Warhammer ToW

All discussions related to Warhammer: The Old World go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
NightHawk45

Warhammer ToW

#1 Post by NightHawk45 »

Howdy! It's been years since I've been to this forum, but I have fond memories of playing 8th edition and consulting y'all with different armies. I left the hobby, but with the return of Warhammer ToW, Im looking to get back into the hobby! Much thanks to those who run this forum and upgrade it.

I'd love to see a Warhammer The Old World section in the "Armies of Ulthuan" category. That being said who else here is excited for Warhammer The Old World? Are y'all going to play High Elves or pick up a new army. If so which one!?

I'll definitely be playing my high elves, but I also want to get a new army. Maybe Bretonnia.

Cheers!
Aesthete

Re: Warhammer ToW

#2 Post by Aesthete »

I'm getting pretty excited, and I'm definitely taking my High Elves out for a spin. Might give Slaanesh Chaos Warriors and Orcs & Goblins a whirl... or Beastmen. Maybe even Bretonnia. But High Elves first.
Formerly Modessa, but I forgot my password and associated email so I made a new account. Not that I did more than mostly lurk, but still...
elvenmage

#3 Post by elvenmage »

Looking forward to it for sure!
I've been slowly repainting and rebasing my old elves to the new system. Pretty excited about how much improvement I've made since my first elf army back in the day as well!
God made me an atheist. who are you to question his wisdom?

Death is hereditary.
Morgen

#4 Post by Morgen »

I'm very likely going to give this a try but I want to see everything before I decide if I'm going to reuse my elves. I want a little more flexibility and a little less glass cannoness.
wisetiger7

#5 Post by wisetiger7 »

I'll be jumping in as well. With the changes to base sizes, rather than rebase everything, I think I might try 3D printing an entire army.

I read about the infantry bases being consolidated into 25 x 25 mm, but I just noticed that cavalry are 30 x 60 mm. It makes sense from the hobby perspective, I guess; I've always found it a little cramped for my cavalry as the horses' flanks/riders' legs would cause gaps between bases. Even Phoenix Guard never fit very well together.
thelordcal wrote:Or he uses his big a$$ banner pole as a great weapon...
wisetiger7 wrote:That's what she said.
Asurion Whitestar wrote:I would normally delete such an off topic post, but this is just too good. Classic..!! :)
Aerendar Valandil

#6 Post by Aerendar Valandil »

No problem that cannot be solved with sabots.

I'm very willing to try the game, but f I don't like it, I'll gladly return tot WAP, Renaissance or even 9th Age.
TyrrenAzureblade

#7 Post by TyrrenAzureblade »

I started my High Elf army when The Old World was announced years ago. I'm at about 7000 points of 8th Edition High Elves painted and ready to take the field as a grand host of Ulthuan. I'm champing at the bit to get the rulebook, and start playing games as soon as is humanly possible. Since my group mostly plays 8th and 7th, we're not rebasing right off the bat. We may just keep our current base sizes and get base-adapters. But I personally have been all about this new edition and the last few days of waiting for the pre-order/release date are excruciating.
elvenmage

#8 Post by elvenmage »

wisetiger7 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:15 pm I'll be jumping in as well. With the changes to base sizes, rather than rebase everything, I think I might try 3D printing an entire army.

I read about the infantry bases being consolidated into 25 x 25 mm, but I just noticed that cavalry are 30 x 60 mm. It makes sense from the hobby perspective, I guess; I've always found it a little cramped for my cavalry as the horses' flanks/riders' legs would cause gaps between bases. Even Phoenix Guard never fit very well together.
Not all cav are on 30x60. Some are on the old cav sizes and there's a larger size as well.
I suspect light cavalry on 25x50, heavy cav on 30x60 and then super large things (dragon ogres? juggernaught riders?) on 40x60
God made me an atheist. who are you to question his wisdom?

Death is hereditary.
TyrrenAzureblade

#9 Post by TyrrenAzureblade »

From the official Old World Facebook account:

High elf standard infantry 25s
Dragons 60x100
All High Elf Cavalry 30x60s
All High Elf ground Chariots 50 x 100
Skycutter Chariot 60 x 100
Griffon 50
Pheonixs 50x100
Great Eagle 50s
Eagle-Claw Bolt Thrower 50s

For other armies, check out their feed: https://www.facebook.com/WarhammerTheOldWorld
Morgen

#10 Post by Morgen »

From watching the battle report they had on Warhammer+ it looked like there was a small change that makes a big difference in that the strength of the attack doesn't automatically reduce armor saves so...that's a good thing for the lightly armored elves. That makes me very ready to play High Elves and maybe get to roll armor saves this time around. XD
NightHawk45

#11 Post by NightHawk45 »

TyrrenAzureblade wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:45 pm From the official Old World Facebook account:

High elf standard infantry 25s
Dragons 60x100
All High Elf Cavalry 30x60s
All High Elf ground Chariots 50 x 100
Skycutter Chariot 60 x 100
Griffon 50
Pheonixs 50x100
Great Eagle 50s
Eagle-Claw Bolt Thrower 50s

For other armies, check out their feed: https://www.facebook.com/WarhammerTheOldWorld
I just came to post this! Glad to see it already here!
NightHawk45

