The Old World Preorders are Jan 6th 2023

All discussions related to Warhammer: The Old World go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Morgen

The Old World Preorders are Jan 6th 2023

#1 Post by Morgen »

Just FYI for folks with interest. January 6th for preorders, January 20th for release. If the game has intetest it likely will go out of stock quickly from how Horas Herrasy went.

Also Happy New Year!
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: The Old World Preorders are Jan 6th 2023

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

Morgen wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:03 pm January 6th for preorders, January 20th for release.
Thanks for this Morgen.
Morgen wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:03 pm Also Happy New Year!
To you too and everyone else!
Giladis
The Merlord

#3 Post by Giladis »

I already ordered what I plan to get via local FLGS. :mrgreen:
sparkytrypod

#4 Post by sparkytrypod »

I am back for this, can't wait!
death is lighter than a feather, duty heavier than a mountain

do an rpg personality test, im from Ireland and I get...

[CENTER][url=http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.htm][img]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/24.jpg[/img][/url][/CENTER
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#5 Post by Prince of Spires »

Everything's out of stock for me. Though I must say, the website is also a mess. It took me 10 minutes just to find where to actually buy stuff... I'll drop into my FLGS one of these days and see if they can do anything for me :)

So far at least I like what I'm seeing.
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
TyrrenAzureblade

#6 Post by TyrrenAzureblade »

Prince of Spires wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:04 am Everything's out of stock for me. Though I must say, the website is also a mess. It took me 10 minutes just to find where to actually buy stuff... I'll drop into my FLGS one of these days and see if they can do anything for me :)

So far at least I like what I'm seeing.
That new website is so absolutely bad.
Morgen

#7 Post by Morgen »

Just part of how the internet is designed now. A bigger focus on phone designs. :/
Giladis
The Merlord

#8 Post by Giladis »

It isn't good on a phone either. As far as shopping experience goes GW webpage is just getting worse over the last 3 iterations and for the life of me I cannot understand why.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#9 Post by Prince of Spires »

Jups, it's bad on phones as well. It's just hard to find stuff. The whole thing makes little sense. Though perhaps I'm just more sensitive to it because I work in building websites, which makes me cringe at terrible design.

Anyway, I did drop into my FLGS and they did have a few preorder copies left. So I managed to find some books to buy at least :D

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#10 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:58 pm Anyway, I did drop into my FLGS and they did have a few preorder copies left. So I managed to find some books to buy at least :D
Splendid! Think I'm going to need all three books and the lists for armies not in those to get a proper overview.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#11 Post by Prince of Spires »

SpellArcher wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:51 pm
Prince of Spires wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:58 pm Anyway, I did drop into my FLGS and they did have a few preorder copies left. So I managed to find some books to buy at least :D
Splendid! Think I'm going to need all three books and the lists for armies not in those to get a proper overview.
Yeah. I'm going to end up getting 3 books at a minimum as well. And I'm sure that GW will print more of then if they think it's successful. They found a way to get lots of money from us again ;) At least this time it looks like money I'm willing to spend.

Check out my plog

Morgen

#12 Post by Morgen »

Well there are always more on launch day plus stores so it shouldn't be too difficult to get a book.
Last edited by Morgen on Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#13 Post by SpellArcher »

Morgen wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:30 am Well there are always moe on launch day
Good point. Getting close now isn't it.
Tethlis

#14 Post by Tethlis »

I'm going for the local game store too, one that's huge and has a solid reputation for GW inventory. I also found the GW site to be a mess, with preorders completely sold out once I even navigated it. Ugh.
Warden of Tor Galadh
Ielthan

#15 Post by Ielthan »

The GW site is near unusable now, I genuinely can't find a way to just browse anything that they aren't promoting on the front page. I basically just search for specific items and hope I get the spelling correct. No idea what they were thinking, this must be effecting sales, it's infuriating to use.

Any news on when they'll be restocking? Missed the preorders and currently in a part of the world that isn't Google friendly so can't check my Gmail to see what the response was from my FLGS! Even by gw standards I get the sense that they've hugely underestimated sales for the Old World; this game is going to be huge I can feel it, even the 40k fans who love the new, fairly questionable editions of 40k seem to think it's the best ruleset GW have released in a long, long time.
Giladis
The Merlord

#16 Post by Giladis »

*tinfoil hat on*

Seeing how long GW's stocking and online sales issues have been ongoing and how the scalper market is thriving I am cynical enough to suspect it might be intentional. Primarily from creating an appearance of exclusivity to be able to attain their products and thus keeping the prices high since they are "luxuries" but a little devil on my shoulder keeps poking that maybe there is some nefarious deal between GW sales/marketing and various scalpers.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#17 Post by Prince of Spires »

Giladis wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:47 pm *tinfoil hat on*

Seeing how long GW's stocking and online sales issues have been ongoing and how the scalper market is thriving I am cynical enough to suspect it might be intentional. Primarily from creating an appearance of exclusivity to be able to attain their products and thus keeping the prices high since they are "luxuries" but a little devil on my shoulder keeps poking that maybe there is some nefarious deal between GW sales/marketing and various scalpers.
The amount of stock they have is 100% intentional. They have been in this business for so long that they can probably estimate the number of sets of anything they can expect to sell to within a few hundred.

