A Look at High Elf Rules in The Old World

All discussions related to Warhammer: The Old World go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Pash

Re: A Look at High Elf Rules in The Old World

#571 Post by Pash »

Ielthan wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:07 pm Just noticed that there's nothing in the book saying that great eagles are monstrous cavalry when mounts....so great eagle mounted characters do not count as skirmishers (so no 360 degree los)..surely one for them to errata. That crazy T5 royal pegasus is monstrous cavalry with a chaos lord wannabe on top :(
Sadly not. It looks like the only armies with access to Monstrous Cavalry mounts for characters are: Brets, Empire, Orcs & Gobbos, Chaos, and Woodies. So not super common but very powerful ability.
Some old has-been.

Twitter:@kingpash

Glory to the Asur!
NHB

#572 Post by NHB »

Halinn wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:35 am
Ielthan wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:07 pm Just noticed that there's nothing in the book saying that great eagles are monstrous cavalry when mounts....so great eagle mounted characters do not count as skirmishers (so no 360 degree los)..surely one for them to errata. That crazy T5 royal pegasus is monstrous cavalry with a chaos lord wannabe on top :(
Eagle-mounted characters are indeed mountrous creatures, just like griffon- or phoenix-mounted ones.
one more reason for chariot mounts, hype :D
NHB

#573 Post by NHB »

Might I also propose the "external Magic Item" for Unbreakable on the Dragon Prince:
- Mage L2, Elven Steed, High Magic (revert to Courage of Aenarion) 8+ with re-roll should work most of the times.

or
- Mage L1, Elven Steed, HM (CoA) Power Scroll.

I hope someone can math-hammer the differences...

Cast spell, run away. Fated dispel unlikely.
Ielthan

#574 Post by Ielthan »

NHB wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:06 pm Might I also propose the "external Magic Item" for Unbreakable on the Dragon Prince:
- Mage L2, Elven Steed, High Magic (revert to Courage of Aenarion) 8+ with re-roll should work most of the times.

or

Yeah that 1st turn courage of aenarion on stuff and then run away is going to induce so much opponent rage. Unbreakable spearmen pinning things will be great, makes me wonder if shieldwall is worth it on them given you can almost guarantee getting this spell off on a level 4 before combat starts (so maybe 2 attempts at casting it, each with a reroll, so 4 attempts to roll a 6 on 2d6). For the dispel to they have roll equal to the 10+ or over it? Either way it's very tough if it's a fated dispel.
Morgen

#575 Post by Morgen »

I would like to say that the idea that you cast a spell and then run your mage away to prevent dispel attempts is both cowardly and very unsporting. Remember this isn't 40k or Magic the Gathering. You should be enjoying a game with others, even in a tournament environment, and not be trying to win at all costs with whatever rules loophole you've found. I'm not saying anyone in this thread is doing it or was planning to do it, but know that those that do have my disdain.

It's probably also not a great idea to move your wizards out of range to be able to dispel your opponents spells. I've seen enough battle reports with wizards not getting to even attempt to dispel things and it's really pathetic to watch them trying in vain to stay 23.99999 inches apart.
TyrrenAzureblade

#576 Post by TyrrenAzureblade »

Morgen wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:56 pm I would like to say that the idea that you cast a spell and then run your mage away to prevent dispel attempts is both cowardly and very unsporting. Remember this isn't 40k or Magic the Gathering. You should be enjoying a game with others, even in a tournament environment, and not be trying to win at all costs with whatever rules loophole you've found. I'm not saying anyone in this thread is doing it or was planning to do it, but know that those that do have my disdain.

