9th Edition rumours

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Bolt Thrower

Re: 9th Edition rumours

#241 Post by Bolt Thrower »

I've been wavering back and forth a lot this week as more leaks were coming out. I think overall there is a small hope that things can turn out ok. The part of me that was most worried was glad to hear that old armies will have downloadable warscrolls available this weekend along with the rules. That means that for ZERO dollars, I get to try out the new game. I like that.

The core rules being so simple and the element of the warscrolls puts me in mind of Star Wars: X-Wing. The rules themselves are very simple, but the more expansions that are released the more rules and abilities you start to have to create unique lists and play styles. Sometimes those expansions add a new rule that was not included previously and a little rule card is included to explain how the rule works. I like this because the gameplay over the years can ebb and flow much easier as those releases happen as opposed to waiting 5+ years for a new edition.

As for things I don't like, well, these models just don't appeal to me at all. They are so clunky in their wannabe 40K armour. I'm hoping any future elf (a.k.a. Aelf now I have to remember) releases maintain some kind of lithe, graceful appearance in comparison.

I also don't like that the 96 pager seems only destined to be in the Sigmar box, unless I missed a rumour saying otherwise. I'd like to pick that up by itself.

It is bound to be interesting! But I'll be reserving judgment until I have all the warscrolls and play some primer games.
Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
Bolt Thrower's High Elves
John Rainbow

#242 Post by John Rainbow »

I find the lack of points values... disturbing...
sparkytrypod

#243 Post by sparkytrypod »

Ielthan wrote:
Teledor wrote:
+1 to that.
Ha ha. F me for expressing an opinion on something I've cared about for 20 years right?
not directed specifically at you, its just funny and a GOT reference, whats not to love!

I think anyone who reads these kinds of forums has alot of time/cash invested in the hobby, including myself.
death is lighter than a feather, duty heavier than a mountain

do an rpg personality test, im from Ireland and I get...

[CENTER][url=http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.htm][img]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/24.jpg[/img][/url][/CENTER
Bolt Thrower

#244 Post by Bolt Thrower »

John Rainbow wrote:I find the lack of points values... disturbing...
You are not alone! However, until the scrolls are out I can't land on either side of the fence to say it is fine or terrible.

And I imagined you saying that in your best Darth Vader voice.
Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
Bolt Thrower's High Elves
sparkytrypod

#245 Post by sparkytrypod »

It could be a breath of fresh air...

however i did get into fantasy for the epic unit based large battle style of wargame, so i am a bit torn.

i dont like the new priests in power armour models much. Chaos models look cool.

Be interested to see the first elf release...

warscrolls are a cool way of constantly updating the game i think, as an elf release /box could be followed by a human release, havin a constantly evolving meta. Metas could get stale very fast in traditional whfb, these should keep this game evolving. One new warscroll/unit could shake things up.

force organisation has me a bit worried tho..
death is lighter than a feather, duty heavier than a mountain

do an rpg personality test, im from Ireland and I get...

[CENTER][url=http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.htm][img]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/24.jpg[/img][/url][/CENTER
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#246 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

warscrolls are a cool way of constantly updating the game i think, as an elf release /box could be followed by a human release, havin a constantly evolving meta. Metas could get stale very fast in traditional whfb, these should keep this game evolving. One new warscroll/unit could shake things up.
Agreed on all of that. and the free rules is great. It's just to bad they didn't make these positive steps a long time ago, rather than throwing the baby out with the bath water.
Teledor

#247 Post by Teledor »

SpellArcher wrote:I think it's the aesthetics SM. The Sigmar guys just scream 'Space Marines' and that's what most 40K players like. Plus if you are used to a skirmish system, it's an easier switch than to a massed-battle game.

Yeah, I'm hearing possible battle rules too. Who knows?
Pretty much what I was feeling. Holding out hope for a mass battle system.
demonwalker

#248 Post by demonwalker »

My group has basically decided if Age of Sigmar is all that is to come, and not a second larger scale game, then we're going to rewrite 8th edition. Based on the recent pics, we're already starting. Only the Dwarftonia player has any hope, and he was saying they're going to release every army book all at the same time they release the rules for a full scale game.
teep

#249 Post by teep »

I'm very curious about the reactions of the various bigger tourney scenes once the waiting is over.
To be honest, I feel almost ashamed about how little I care about AoS on a personal level. Sure, I've
'invested' a fair bit of money, but I feel thats money well spent since my first love clearly was the hobby aspect of WHFB and I can paint up my fancy new army that I've just put together any way I like.
Same with gaming, really. In my little and insignificant group, we can continue playing 8th until they kick us out of the retirement home, if AoS is going to be as atrocious as many people think it to be...
Well, and if it's any good, I can play two games :)

Regarding WHFB, us Germans are a quite conservative bunch, so I can't really imagine anything beyond sticking to something like C.o.m.b.a.t. or ETC, if the new game is crap and 9th never comes. What do you guys think how the -still uncertain- future might impact your competitive scene?
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#250 Post by SpellArcher »

Daeron
Scotty? Laforge? Kaylee? Engy? Evil Wrench?

