Space marine successor chapters colour schemes?

A forum for all other games which don't fit into the other gaming forums. Elves (and other races) in other tabletop wargame systems. The place to discuss systems like, Mordheim, Warmachine, Infinity and Warthrone. But also topics that relate to any other game such as 40K, Dropzone Commander, board games or PC/Console gaming belong here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Chracian

Space marine successor chapters colour schemes?

#1 Post by Chracian »

Thinking of using my space marine models for a different chapter. I haven't decided yet, but possibly blood angels, space wolves or imperial fists. These all have specific colour schemes that I'm not that keen on (plus I don't want to repaint everything).

So, is it possible to paint these chapters different colours than they normally are, call them successor chapters and use the rules and army list for that chapter? For example, could I paint them bright blue but still have them as space wolves?

Thanks in advance.
"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
— Terry Pratchett
saintjon

Re: Space marine successor chapters colour schemes?

#2 Post by saintjon »

I think all those chapters are listed as having subsidiaries so I don't see why not. My friend for a while was thinking of painting his sm's slightly differently than blood angels and using the name from one of the successor chapters or whatever and using their rules. Anyone that would gripe about you wanting to paint creatively like that is probably a dink. Fluff-wise aren't crimson fists a successor type deal to the imperial fists? Yet their colour schemes are about as different as night and day.
tiekwando2

#3 Post by tiekwando2 »

You can paint them however you want, just probably don't put an ultramarine badge on them. But other than that, go for it.

If you want to make some concession, use one of the colors for the army as a secondary or tertiary color. It really is not necessary though.

As a side note imperial fists use the standard space marine codex, and special characters can be count as, so lysander for instance can be used in an ultramarine army.
Bishop

#4 Post by Bishop »

As long as you call them a successor chapter, but not one that has a well known colour scheme.. you should be fine.

The idea of incorporating some secondary colours is a good idea to tie them in. (ie. use some yellow or space wolf grey on all the models... even though the main colour is UMBlue.)
[list][img]http://www.asrai.org/nagathi/slaanesh.jpg[/img]
[b][color=violet][u]UiF Record:[/u][/color] W:22 [/b]/ L:5 / D:2 [b]Kills:241[/b][i]BG Commander[/i]
[img]http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/1459/lvl1.jpg[/img]

[u]Fantasy:[/u] [color=#FFBF00]Bretonnians - 3k[/color], [color=#FF0000]Vampire Counts - 3k[/color], [color=#FF00BF]Beast of Chaos- 1.5k[/color]
[u]40k:[/u] [color=#40FF00]Eldar - 6k[/color], [color=#800080]Dark Eldar - 3k[/color], [color=#40BFBF]Chaos Marines - 3k[/color], [color=#000000]Witchhunters- 2k[/color]
[/list]
Chracian

#5 Post by Chracian »

Thanks for the advice! I'm actually leaning towards crimson fists, as I like the Rynn's world fluff but again, don't like the colour scheme. Also, the rules for Pedro Kantor seem to fit my style of playing better, plus sternguard get to be scoring units and I love my sternguard.

However (and here's another question) I was thinking of making a 'counts as' Pedro Kantor using the space marine commander box set and make him up using the same equipment i.e. a power fist and storm bolter. do you reckon this would be ok as well? The idea being that I would have a different looking army than other crimson fists. Thanks again.
"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
— Terry Pratchett
saintjon

#6 Post by saintjon »

Well, you're playing a counts-as deal anyhow so I don't see why not. You're still WYSiWYG so yeah, game start just say "Hey man my chapter is my own unique Comet Riders or whatever but I'm using this model as pedro kantor." No bubbles no troubles IMO

If I played SM I would use Kantor all day as well. How sweet is mass Stubborn and scoring sternguard? Kantor himself isn't bad either although I wish he had better armour. Doesn't seem right that a chapter master doesn't at least artificier armour on. At least he gets his nice Iron Halo ward save (it's so much easier to say "ward" than "invulnerable" isn't it?)
Waaagh

#7 Post by Waaagh »

Well yeah, why would there be a problem?
Another question is their use in tournaments which I don't have experience on but on friendly level of gaming I don't think anyone has anything against it :D
Infact my friend Luna has a modified army of space wolves (and high elves) himself so this should prove the point :D
Dwarven gravitational theory states that enough ale will make anything fall down.