It's probably also not a great idea to move your wizards out of range to be able to dispel your opponents spells. I've seen enough battle reports with wizards not getting to even attempt to dispel things and it's really pathetic to watch them trying in vain to stay 23.99999 inches apart.
You're of course entitled to your opinion, but I hardly see this as "unsporting." It's a tactical decision to move your mage. Like you said, you could very well be out of range to dispel, and that's a downside to the tactic. But using ranges and movement to your advantage is the name of the game. I've had opponents use this against me, and it hasn't ruffled my feathers, and I don't think it should. I think it's disingenuous to categorize it as a Win At All Costs move, it's not trying to find some absurd edge case or loophole, these are rules as written and intended.
Cirion RedDragon

#577 Post by Cirion RedDragon »

Well, something like a 'spell & flee' tactic would be highly appropriate and totally in character for Goblin Shamen or Skaven Seers.
For artificially 'squishy' armies such as Elves, it just makes good tactical sense. If you're playing Wood Elves, you pretty much have to play like that to have any chance at all.
As for cowardly, unsporting, loppholes etc.it is a sad fact that when rules lawyers and power gamers dominate the field - as they most certainly did when I last played - you have little choice but to stoop to their level unless you don't mind getting trounced off the table in turn 3 in every single game.
And not just in tournaments. They play like that ALL the time.
Warhammer in particular - more so than other game systems - seems to bring them out in droves, maybe it's all the special rules.
They'll pull out Chaos gift after Chaos gift until your General is a spawn, your lance basically crippled, your Sorceress dead and that's before the first dice have even been rolled....
Pretty tough to be brave and sporting after that.
NHB

#578 Post by NHB »

Ielthan wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:54 pm
NHB wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:06 pm Might I also propose the "external Magic Item" for Unbreakable on the Dragon Prince:

or

Yeah that 1st turn courage of aenarion on stuff and then run away is going to induce so much opponent rage. Unbreakable spearmen pinning things will be great, makes me wonder if shieldwall is worth it on them given you can almost guarantee getting this spell off on a level 4 before combat starts (so maybe 2 attempts at casting it, each with a reroll, so 4 attempts to roll a 6 on 2d6). For the dispel to they have roll equal to the 10+ or over it? Either way it's very tough if it's a fated dispel.
You have to beat the original casting value, so need an 11+ on a fated.
Funny enough on the Quick Reference it mentions equal to is enough for dispel, but anywhere else it is always mentioned that you need to beat the result (and that's how I have seen it played in every single battle report).

whfb.app even added a note about it: https://tow.whfb.app/magic/dispel-roll- ... pel-result
Ielthan

#579 Post by Ielthan »

Morgen wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:56 pm I would like to say that the idea that you cast a spell and then run your mage away to prevent dispel attempts is both cowardly and very unsporting. Remember this isn't 40k or Magic the Gathering. You should be enjoying a game with others, even in a tournament environment, and not be trying to win at all costs with whatever rules loophole you've found. I'm not saying anyone in this thread is doing it or was planning to do it, but know that those that do have my disdain.

What an incredibly arrogant, opinionated and ignorant comment.

Playing the game well and within the rules is not "win at all costs" or unsporting. Even in a casual game it's not fun if my opponent is just terrible at the game. Moving your wizard out of dispel range is no different to making sure your units aren't within charge range. Your interpretation of "honourable" would be a boxer throwing a punch then dropping his hands so his opponent can hit him back in the face.

It's not abusing a loophole like 8th edition conga lines it's a literal mechanic of the game designed to play this way, otherwise why even bother with dispel ranges they could have left it as unlimited range like previous editions?

Maybe think a bit more before writing such insulting drivel next time.
NHB

#580 Post by NHB »

Ah, I don't know, that seems a bit far fetched. I mean, where do you draw the line. If your opponent only brings two Level 2s, will you actively move your level 4 into their 18" bubble, for it to be more fair? or will you not suicide charge an eagle into an opponents mage unit to make him unable to dispel for that turn? If the opponents mage is on foot and deployed on the flank, isn't it exactly an ideal strategy to deploy your secondary mage on the other flank? To have free reign?

Looks like a L4 on Steed with Plague of Rust / Summon Elemental Spirit / Wind Blast / Courage of Aenarion is a 279 pts killing machine.

