Silver Helms Discussion

All discussions related to Warhammer: The Old World go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
saga

Silver Helms Discussion

#1 Post by saga »

I will be slow burning a new High Elf army using Ystlund's excellent 4th Ed-ish sculpts

As in 8th and now in TOW the HE core infantry seems... a bit underwhelming. However, Silver Helms seem quite appealing! Anyone care to share their thoughts or experiences trying to fulfill our core requirements using these sons of... nobles?

My thoughts are to fill core using 2x units of 8-10 and a minimum unit of Reavers. Cav Prince, Cav Noble BSB, Cav Archmage. Supported by a couple of Tiranoc chariots, small unit of Dragon Knights, a couple of eagles, one small unit (14ish) each of White Lions and drilled Sword Masters. I am hoping that move through cover on the WLs and drilled marches on the SMs will help them move fast enough to support the faster moving units. Eagles will try to do eagle things, mostly helping facilitate the charges I want.

tl;dr What does everyone think of Silver Helms?
Csjarrat

Re: Silver Helms Discussion

#2 Post by Csjarrat »

I think they seem decent, they're reasonably durable, not too expensive and can hit reasonably hard. They're going to need a lot of support when dealing with protracted combats as they're not going to have much static combat Res so either don't put them into big blocks or support them with some ranks/banners and heroes that can get some kills on the board
an interesting variation on my usual playstyle, which is 'charge forward, forward for the love of khaine, we can fight better than any of them and they can't shoot into melee why is our armor so thin ohgodcannons'
Tethlis

#3 Post by Tethlis »

Once again they remain the one high elf core unit that can do combat. For ToW, they're also the only way to get high enough unit strength into a fight that you might actually break something outright rather than bump it around. I think they're a great unit to form the basis of almost any list around.
Warden of Tor Galadh
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#4 Post by Prince of Spires »

I personally think that 2 units of reavers and the rest of core filled with SH is probably our strongest option.

Reavers are fast and cheap enough to be useful redirectors, which means you can save those points from the Rare Eagles. And then SH hit harder and faster than the other core options. Perhaps archers are a decent alternative, if the meta ends up such that S3 shooting actually does something.

I would put all Sh in a single big unit, instead of 2 smaller ones. You probably want to go 7 wide to maximize the number of attacks you're getting, and getting an extra rank in there will then be worth it. It also means you can lose a few models and still be combat effective. At 8 models, you start losing attacks very quickly. So probably something like 2 X 5 Reavers, 14-16 SH, and then the rest with archers, depending on points of course (and I'm too lazy to calculate that at the moment...)
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
TyrrenAzureblade

#5 Post by TyrrenAzureblade »

Since my primary anvil unit is Phoenix Guard, Silver Helms are great for filling out core. In smaller point games, I like them in 5 model units, with the intention that they'll support combats by charging into flanks to disrupt and generate combat resolution. But in bigger point games, and if you intend to make them a combat block/Cavalry Prince bus, I would agree with Prince of Spires. I've been using them in a unit of 11 with a Prince in the unit so they're six wide. Seven is probably better, but that's what I've been using so far. I do wish they had Ithilmar Weapons to help them in the grind a bit because they can be tough to hurt if the opponent doesn't have AP, but they hit like a wet noodle if they don't get to pursue into a FBIGO or restrain to charge in their turn.
The Peacemaker

#6 Post by The Peacemaker »

In my Empire army I run MSU knights in core. This can be easily applied to HBE. Probably more effectively due to better elf stats.

MSU is the way to go in this game.
The min sized squad has close order do by running 2 units instead of 1 big one, you gain an extra combat res from close order. You can add a champ and or banner if you like too.
And multiple small units lets you maneuver into good positions and then get flank charges.

If tourneys start enforcing 0-3 limits then I'll probably abandon Empire and switch to HE, run 3 Silver Helms and 1-2 Reavers in core.
NHB

#7 Post by NHB »

Prince of Spires wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:01 am I personally think that 2 units of reavers and the rest of core filled with SH is probably our strongest option.

Reavers are fast and cheap enough to be useful redirectors, which means you can save those points from the Rare Eagles. And then SH hit harder and faster than the other core options. Perhaps archers are a decent alternative, if the meta ends up such that S3 shooting actually does something.

I would put all Sh in a single big unit, instead of 2 smaller ones. You probably want to go 7 wide to maximize the number of attacks you're getting, and getting an extra rank in there will then be worth it. It also means you can lose a few models and still be combat effective. At 8 models, you start losing attacks very quickly. So probably something like 2 X 5 Reavers, 14-16 SH, and then the rest with archers, depending on points of course (and I'm too lazy to calculate that at the moment...)
All Eggs in one Basket:

# Main Force [1241pts]

## Characters [741pts]
Archmage [299pts]: Hand Weapon, High Magic, Wizard Level 4, Elven Steed, Hand Weapon, Silvery Wand, Spelleater Axe, The Cloak of Beards, Seed of Rebirth (5+++, Magic Res (-2), Causes Terror, High Magic, does mostly not need Line of Sight, will reside in Rank 2)
Noble [210pts]: Hand Weapon, Shield, Full Plate Armour, Barded Elven Steed, Barding, Battle Standard Bearer, Rampaging Banner, Giant Blade, Seed of Rebirth, Blood of Caledor (2+, 6++, 5+++ , S5 Strikes First AB-2, WS+1 MW(2), reroll charge dice)
Prince [232pts]: Hand Weapon, Shield, Full Plate Armour, General, Ogre Blade, Seed of Rebirth, Blood of Caledor (2+, 6++, 5+++, S6 Strikes First, WS+1, AP-2, AB-1, MW(D3)

## Core [500pts]
Ellyrian Reavers [95pts]: Skirmishers
• 5x Ellyrian Reaver [18pts]: Elven Steed, Hand Weapon, Hand Weapon, Light Armour, Cavalry Spear, Shortbow
Elven Archers [50pts]:
• 5x Elven Archer [10pts]: Hand Weapon, Longbow
Silver Helms [355pts]:
• 13x Silver Helm [24pts]: Barded Elven Steed, Barding, Hand Weapon, Hand Weapon, Heavy Armour, Lance, Shield
• 1x High Helm [31pts]: The Loremaster's Cloak
• 1x Standard Bearer [6pts]
• 1x Musician [6pts]

You can deploy 5 wide and keep the mage in Rank 2
You can deploy the Archer Dart or the ER in front to prevent Impetuous T1.
You might not even care, Walk Between Worlds is 5/6
55% of your points in one unit.
When caught by a big bad monster, you are stuck, unless Vauls Unmaking comes up good.