Ulthuan Rallies for War

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: Ulthuan Rallies for War

#181 Post by Prince of Spires »

They certainly look ready to charge :)

With those models, it's no wonder they got the impetuous rule...
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
TyrrenAzureblade

#182 Post by TyrrenAzureblade »

Finished an entry into the WHFB Discord's Little Waaaaagh! competition and forgot to post it here! Time to go back into hibernation again until I muster the energy to paint ten more Sea Guard, a Skycutter and maybe another dragon with magnetized Dragon Mage, Archmage, and Prince (hoping to model him after Imrik using some handy bits.

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#183 Post by Prince of Spires »

Those are great. Very crips and clean. I like how the mage both matches the units in his color scheme and also stands out as an individual character.

Please don't hibernate too long, since I want to see more!

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#184 Post by SpellArcher »

I especially like the Dragon Princes. The standard centres the unit beautifully.
TyrrenAzureblade

#185 Post by TyrrenAzureblade »

Wellp, those base adapters finally showed up and they were a wash. They printed them in hard plastic as opposed to the soft plastic they advertised in their video. I was hoping for something that would be easy and damage-free when placing on my old bases. I'm also realizing how different GW 20mm bases are in terms of actual size. I may find some kind of spray on rubber to achieve the effect I want, but not sure. This was a huge let down.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#186 Post by SpellArcher »

TyrrenAzureblade wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 1:46 am Wellp, those base adapters finally showed up and they were a wash. They printed them in hard plastic as opposed to the soft plastic they advertised in their video. I was hoping for something that would be easy and damage-free when placing on my old bases. I'm also realizing how different GW 20mm bases are in terms of actual size. I may find some kind of spray on rubber to achieve the effect I want, but not sure. This was a huge let down.
Bummer.

:(
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#187 Post by Prince of Spires »

TyrrenAzureblade wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 1:46 am Wellp, those base adapters finally showed up and they were a wash. They printed them in hard plastic as opposed to the soft plastic they advertised in their video. I was hoping for something that would be easy and damage-free when placing on my old bases. I'm also realizing how different GW 20mm bases are in terms of actual size. I may find some kind of spray on rubber to achieve the effect I want, but not sure. This was a huge let down.
I have a friend with a 3D printer who is printing me some movement trays to get to the correct base sizes. I'll see how that goes. It does sound like a good enough option, since I'm not looking forward to rebasing my entire army...

Check out my plog

TyrrenAzureblade

#188 Post by TyrrenAzureblade »

Prince of Spires wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 1:13 pm
I have a friend with a 3D printer who is printing me some movement trays to get to the correct base sizes. I'll see how that goes. It does sound like a good enough option, since I'm not looking forward to rebasing my entire army...
Yeah, I may go that route, the only problem then becomes getting the proper foot print when you redress wider or longer than your movement tray. I suppose just having a lot of different trays for different configurations would be the answer. I'm gonna see if there's anyway I can easily apply something like a gasket to the inside of the adapters so they create enough of a friction fit without damaging the paint on the rim of the base. Hope you post pictures of your army all set up on the new movement trays!
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#189 Post by Prince of Spires »

TyrrenAzureblade wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 11:16 pm Yeah, I may go that route, the only problem then becomes getting the proper foot print when you redress wider or longer than your movement tray. I suppose just having a lot of different trays for different configurations would be the answer. I'm gonna see if there's anyway I can easily apply something like a gasket to the inside of the adapters so they create enough of a friction fit without damaging the paint on the rim of the base. Hope you post pictures of your army all set up on the new movement trays!
Indeed, redressing means a whole bunch of work. It doesn't happen all that much in my games, so I'll be fine I think. And in the few instances where it does happen, then having one or two models not the exact correct width is good enough. I'll put up some pictures if I get some.

Have you considered using magnets to attach your models to the adapters if you don't want to glue them?

Check out my plog

TyrrenAzureblade

#190 Post by TyrrenAzureblade »

Prince of Spires wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:40 am
Indeed, redressing means a whole bunch of work. It doesn't happen all that much in my games, so I'll be fine I think. And in the few instances where it does happen, then having one or two models not the exact correct width is good enough. I'll put up some pictures if I get some.

Have you considered using magnets to attach your models to the adapters if you don't want to glue them?
The problem with these adapters is that they have an opening through the bottom. But now you've given me an idea. I may just magnetize my 20mm bases and glue steel sheet to the bottoms of the adapters. Guh, that sounds like so much work though, and I'd have to find someone that can cut like 200 25mm squares of thin sheet metal. I could apply steel sheeting to the movement trays, but that kinda leaves me with the same problem as just using adapter trays and not dependably be able to redress the ranks accurately. I'm gonna try some experiments in the coming month.
TyrrenAzureblade

#191 Post by TyrrenAzureblade »

I put the army on the base adapters, and holy hell, it's so much bigger in terms of its footprint. I think the solution I'm going with is magnetizing the bases, then gluing metal bases from Shogun miniatures to the bottoms of the adapters so they can just stick on with the miraculous power of magnets. I guess I'm going to have to put the paintbrush down for a bit while I get those all glued... jeeeezus... and then paint and flock them all.

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#192 Post by Prince of Spires »

That's a pretty looking army alright :)

And I agree that the footprint increases a lot. It doens't sound like a lot, but increasing both the length and the width by 25%, increases the size by over 50%... And you're not even skirmishing the sisters yet, which can easily double their footprint again.

Good luck with magnetizing them all. That's a lot of work ahead.