Plague of Rust for -2 to Armour, then Elemental Spirit just behind the target, then Wind Blast. For an L4 on a 5+ / 5+ / 4+ with a re-roll.
The target being at -2 Armour will be hit by 4-6 S5 hits with AP -1 for total Armour -3, then be pushed into the Vortex for another 4-6 S4 hits with AP -1 for a total of Armour -3. Then the unit needs to make a dangerous terrain test. and lose 1/6 models. Then you throw in the Fireball from Ruby Ring.

Only to be hit again at the start of their turn, when the vortex moves by dangerous terrain and again 4-6 S4 hits with Armour -3.
Giladis
The Merlord

#581 Post by Giladis »

I sort of agree with Morgen. While there are certainly scenarios where such an action would be fitting it being a "go to tactic" to me is imersion breaking and would not look favourable on such actions even if I acknowledge them as legitimate.
Ielthan

#582 Post by Ielthan »

Giladis wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:23 am I sort of agree with Morgen. While there are certainly scenarios where such an action would be fitting it being a "go to tactic" to me is imersion breaking and would not look favourable on such actions even if I acknowledge them as legitimate.
So if say an opponent does this with drain magic would you really find that immersion breaking? If it's so terrible why did they put in dispel ranges at all? Why do more powerful wizards have greater range? Why are there literal items extending this range? If this isn't a mechanic they intended to be played around it wouldn't be in the game.

A high elf mage wanting to stay far away from combat, or just about any mage for that matter hardly seems immersion breaking to me. They're not idiots to seek out close combat or stupidly let themselves get peppered with arrows; which are similar ranges. I mean the majority of naval warfare for the past 300ish years has been based on the superior vessel trying firing at the edge of it's maximum range and keeping itself out of range of reprisal by being faster than the opponent. Even now that's basically what aircraft carriers do. Is this all "dishonourable"? Seems to me Morgen doesn't want to play high elves but some monty pythonesque version of bretonnians.
NHB

#583 Post by NHB »

Giladis wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:23 am I sort of agree with Morgen. While there are certainly scenarios where such an action would be fitting it being a "go to tactic" to me is imersion breaking and would not look favourable on such actions even if I acknowledge them as legitimate.
I mean, sure, I also agree somewhat. I think there are a lot of topics that could be considered a little, somewhat or overly, gamey in the current rules. Naval Disciplining out of charge range, a few things come to mind.

Bringing a Dragon to a 1250 pts game is an ass move, but you can. I think playing around positioning and movement and charge arcs has always been Warhammer Fantasy core functionality, hence why it is called chess with painted figures and dice. The Elves (of all flavors) have always been on the knife's edge of balancing correctly. Even with Strikes First across the board and 1st, 2nd or 3rd best Magic in the game. Where they were called crazy overpowered. A zombie or skaven slave still hits you on 5+, wounds you on 4 or 5+ and your Armour is only 5+. And is 3x cheaper (Spearmen) or 5-6x cheaper (elites). I advocate that Sisters are the best infantry model in the game right now. Still, they need a good game to clear an opposite amount of Zombie pts in a 6 Turn game. And 2 Magic Missiles delete them off the table if you are not bringing a Loremasters Cloak.

If there are only bully players in your community, maybe it is time to open up a new player group that looks down upon that and instead wants to bring fluffy lists and pre-agree e.g. no T6 monsters, no unkillable Dwarven Lord, etc. etc.
NHB

#584 Post by NHB »

The Chracian Forests are empty, aka: How many Lion Chariots can you fit in 2000 pts. Answer: Yes.
Ridiculous stuff like this is possible, like the 18 Gyrocopters or "all Minotaurs" or tripple Dragon list....

