(Almost) first step in 9th age.

All discussions related to games of fantasy battles such as AoS, T9A, KoW, MESBG, WAP, Warmaster, etc go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Aerendar Valandil

(Almost) first step in 9th age.

#1 Post by Aerendar Valandil »

Second time I played a gamelet of 9th Age.

1000 points Bretonnia (Aquitain) against Lizardmen.

Two units of 7 and 6 respectively of Feudal Knights, a unit of Men at Arms, a BSB and a Lady with Druidic magic. Agains a hero on mount, a unit of 10 saurus and a cavalry saurus unit of 6.

My Men-at-Arms held agains the onslaught of a hero on Saurus mount for three turns (5, 6 and 5 on break test, helped by the regrowth spell), until they luckily rolld three sixes to wound - which was followed by triple ones on Armour saves!

In the meantime a failed charge of the mounted saurus was followed by a charge of the two knight units, fho slaughtered the mounted lizards and followed up out of the charge arc of the foot saurus. They regrouped and charged the foot saures and exterminated them.

Bret win.

I like it, but at this point I like WAP better and that is played mostly in my meta. But I don't mind playing the game once in a while.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: (Almost) first step in 9th age.

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

Aerendar Valandil wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:37 pm I like it
I'm not surprised, that was brutal!
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#3 Post by Prince of Spires »

Aerendar Valandil wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:37 pm I like it, but at this point I like WAP better and that is played mostly in my meta.
That's a good combination :)

It does sound like you have a fun skirmish. Do you think the hero characters too strong? Given that you needed 3 6's followed by 3 1's to deal with him... It might be more an issue at this points level, where you lack numbers. Tripple the size of you unit, and suddenly rolling 3 6's becomes less of a challenge.
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Aerendar Valandil

#4 Post by Aerendar Valandil »

I would no conclude that from this fight. Men at arms with sword and shield should have hard time against a fighty hero on an beast, I think.
GemmalCaple

#5 Post by GemmalCaple »

Do you find the hero characters in the 9th Age to be appropriately balanced, especially in smaller point games where unit size may be a limiting factor?
GeorgeNuh

Re: Ridden monster BSB and Ba….

#6 Post by GeorgeNuh »

Is it possible for a High Elf character to ride a monstrous creature equipped with a Battle Standard Bearer and Banner of Avelorn, creating a formidable and unique combination on the battlefield? What strategies and tactics can be used to optimize this unconventional setup?
Giladis
The Merlord

#7 Post by Giladis »

A BSB can indeed ride a Griffon or a Dragon if with Queen's Cavalier honour. Though I am unsure what banner do you mean under "Banner of Avelorn" in T9A?