Can you choose how you are closing the gap?

Discuss your tactics for the 8th Ed army book here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Andros123

Can you choose how you are closing the gap?

#1 Post by Andros123 »

Forgive my poor knowledge on the matter, but I really have a hard time figuring this out.
Imagine a situation in which your opponent has a bigger front on a unit than you. It could be a horde of bulls with characters in the frontline vs. your 5-man wide swordmaster unit. If you make the charge, can you then place your unit in any way you like as long as you are putting as many in to combat as possible?

It could also be a situation when you charge with a Phoenix into a unit with a really tough lord, and you want to avoid this guy. Are you allowed to do this, as long as you maximize close combat participants?
Nicene

Re: Can you choose how you are closing the gap?

#2 Post by Nicene »

Yes and yes. Perform the midcharge wheel in such a way that you maximize models in contact. This often allows you plenty of freedom in how exactly you line up. Be sure to consider things like:

Countercharges
Safety of your own wizards if your unit is wider
Overruns of your unit
etc.

when lining up. Of course, in your phoenix example, enemy characters are allowed to Make Way! to get into the fight if necessary.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=61399]my MSU army list/battle reports[/url]

[quote="Nyeave"]Omg it's a parrot chariot - a parriot... :D[/quote]
Andros123

Re: Can you choose how you are closing the gap?

#3 Post by Andros123 »

Okay, thank you for the answer. I really appreciate it.

I'm trying to find a way to protect my lvl. 4 AM :D