High Elf Realms - Maybe Settra does kneel - [1997pts]

# Main Force [1997pts]

## Characters [850pts]
1x Archmage[219pts]
• 1x Archmage[219pts]: Hand Weapon, Pure of Heart, Elven Steed, Hand Weapon, Wizard Level 4, Illusion or maybe High Magic, Seed of Rebirth
1x Noble[258pts]
• 1x Noble[258pts]: Hand Weapon, Shield, Battle Standard Bearer, Chracian Hunter, Full Plate Armour, Seed of Rebirth, Chracian Great Blade
: 2x Lion Charioteer, Chracian Great Blade, Hand Weapon, 2x War Lion, Hand Weapon
1x Prince[373pts]
• 1x Prince[373pts]: Hand Weapon, Shield, General, Chracian Hunter, Full Plate Armour, The White Sword, Dragon Helm, Seed of Rebirth
: 2x Lion Charioteer, Chracian Great Blade, Hand Weapon, 2x War Lion, Hand Weapon

## Core [522pts]
1x Silver Helms[283pts]
• 10x Silver Helm[24pts]: Barded Elven Steed, Barding, Hand Weapon, Hand Weapon, Heavy Armour, Lance, Shield
• 1x High Helm[31pts]: The Loremaster's Cloak
• 1x Musician[6pts]
• 1x Standard Bearer[6pts]
1x Silver Helms[239pts]
• 9x Silver Helm[24pts]: Barded Elven Steed, Barding, Hand Weapon, Hand Weapon, Heavy Armour, Lance, Shield
• 1x High Helm[11pts]: Charmed Shield
• 1x Musician[6pts]

## Special [250pts]
2x Lion Chariot of Chrace[125pts]
• 1x Lion Chariot[125pts]: 2x Lion Charioteer, Chracian Great Blade, Hand Weapon, 2x War Lion, Hand Weapon

## Rare [375pts]
3x Lion Chariot of Chrace[125pts]
• 1x Lion Chariot[125pts]: 2x Lion Charioteer, Chracian Great Blade, Hand Weapon, 2x War Lion, Hand Weapon
bkevs84

#585 Post by bkevs84 »

NHB wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:25 pm The Chracian Forests are empty, aka: How many Lion Chariots can you fit in 2000 pts. Answer: Yes.
Ridiculous stuff like this is possible, like the 18 Gyrocopters or "all Minotaurs" or tripple Dragon list....

High Elf Realms - Maybe Settra does kneel - [1997pts]

# Main Force [1997pts]

## Characters [850pts]
1x Archmage[219pts]
• 1x Archmage[219pts]: Hand Weapon, Pure of Heart, Elven Steed, Hand Weapon, Wizard Level 4, Illusion or maybe High Magic, Seed of Rebirth
1x Noble[258pts]
• 1x Noble[258pts]: Hand Weapon, Shield, Battle Standard Bearer, Chracian Hunter, Full Plate Armour, Seed of Rebirth, Chracian Great Blade
1x Prince[373pts]
• 1x Prince[373pts]: Hand Weapon, Shield, General, Chracian Hunter, Full Plate Armour, The White Sword, Dragon Helm, Seed of Rebirth

## Core [522pts]
1x Silver Helms[283pts]
• 10x Silver Helm[24pts]: Barded Elven Steed, Barding, Hand Weapon, Hand Weapon, Heavy Armour, Lance, Shield
• 1x High Helm[31pts]: The Loremaster's Cloak
• 1x Musician[6pts]
1x Silver Helms[239pts]
• 9x Silver Helm[24pts]: Barded Elven Steed, Barding, Hand Weapon, Hand Weapon, Heavy Armour, Lance, Shield
• 1x High Helm[11pts]: Charmed Shield
• 1x Musician[6pts]

## Special [250pts]
2x Lion Chariot of Chrace[125pts]

## Rare [375pts]
3x Lion Chariot of Chrace[125pts]
Re majigger that arch mage to also be in a chariot with illusion and spectral doppelganger, they hit like a freight train if you get it off and other wise still like a chariot. Would lose a chariot out of special or rare. But 2d6 S5 AP-3 hits plus crew, lions and chariots, should clear a very large volume of models off of a unit.