#251 Post by Daeron »

Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote:Units have to maintain 1" gap between the models - that essentially makes it a skirmishing system.
Just a small note there. The exact wording is: "A unit must be set up and finish any sort of move as a single group of models, with all models within 1" of at least one other model from their unit."

There doesn't have to be a gap. There can be a gap, up to 1". Ranked units are 100% legal, but everything can deploy like a skirmish unit as well.
Oops
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#252 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Good point Daeron! That actually sounds interesting. You can expand formation to cover more space and contract to have more models in 3" for piling up.

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Galharen
Master of Brushes

#253 Post by Galharen »

Terminator conga-lines:p
John Rainbow

#254 Post by John Rainbow »

My fingers are still crossed as we haven't yet heard if Age of Sigmar is the real deal new fantasy or if a new 'big brother' version is coming...
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#255 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

I am still trying to get over that "skirmish" type of a new product. Even if there are some additional rules for bigger conflicts, would that really matter? It is still the feel of leaders + warbands rather than units/armies one I was looking for.

I am not saying AoS is not going to be a good experience, I am not saying new releases are not going to be cool. But there is a reason I haven't picked up LotR or Warmachine or 40K before and at this stage it looks to me that AoS is a mix of these.

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Nyeave

#256 Post by Nyeave »

I read the entire new rule set and I must admit for a casual player like myself it looks quite interesting. It’s simple and I can play it on a regular table (my dining table was a foot to narrow for 8th edition tables so either you lacked most of your deployment zone or flyers could charge first turn) which means I will get a lot more games in.
Balance will be something that will have to be seen – and in any case the rules leave plenty of room for house rules.
Right now I can’t wait until the scrolls for existing units comes out and I can start planning a real battle.

Only concern so far is still that even though it states bases are only for scenic purposes, I am certain I can cram a lot more swordmasters within 1’’ (this seems to be the normal striking distance of a weapon) of the enemy during the pile in move if they are on 20 mm squares than if they are on 25 mm rounds, but it will have to be seen how much of a difference it makes.

I will however miss the sight of ranks upon ranks of elves walking into battle :(
Visit my plog at [url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=43542[/url]
Aicanor
Rainbows

#257 Post by Aicanor »

So, with full rules leaked and war scrolls for AoS as well, did someone think of taking a few Space Marines to proxy the models and trying the rules out?
What I get from the leaks is that they left most of the rules work on the players. I can't imagine playing 'from the box' with anything but the new models will be much fun. Or perhaps it will be too much fun. :mrgreen:
I also suspect the early rumours saying old models will be usable, but disadvantages are accurate. The units I believe will be one wound, one attack mostly, and the models will count as equal to the more elite ones. Less effective units suffering from being more numerous (to get the same power), so stronger armies will have less models and will be able to choose 'sudden death' objectives on top of it. Of course it may be a non issue as anyone can spam anything in any quantities.
So, the rules are quite light and quick to learn, but several more pages have to be devised by players to have a decent game? Of course, I might be completely wrong as I have no time to play test games. :lol:
Daeron
Scotty? Laforge? Kaylee? Engy? Evil Wrench?

#258 Post by Daeron »

Well, the IoB unit chart didn't include point values, composition and unit sizes either. So I'm guessing these rules are mostly to get started with the new box or the general concepts.
Oops
Aicanor
Rainbows

#259 Post by Aicanor »

Daeron wrote:Well, the IoB unit chart didn't include point values, composition and unit sizes either. So I'm guessing these rules are mostly to get started with the new box or the general concepts.
It is a possibility, although I am a bit pessimistic at the moment. With rules for all old models, I believe this is it for some time. I definitely hope there will be more at some point.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#260 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

I don't know if any of you have seen the size comparison picture that's out there right now, but it's not encouraging. I'm hoping it's photoshopped...
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#261 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Yes, but with IoB starter set it didn't say you can have as many models in the unit either and they didn't tell you upon the release that you need to forget everything you know about the game. In fact, you could assume that you could use the 7th edition army book until 8th edition one is released. Not to mention it could have been just sloppy design of a leaflet for starter set by GW.