That means they're purposely going for the low end of their estimate (and probably even below that), and it makes perfect business sense.

For one, setting up a production process takes time and effort. Having a more stable process that creates the same amount of the same thing over a longer period of time is a lot more cost efficient than creating a whole lot now and then nothing for a long time. Assuming they want to keep the Old World going for a while then that already means they'll be short of stuff on launch.

Also, inventory costs money. It's money you have in stuff that's lying around in a warehouse that you can't spend on other things (even if other things is paying investors a divident). Again, having low stock makes perfect business sense. And as such, you want to only produce what you know for sure you can sell, and preferably a bit less.

That's just the manufacturing side. Having stuff go out of stock also helps create hype. If it's out of stock, then that must mean it's selling well, right? And if it's selling well, then other people are excited and that means it must be good, and all that.

What's more, if some stuff is out of stock, then you'd better get some of the left over stuff, since there's not telling when it will be in stock again, if ever. It means people will buy some stuff now they would otherwise buy later, just because they don't want to miss out. It also means that other people will think it's worth the asking price. so that's also a justification for the prices GW charges.

And that's without going into things like scalpers and using that to your advantage.

If anything, I think that for a release this size, if stuff hadn't gone out of stock, then the release would have been an unmittigating disaster for GW. And that would have killed TOW right out of the gate. So while it's annoying, be happy that stuff is out of stock.

Check out my plog

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#18 Post by SpellArcher »

Tethlis wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:43 am I'm going for the local game store too, one that's huge and has a solid reputation for GW inventory.
How did you do Tethlis? I scored Forces of Fantasy.
Ielthan wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:33 pm Even by gw standards I get the sense that they've hugely underestimated sales for the Old World
The GW I went to had (I think) a single copy of Ravening Hordes and one big Khemri box left at the end of Day 1.
Giladis wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:47 pm nefarious deal between GW
Oh dear.
Prince of Spires wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:22 pm What's more, if some stuff is out of stock, then you'd better get some of the left over stuff, since there's not telling when it will be in stock again, if ever.
Yep, almost laid down £30 I didn't have on Ravening Hordes.
Giladis
The Merlord

#19 Post by Giladis »

I am honestly surprised GW did something about scalpers. So in the end it was just incompetence rather than malice.
Ielthan

#20 Post by Ielthan »

Giladis wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:52 am I am honestly surprised GW did something about scalpers. So in the end it was just incompetence rather than malice.
What did they do? There certainly seem to be plenty of scalpers on ebay, one guy (not a store) sold more than 50 core rule books!
Giladis
The Merlord

#21 Post by Giladis »

Ielthan wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:52 am
Giladis wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:52 am I am honestly surprised GW did something about scalpers. So in the end it was just incompetence rather than malice.
What did they do? There certainly seem to be plenty of scalpers on ebay, one guy (not a store) sold more than 50 core rule books!
They managed to track bot users from last week's preorders and nuked their purchases and are implementing some kind of a code requirement for purchases that hopefully bots wouldn't be able to solve.
Ielthan

#22 Post by Ielthan »

Giladis wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:56 am
Ielthan wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:52 am
They managed to track bot users from last week's preorders and nuked their purchases and are implementing some kind of a code requirement for purchases that hopefully bots wouldn't be able to solve.
Good.

For those of us who can't wait/prefer using tablets etc. warhammer digital have all the new books, cheaper but not cheap:

https://www.warhammerdigital.com/new-exclusive
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#23 Post by Prince of Spires »

Got my big stack of blue books today.
Time to start reading.

Check out my plog

MasterOfNone

#24 Post by MasterOfNone »

Prince of Spires wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:10 pm Got my big stack of blue books today.
Time to start reading.
Oooh! Very tempted to follow suit.
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
Morgen

#25 Post by Morgen »

Envious! Still waiting for my books to arrive.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#26 Post by SpellArcher »

MasterOfNone wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:47 pm Oooh! Very tempted to follow suit.
Do it, my big rulebook arrived today!
Morgen wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:27 pm Envious! Still waiting for my books to arrive.
Any progress Morgen?
Morgen

#27 Post by Morgen »

Not yet, starting to hear about store stocks coming in. I'm trying to be patient, considering the winter storms in the area of the NA warehouse have a death toll I'm not going to be upset yet. Next week there will be an email though...
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#28 Post by Prince of Spires »

SpellArcher wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:23 pm
MasterOfNone wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:47 pm Oooh! Very tempted to follow suit.
Do it, my big rulebook arrived today!
Nice! What are your thoughts? I'm having fun going through it. Maybe I'll start a thread listing my observations.

Check out my plog

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#29 Post by SpellArcher »

Morgen wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:28 am the winter storms in the area of the NA warehouse have a death toll
What is it with the damn weather? Even here (and of course in a lot of countries) there's a storm every week or two and a few people die sadly.
Morgen wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:28 am Not yet, starting to hear about store stocks coming in.
Fingers crossed.
Prince of Spires wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:08 am What are your thoughts?
It's still Warhammer but there are a lot of subtle changes to read up on.
Morgen

#30 Post by Morgen »

It's a lot of how they don't have the infrastructure to handle it or the experience to deal with it. Car accidents, broken water pipes, lack of enough protective clothing and heaters and other stuff I'm sure.

Edit: Got my shipping notice this morning. Claims the end of the month. Woo!