A lvl 2 with a power scroll and lore familiar should in theory be able to caste it with a highish degree of certainty to make a cheaper ish nuclear option
Ielthan

#586 Post by Ielthan »

NHB wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:04 pm
I mean, sure, I also agree somewhat. I think there are a lot of topics that could be considered a little, somewhat or overly, gamey in the current rules. Naval Disciplining out of charge range, a few things come to mind.

Bringing a Dragon to a 1250 pts game is an ass move, but you can. I think playing around positioning and movement and charge arcs has always been Warhammer Fantasy core functionality, hence why it is called chess with painted figures and dice. The Elves (of all flavors) have always been on the knife's edge of balancing correctly. Even with Strikes First across the board and 1st, 2nd or 3rd best Magic in the game. Where they were called crazy overpowered. A zombie or skaven slave still hits you on 5+, wounds you on 4 or 5+ and your Armour is only 5+. And is 3x cheaper (Spearmen) or 5-6x cheaper (elites). I advocate that Sisters are the best infantry model in the game right now. Still, they need a good game to clear an opposite amount of Zombie pts in a 6 Turn game. And 2 Magic Missiles delete them off the table if you are not bringing a Loremasters Cloak.

If there are only bully players in your community, maybe it is time to open up a new player group that looks down upon that and instead wants to bring fluffy lists and pre-agree e.g. no T6 monsters, no unkillable Dwarven Lord, etc. etc.
Comp packs have existed for decades a reason. Tournaments will make them again it's just far too early. GW are bad at balance, they always have been, even in 40k where they have huge amounts of data and are actively trying to make it more balanced, it's still terrible. If you want to play a really balanced game play 9th age, otherwise you can refuse to play someone (it's awkward but most veteran player have done it at one time or another), or wait for comp packs.

Seems a bit odd you talk about "bully players" then in the same breath talk about bringing together people who look down on others. If you want to be really rigid about lists and what people can play write a campaign with preset lists, otherwise you don't get to dictate how other people practice their hobby. Also I find this attitude quite ironic as the last 2 editions of the game before TOW a lot of people really hated playing against high elves, and were convinced our army was just disgustingly broken (even though there was no reflection of this in tournament results...).
Ielthan

#587 Post by Ielthan »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?item= ... Complete=1

Can only assume this guy was a member here at some point, shame to see someone sell an army like that, but on the other hand check out those prices! Hope the wife never realises how much my silly toys are worth!
Halinn

#588 Post by Halinn »

NHB wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:08 am Looks like a L4 on Steed with Plague of Rust / Summon Elemental Spirit / Wind Blast / Courage of Aenarion is a 279 pts killing machine.

Plague of Rust for -2 to Armour, then Elemental Spirit just behind the target, then Wind Blast. For an L4 on a 5+ / 5+ / 4+ with a re-roll.
The target being at -2 Armour will be hit by 4-6 S5 hits with AP -1 for total Armour -3, then be pushed into the Vortex for another 4-6 S4 hits with AP -1 for a total of Armour -3. Then the unit needs to make a dangerous terrain test. and lose 1/6 models. Then you throw in the Fireball from Ruby Ring.

Only to be hit again at the start of their turn, when the vortex moves by dangerous terrain and again 4-6 S4 hits with Armour -3.
If I'm not reading Elemental Spirit wrong, the hits from it is only when it moves, rather than when a unit moves over it. The dangerous terrain should still apply, but only to models that actually go through the template (so not the whole unit)
NHB

#589 Post by NHB »

Halinn wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:52 pm
NHB wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:08 am Looks like a L4 on Steed with Plague of Rust / Summon Elemental Spirit / Wind Blast / Courage of Aenarion is a 279 pts killing machine.