#12 Post by NightHawk45 »

Also... Any chance of getting a section dedicated to The Old world on Ulthuan. net? I'll love you forever !
wisetiger7

#13 Post by wisetiger7 »

NightHawk45 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:47 pm Also... Any chance of getting a section dedicated to The Old world on Ulthuan. net? I'll love you forever !
I second!
thelordcal wrote:Or he uses his big a$$ banner pole as a great weapon...
wisetiger7 wrote:That's what she said.
Asurion Whitestar wrote:I would normally delete such an off topic post, but this is just too good. Classic..!! :)
TyrrenAzureblade

#14 Post by TyrrenAzureblade »

Morgen wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:14 pm From watching the battle report they had on Warhammer+ it looked like there was a small change that makes a big difference in that the strength of the attack doesn't automatically reduce armor saves so...that's a good thing for the lightly armored elves. That makes me very ready to play High Elves and maybe get to roll armor saves this time around. XD
It seems like there's still plenty of AP going around though, I suspect High Elves will still be glass cannons. Great weapons aren't changing, I think I remember somewhere it was said Halberds being the same, and now Longbows have Armour Bane (1). I do like that separating AP from S is going to be great for introducing all kinds of army specific weapons like the Kopesh (S as user, AP 1) used in the Battle Report. I'm hoping they make the Great Weapons in the High Elf army rules unique to the faction so they have S2, AP 2 and don't include the Strikes Last rule. With Step Up being removed, I really do hope Speed of Asuryan comes back, or our WS is ratcheted to kingdom come, otherwise we may be looking at a repeat of 6th edition High Elves and that ruleset sucked for anybody wanting to field Infantry focused lists. I suspect I'm going to be playing a lot of Bretonnians in the near future and I'm not looking forward to I8 knights on the charge, with Disrupt, and Pegasus Knights with Furious Charge.
Giladis
The Merlord

#15 Post by Giladis »

We are looking at options on how to follow up on the ToW release and the expected rise in traffic.

I have a personal project and a project for Ulthuan to accompany the release, so keep your eyes peeled. :)
Morgen

#16 Post by Morgen »

Well of course I'm not always expecting to roll our infantry's not amazing 5+ armor saves at all, but at least people don't get to double dip automatically with high strength armor piercing weapons. Think with charges only being a like +3 initiative bonus if the elves are swift they shouldn't need an army wide always strikes first kind of rule. Just being fast should be good enough!

I hope there's some more interest in things. Not sure how much is just people on discord now adays. I think facebook is dying off at least, thankfully.
Morgen

#17 Post by Morgen »

I'm more surprised the skycutter, the phoenixes or the dragons are going to be a thing.
TyrrenAzureblade

#18 Post by TyrrenAzureblade »

Morgen wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:22 pm I'm more surprised the skycutter, the phoenixes or the dragons are going to be a thing.
I'm surprised you're surprised! They've been showing the models in photographs for a while now. I'm glad they're keeping them, otherwise those models would be sitting around collecting dust in my display case. It does seem odd that they'd increase the base size on the Skycutter and Dragon to a 60mm frontage, they fit really well on the 50x100. I'm also very glad for the combined profiles because now my Prince on Dragon will finally start making more appearances on the table since it stands less of a chance of outright being cannonballed to death in the first turn. Now I hope there's a Great Eagle with rider kit coming out, along with our own Unicorn and/or Pegasus. Anything you hope they add to the faction?
Morgen

#19 Post by Morgen »

Flexability and not a whole always strikes army that my friends complain about and it looks like we got it. :)

Some kind of new great eagle kit (with mount options) would be nice though!
Bolt Thrower

#20 Post by Bolt Thrower »

I’ve just started catching up on this return to ToW. I don’t know if I will be able to play much but reading about what’s in store I began to feel an itch to get my elves out and dust them off for fun. I may be interested in running cavalry heavy armies, but I’ll want rulebooks in hand before deciding.

I haven’t touched anything since 8th ended, so it’s been a minute. Good to come back here and see that there is still some life! Looking forward to following ulthuan.net once again!
Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
Bolt Thrower's High Elves
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#21 Post by SpellArcher »

Bolt Thrower wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:37 pm Looking forward to following ulthuan.net once again!
Welcome back BT and indeed everyone! Exciting time in the (Old) world right now.
anorexia

#22 Post by anorexia »

i wholeheartedly agree with previous posts. Dont know why, but GW has a special skill - bringing ppl together. I live in a small town and only I play t9a there. With TOW news, 3 ppl came back and they are printing treys, we talk about rules and rosters. Miracle. Seriously. Those 3 frends did not play in like 4/5 years. Even Dark Elf player is not bummed out. He will have a "book". Thats all he wants.
Strange times.
But good times. I just wanna play with my friends...even if they put 10 gyros. i dont mind (they wont)
NightHawk45

#23 Post by NightHawk45 »

Giladis wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:57 am We are looking at options on how to follow up on the ToW release and the expected rise in traffic.

I have a personal project and a project for Ulthuan to accompany the release, so keep your eyes peeled. :)
I'm hoping we get emoji support. Slack has spoiled me. I talk more with emojis now than words