Any plans for taking the army for a fight?

Check out my plog

TyrrenAzureblade

#193 Post by TyrrenAzureblade »

Prince of Spires wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 12:37 pm Any plans for taking the army for a fight?
They've been in quite a lot of scraps already, mostly on their old bases, some on spaced movement trays (which I ultimately abandoned because of all the redressing and reforming I was using), but haven't gotten a chance to battle on the new base adapters yet. Hopefully this weekend I can get in a game. So far I've been able to face off against Beastmen, Dwarfs, the Empire, Skaven, Warriors of Chaos, and Wood Elves. I wish I had more photographs, but I always end up getting way into the game and forget to get photos.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#194 Post by Prince of Spires »

I know that feeling. Remembering to take photos is hard :)

How did they perform for you?

Check out my plog

TyrrenAzureblade

#195 Post by TyrrenAzureblade »

Prince of Spires wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:40 am I know that feeling. Remembering to take photos is hard :)

How did they perform for you?
I'm happy to say I am currently undefeated. There was almost a draw in a battle with a Warriors of Chaos army, but I realized after the battle that my opponent hadn't counted the points for captured banners, which comfortably put me ahead by enough to call it a victory.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#196 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 12:37 pm That's a pretty looking army alright :)
Looking as fine as ever.

:)
TyrrenAzureblade wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 4:32 pm Skaven
Does their list seem good and full-featured for play Tyrren? Given it's not from the core books.
TyrrenAzureblade wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 5:54 pm I'm happy to say I am currently undefeated.
Doing Ulthuan proud!
TyrrenAzureblade

#197 Post by TyrrenAzureblade »

SpellArcher wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 12:49 pm
TyrrenAzureblade wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 4:32 pm Skaven
Does their list seem good and full-featured for play Tyrren? Given it's not from the core books.
Yeah, I'd say so, they've got a very strong caster in the Grey Seer on Screaming Bell, an anti-infantry monster in the Hell Pit Abomination, and with how combat works now, they have decent cheap core with the Clan Rats with shields and Stormvermin that don't immediately break and flee when you field less than 50 of them in 10 ranks. My opponents didn't field a lot of shooting so I didn't run into Gutter Runners with poisoned thrown weapons which I hear are a very strong skirmishing unit, or Jezzails, but they did field Warp Lightning cannons and those were strong when they rolled super high on their range and strength. Daemonology seems to be the lore of choice, I ran into a unit of Plague Monks that were enchanted with Daemonic Vessel. Thankfully they flubbed their roll, but each model in base contact had four S4 attacks!

Definitely have some ideas for how I want to build out my own Skaven force in the future.
TyrrenAzureblade

#198 Post by TyrrenAzureblade »

Played a very interesting 1250 point match versus Dwarfs. My opponent had a King, a Thane (non-BSB), Ironbreakers, Longbeards, Irondrakes, Rangers, Ogre mercenaries, a Gyrocopter and Organ gun. I had 30 Spearmen (Shieldwall, Veteran, War Banner), 20 Swordmasters (Rampaging Banner, Drilled, Cloak of Bears), a lv.4 Warden of Saphery Archmage (Loremaster's Cloak, Silvery Wand, Seed of Rebirth) and a BSB on Griffon (Dragon Helm, Full Plate, Lance, Shield, Seed of Rebirth, Pure of Heart). So two blocks of infantry (Mage was with the Swordmasters), and a noble on Griffon. One anvil. And one hammer.

My main strategy was to get them into close combat as soon as possible to avoid the shooting from the Gyrocopter, Irondrakes, Rangers, Organ Gun and the Cinderblast bombs from the Ironbeard. This strategy worked fairly well, and Walk Between Worlds basically kept my Swordmasters whole until the one turn I miscast a Fury of Khaine and got a Power Drain. My big block of Spearmen got pretty lucky with some bad rolling for my opponent's shooting, but managed to make it into the Longbeards, I managed to charge them while they were in a Marching Column which really helped out. But once they Fell Back in Good Order and reformed, my Spearmen lost steam. But they did hold the right flank long enough to have my Swordmasters cleave through the Ogre mercenaries, the Irondrakes, and then reformed them to be in the Longbeard's rear while they pursued my Spearmen. My opponent's Organ Gun kept rolling 2s and Misfires on his artillery dice, so thankfully it wasn't too impactful. My Griffon wiped out the Rangers that deployed in my zone on my right flank, and then moved to support the Swordmasters against the Longbeards. Ethereal and Fury of Khaine on Swordmasters was just absolute misery for my opponent since they had opted to forego a hard magic counter for more bodies and shooting. In the end, I lost my Spearmen, but my BSB, Archmage General, and about 33% of my Swordmasters were still on the board, while I had wiped out the Rangers, the Irondrakes, the Ogre Mercenaries, the Gyrocopter, the King, a lone Longbeard fled off the board, and the unit of Ironbreakers fled from a failed Terror test against my Griffon, but managed to rally in their last turn right before running off the board.

I think having the big block of Spearmen helped get them into combat against so much shooting, but the real MVP was Walk Between Worlds. It kept my Swordmasters untouched until the miscast. That with Fury of Khaine made them absolute blenders. And definitely took advantage of Drilled to get as many attacks as I reasonably could.

All in all it was a fun game, but I was white knuckling it from the start with just two blocks and a flying monster. Oh, and Cloak of Beards was great for reducing leadership and forcing Terror checks. Don't think I'll leave home without that one.