If I'm not reading Elemental Spirit wrong, the hits from it is only when it moves, rather than when a unit moves over it. The dangerous terrain should still apply, but only to models that actually go through the template (so not the whole unit)
mhh good point. Since the unit is giving ground it should stop when touching it. But then next turn, it moves and starts as being in touch with the unit, so regardless which direction it moves, should count as a hit on the unit, no?
NHB

#590 Post by NHB »

Ielthan wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:58 pm
NHB wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:04 pm

Comp packs have existed for decades a reason. Tournaments will make them again it's just far too early. GW are bad at balance, they always have been, even in 40k where they have huge amounts of data and are actively trying to make it more balanced, it's still terrible. If you want to play a really balanced game play 9th age, otherwise you can refuse to play someone (it's awkward but most veteran player have done it at one time or another), or wait for comp packs.

Seems a bit odd you talk about "bully players" then in the same breath talk about bringing together people who look down on others. If you want to be really rigid about lists and what people can play write a campaign with preset lists, otherwise you don't get to dictate how other people practice their hobby. Also I find this attitude quite ironic as the last 2 editions of the game before TOW a lot of people really hated playing against high elves, and were convinced our army was just disgustingly broken (even though there was no reflection of this in tournament results...).
Maybe that didn't come out right. If there are players that go out of their way to make you have bad hobby evening / day - or they themselves can only have a good time if it means you are having a bad time. Than that is a problem. And yeah, then maybe as you mention, just don't engage / comp packs etc. or find / make a better group....
Tethlis

#591 Post by Tethlis »

Tournament play often makes for fun, exciting games because both players are likely to know the rules, know their armies, and play to a level of mutually agreed decorum.

It's the time I spent playing "casually" at Battle Bunkers which were the least fun games I ever had. Suddenly everything was subjective to whether or not a player thought something was "fun" or "fair". If you ever brought up a rule or something that your opponent simply didn't know about, they thought it gave them permission for a tantrum. Tournament play sets expectations for rule knowledge and fair play.
Warden of Tor Galadh
Ielthan

#592 Post by Ielthan »

How are people finding our chaff?

The role of it seems a lot more aggressive and not very good at being evasive. No feigned flight on reavers is making me consider musicians on them, rallying on an 8 is a bit iffy. The other issue is it means they don't auto rally immediately, so a wizard using reavers as a bunker can't then dispel if you flee whereas they could if they had feigned fight. Really wish they had a shield option.

Also our poor great eagles are measly ld6, so while they can redirect they can't really flee. Both are probably even better at going after warmachines though.

Shadow warriors have been the surprise package for me, they don't put out any damage frankly beyond plinking off the odd t3 chaff model, but they are great at being annoying with chariot runners, feigned flight, fire & flee, evasive and veteran.

Sisters are great for their punch, but with immune to psych they're not actually that flexible.
sparkytrypod

#593 Post by sparkytrypod »

I agree on shadow warriors, they are a useful unit for the points. I don't expect them to do any damage, but if you play them correctly with evasive & fire and flee your oppent may over allocate resources to clearing them instead of just ignoring them.
death is lighter than a feather, duty heavier than a mountain

do an rpg personality test, im from Ireland and I get...

[CENTER][url=http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.htm][img]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/24.jpg[/img][/url][/CENTER
Rogmund

#594 Post by Rogmund »

There is a chaf unit i figured out, 5 spearmen in marching colmun, the dart, 15 inch move!
What is the deal with chariout runners how do we use them?
Also is there a trick with the horn of isha im missing, LD8 with no reroll for an excelent buff, that u wont get every 2nd or third game?
anorexia

#595 Post by anorexia »

Guys, quick question.

Magic weapons and special rules.
If my character has a special rule, like killing blow or poison...those special rules apply when i have a magic weapon??
Can i get a RB page to the rule? Cant find nothing about it.

regards
Ielthan

#596 Post by Ielthan »

Rogmund wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:26 pm There is a chaf unit i figured out, 5 spearmen in marching colmun, the dart, 15 inch move!
Also is there a trick with the horn of isha im missing, LD8 with no reroll for an excelent buff, that u wont get every 2nd or third game?
The spearmen dart is an interesting idea! Not sure why minimum unit size is 5 haha.