Let's optimistically assume there is a big version of the rules in the pipeline. Apart from the fact they explicitly said there will be no rulebook nor army books ever, what would you expect?

Another interesting note, so no army books etc. but war scrolls. For every model in your collection. I guess you better start printing them out and put them into a single folder for the upcoming games. Of course there will be digital version of each. Hm, flicking through several files during the game is not something I might be looking for, especially at the beginning. And assuming GW will be releasing new models regularly to sustain the sales, that will create quite a big data base for war scrolls only.

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#262 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

I did, and no, it is not. This is how big the model is. Expect more like that later one because GW is interested in selling more models so there is no incentive for them that you keep using existing collection. The war scrolls for the miniatures they have produced so far are not intended to let you do that, merely to try new game asap.

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#263 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

If fully agree that it's the direction they are going.

I'm just holding out a tiny hope that it is photoshopped, because if it's not there will be nothing at all to look forward to in this new game.

Other than the fact that I'll pick up the HE plastic kits I don't have because it's not all that many more things to pick up to have an a collection that's complete. And probably there will be a lot of armies up for sale at good prices for at least a short while. Maybe I'll improve my wood elves and get the dark elves or dwarfs that I've long been considering. We'll stick with modernized 3rd for a long time to come.

The strange thing about this new game is that it doesnt' look like they've fixed the turn mechanic at all. If there is a place where GW is behind everyone else it's that, and it seem they didn't touch it.
Brian Mage

#264 Post by Brian Mage »

I've been silent for months. Life takes over sometimes

But...

Without repeating everyone's comments about personal and financial investments etc..,

I can't believe they are literally about to shelve fantasy battle. The game that set them off to the big time. The game that allowed them a seat at the table where they negotiated the rights to Lord of the rings (when LoTR was the biggest franchise in the planet)

If. IF they have then surely the community will revert back to 7th or 8th and just ignore them.

Sure, play the new game. It looks fun actually. But there is no need to cancel WHFB just so they can release sword space hulk without the small board.
[color=#FF0000][url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32214]The Order of the Mage Knights[/url][/color]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31665]My Painting Blog - High Elf Storm Troopers & Tree Hugging Hippies[/url]

It's the Schrodinger's Cat of rules. Until the FAQ, the interpretation can be inferred as both true and false correctly
Brian Mage

#265 Post by Brian Mage »

Ps

My sig just reminded me of the FAQ joy!!
[color=#FF0000][url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32214]The Order of the Mage Knights[/url][/color]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31665]My Painting Blog - High Elf Storm Troopers & Tree Hugging Hippies[/url]

It's the Schrodinger's Cat of rules. Until the FAQ, the interpretation can be inferred as both true and false correctly
Aicanor
Rainbows

#266 Post by Aicanor »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:I don't know if any of you have seen the size comparison picture that's out there right now, but it's not encouraging. I'm hoping it's photoshopped...
I guess it is logical to expect End Times unit standard. And that is why I expect no new Elves for some time. They just do not fit very well to the new Space Marine spirit of the game.
There is one good thing about it - no models appealing to me => saving a lot of money. :lol:
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#267 Post by SpellArcher »

Given the upsizing, whether I like the new 'elf' models (whenever they appear) could be decisive in whether I take AoS up or not. Old stuff will likely look too small and if I don't love the models I'm playing with, what's the point?

Early signs are the big guns on the UK independent scene will go with AoS.
Ladril Caledor

#268 Post by Ladril Caledor »

Can't find this size comparison picture anywhere. But if I remember correctly it did say in White Dwarf that those stormcast eternals are far larger than normal men. This might not mean that all new releases are going to be bigger than we are used to. Either way I think most Age of Sigmar games will be played with mostly 'old' models for a long time after this release.

Just a few days till we see all the battlescrolls. I really, really hope they have put a lot of thought into them. I feel the rules have potential to be good but the battlescrolls are going to make or break this for me. Please GW let swordmasters and dragons be awesome!
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#269 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

None of the battle scrolls so far make me think that more than 30 seconds of thought went into them.
Aicanor
Rainbows

#270 Post by Aicanor »

Found a mention of elves (Aelf now). So Tyrion managed to screw up again. I knew it! :lol: https://mobile.twitter.com/Lady_Atia/st ... 8914308096
It seems all the races are really renamed. There are bubble realms based on eight winds of magic. Chaos got most of them, but now the Sigmarines are going to try and reconquest them. And sigmarite is now a kind of metal. :mrgreen:

In other news, there seem to be formations for the AoS box...