remodelled to a new format that will look like this:

1. Warhammer: The Old World - everything about ToW
- General Discussion
- sub-forum: Army Lists

2. Fields of Fantasy - everything about AoS, T9A, KoW, AoF, Oathmark, MESBG, WAP etc...
- General Discussion
- sub-forum: Army Lists

3. Warhammer Legacy - everything related to Warhammer from 1st to 8th edition

4. Realms Beyond - everything about other games

5. Army Blogs

6. Beneath the Waves - archive
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: ULTHUAN GETS A MAKEOVER

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

Good job Giladis, much appreciated.
TyrrenAzureblade

#3 Post by TyrrenAzureblade »

Most excellent, thanks for putting in the work and effort to get this forum in order!
NightHawk45

#4 Post by NightHawk45 »

Good Work! The updates categories are much appreciated!! Thanks for the hard work
Morgen

#5 Post by Morgen »

Interesting and indeed appreciated. Though there was some charm about it being all over too. Hoho!
Ielthan

#6 Post by Ielthan »

Much appreciated! I hope the forum really gets going again, I'm not much a fan of using Facebook, and forums are great for making army blogs, bat reps etc.
Icarion

#7 Post by Icarion »

i am really looking forward to this!
Caledor for life!
Noble Korhedron

#8 Post by Noble Korhedron »

Ielthan wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:40 am Much appreciated! I hope the forum really gets going again, I'm not much a fan of using Facebook, and forums are great for making army blogs, bat reps etc.
Agreed! I had another person say on Facebook - at least I think it was Facebook - that forums were outdated; does anyone agree, or is that just tech snobbery..?
Regards,

NK.

http://www.druchii.net/index.php
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php
http://www.bartertown.com/trading/index.php
Morgen

#9 Post by Morgen »

Wow, they said that on Facebook? That's kind of hilarious. XD

Forums are still probably the best place to be a useful community where you're not just a product to be sold ads and noise. I'm a fan. We could have a mastodon instance or an IRC group or a number of other options too.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#10 Post by Prince of Spires »

Noble Korhedron wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:39 pm
Ielthan wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:40 am Much appreciated! I hope the forum really gets going again, I'm not much a fan of using Facebook, and forums are great for making army blogs, bat reps etc.
Agreed! I had another person say on Facebook - at least I think it was Facebook - that forums were outdated; does anyone agree, or is that just tech snobbery..?
Yes and no. Before Facebook (man, I'm old...), forums were the go-to place for online interactions, simply because there was little else. With the advent of Facebook (and other social media platforms), part of that has shifted over. Want to share your painting progress? Then Instagram might be the best place. Have a quick rules question? Then Facebook sounds like a logical place.

However, if you want to post a battle report and have an in-depth discussion on it that goes on for several days, then a forum is still the best place. Social media is very fast and immediate. It also very much lives in the present. If you don't visit an active Facebook group today, then you won't find what's been posted yesterday, unless you actively search for it. If you want to have a discussion about the best painting techniques for a model, then Instagram doesn't work as well, since after you've seen a picture, you have a hard time finding it again, simply because the algorythm favors new content. On a forum this is different. It's slower, discussions can run for days or weeks.

All in all, no forums didn't die because of Facebook. They still are a very viable place online. They just aren't for everyone, and they did lose some functions to social media.
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Icarion

#11 Post by Icarion »

Noble Korhedron wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:39 pm Agreed! I had another person say on Facebook - at least I think it was Facebook - that forums were outdated; does anyone agree, or is that just tech snobbery..?
It depends. I like both, but for their own purpose.
For discussions, pics, reading or just scrolling i prefer forums like this, because you can just "go back in time" if you wish and scroll through nice pics or look for a specific word to find that what you´re looking for. On insta or Discord you will probably scroll to death till you find something.
For events and information i prefer Facebook... but i admit, i am old (over 40) and all the young lads say, FB is for old people and hang out on other forms of social media.

But let´s be honest: It´s about the community! If you like it, you dont feel spammed, insulted or whatever it doesnt matter where you clicking around. :mrgreen:
Caledor for life!
Seredain
The Cavalry Prince

#12 Post by Seredain »

Giladis,

Thank you very much for the work you're doing keeping our vessel in ship-shape. Hope is always last to die but in this case, we actually have our reward with Old World. Hoorah!

As the others are saying I think a forum like this is super valuable. It's already been mentioned above that Facebook after a while will just knacker your eyeballs in a way that our soothing grey background will not.

But there's also the very key advantage (in my view) that reading text is much easier to do at work than watching Youtube videos or posting on Facebook. Past bosses of mine might disagree, but I feel like I've been able to subtly chew on a lot more hobby during work hours in our native written format!

My big concern technologically is that I can no longer persuade Photobucket to upload photos to the site. Since I'm now 40 I suspect human error. But either way I'm on the hunt for reliable upload options.

Any advice is most welcome!

Thanks again.

S
The Cavalry Prince - List Design, Tactics, Battle Reports

http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=33584
Giladis
The Merlord

#13 Post by Giladis »

The website now includes the ability to upload directly rather than having to host it on a different site. The attachments option the the full posting interface is the place to look at. :)
Seredain
The Cavalry Prince

#14 Post by Seredain »

Giladis I’m so glad to hear it, it’s great news!

Thanks. I’d better get this army finished.
The Cavalry Prince - List Design, Tactics, Battle Reports

http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=33584
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#15 Post by Prince of Spires »

another option you can check out is if you're backing-up your photos online somewhere. like google drive, one drive, or apple icloud. I know that one drive at least has an option which lets you generate a URL to embed images on other pages (like on our forum). I would expect the others to have some similar function. So you could always use that.

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
NHB

#16 Post by NHB »

Any chance we can up the number of Attachments? e.g. 20 Attachments but still limit total amount of MB? I would really like to report my "virtual" Battle Reports in one post, each Battle Chronicler is 100kb or so ..... https://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic ... 77#p955477
Daeron
Scotty? Laforge? Kaylee? Engy? Evil Wrench?

#17 Post by Daeron »

For hosting, I can green light that request. But I'll leave it to Ulthuan's admins to make a decision there. AFAIK there is no feature to limit the total size, only the number of attachments and size per attachments.
Oops
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#18 Post by Prince of Spires »

I've increased the maximum number to 20. Let's see how it goes. We can always reduce it back down again if people go too wild...

Check out my plog

NHB

#19 Post by NHB »

Beautiful :) Thanks guys!!

House of Evelar rises :)