I'm using shadow warriors with chariot runners and feigned flight to screen my lion chariot lord. Reduces him being shot by either totally blocking line of sight or giving hard cover. It definitely will take me time to master, but basically I use them to let my chariot move up field. If an enemy charges them, they flee and then get charged by my Chariot Lord (he can charge directly through them), it's an obvious ploy though so I'm finding they actually don't tend to get charged by anything other than fast cav, which they can use fire and flee against. Otherwise they get magic missiled off which is less good....but they're chaff after all.

Yeah horn of isha is...interesting. The best way I can see to make it a bit less rubbish is putting her in a unit that has veteran (e.g. phoenix guard, seaguard), the rule states if the majority of the unit has the rule they can reroll any leadership test (but not break tests), so this should let her reroll the horn if isha test, which on ld8 is okish.
Rogmund

#597 Post by Rogmund »

Maybe its covered somewhere and i didnt see it, does vauls unmaking completly destroy the weapon/armor or does it leave it its mundane state?
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#598 Post by Prince of Spires »

Rogmund wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:18 pm Maybe its covered somewhere and i didnt see it, does vauls unmaking completly destroy the weapon/armor or does it leave it its mundane state?
It's rendered completely useless and can't be used for the rest of the game. So it's gone (which is different from how it worked last edition).
NHB wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:49 pm
Halinn wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:35 am
Eagle-mounted characters are indeed mountrous creatures, just like griffon- or phoenix-mounted ones.
one more reason for chariot mounts, hype :D
Is there a difference here between monsters and chariots? From what I can find in the rules, they function the same:
BBB p205: A character on a ridden monster or chariot adopts the formation of their mount

Both monsters and heavy chariots have Lumbering, which makes them closed formation (and grants you a 90 degree pivot). And characters only become Lone Characters when they're infantry or cavalry. Nothing about chariots.
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Giladis
The Merlord

#599 Post by Giladis »

The main difference is that it makes them immune to Monster Slayer. A character on Chariot is immune via their new unit type to the two main "auto kill" USR-s.
Rogmund

#600 Post by Rogmund »

Ielthan wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:22 am
Rogmund wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:26 pm There is a chaf unit i figured out, 5 spearmen in marching colmun, the dart, 15 inch move!
The spearmen dart is an interesting idea! Not sure why minimum unit size is 5 haha.

I'm using shadow warriors with chariot runners and feigned flight to screen my lion chariot lord. Reduces him being shot by either totally blocking line of sight or giving hard cover. It definitely will take me time to master, but basically I use them to let my chariot move up field. If an enemy charges them, they flee and then get charged by my Chariot Lord (he can charge directly through them), it's an obvious ploy though so I'm finding they actually don't tend to get charged by anything other than fast cav, which they can use fire and flee against. Otherwise they get magic missiled off which is less good....but they're chaff after all.

Yeah horn of isha is...interesting. The best way I can see to make it a bit less rubbish is putting her in a unit that has veteran (e.g. phoenix guard, seaguard), the rule states if the majority of the unit has the rule they can reroll any leadership test (but not break tests), so this should let her reroll the horn if isha test, which on ld8 is okish.
The faq on veteran units and character joining them is a bit .. weird. They answer with NO, than go on and explain that you can. Atleast thats how i interpret it :) Q: Can a character without the Veteran special rule that has
joined a unit with the Veteran special rule benefit from it
when attempting to use a special rule that requires them to
make a Leadership test (Rallying Cry, for example)?
A: No. When a character attempts to use a special rule that
requires them to make a Leadership test, they must use their own
Leadership characteristic and, unless specifically stated otherwise,
cannot use any additional special rules they themselves do not have