4000 Point game - HE vs Lizardmen

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Bergenomics

4000 Point game - HE vs Lizardmen

#1 Post by Bergenomics »

Good morning community. New member here and decided to post about a big game I had with my brother. We play several games a year and every Christmas we always play a big game. This year's didn't disappoint. We have been mulling over some house rules, I am curious about peoples thoughts on them: Cavalry gets 1impact hit/model in front rank on a charge (Silver helms get 5 S3 hits on charge for example). Monstrous Cav gets D2 impact hits on charge. We decided to implement it this game. Also mulling over adding a rule for spears so they are more effective vs cavalry. Something along the lines of, When charged by cavalry on 6s they make an extra attack, or wound automatically (similar to poison). Thinking it through but haven't confirmed that. Anyway, to the game!

4000 points a side - Special Characters allowed.

My army list
Lords: Alith Anar
Arch Mage lvl 4(Shadow), Book of Hoeth, Crown (In archer unit) Rolled spells 2,3,4,5 - Perfect spells. All the 4 that I wanted.
Annointed (In spearmen unit) (No items) The annointed IMO is one of the best standard lords in 8th edition. Giving a unit 6++ while having a 4++ of his own, 3 ASF S5 attacks. You can kit him out differently if you want but just standard he's great. Absolutely love having him in unit of Core - Seaguard or Spearmen. the 6++ makes them just beefy enough that they can stand their ground vs most other core.
Heroes:
Noble on Elven steed, Ogre Blade, Dragon Armor, shield (Silver helms)
Mage (lvl 1)dispel scroll, Ring of Fury (High magic) (PG) Brought signature spell.
Sisters hero - Potion of strength and Reaver bow. I honestly can't believe I didn't see this combination for how powerful it really is. No moving and shooting penalty on the sisters makes them one of the most devastating archery units in WFB. The potential for 3 S8 shots hitting at 2+ for the queen is better than a bolt thrower for a turn let a lone 3 s5 shots hitting at 2+ is insane.
Core
49 Spearmen
15 Archers
14 Silver Helms
Special
29 PG - Razor Standard
30 White Lions - World Dragon
5 scouts
Rare
Frost Heart Phoenix
5 Both Throwers
14 Sisters

Lizardmen List -
2x40 Saurus Warrior units
18 Saurus Warrios
24 Temple Guard
2 bastiladons
2 razor packs
2 ancient stegadons (One with a skink hero)
Special character lord on ancient stegadon (3rd Ancient Stegadon!)
Special character hero riding monstrous cav, joined an ambusher unit of flying monstrous cavalry

I absolutely loved my list. I think he was expecting to run up on me quickly before I could do enough damage He underestimated the staying power of my units and definitely didn't expect the Silver helms at all.
My bolt throwers actually hit on all of their bolts, but I went 0/8 on my 4+ to wounds on his monsters in the first two turns. That being said, I got a wither on his temple guard in turn two and reduced their toughness by one. below average shooting with sisters, two bolt throwers, archers and scouts but by the time they got to me in turn 3 the temple guard unit was cut in half. They charged my Sisters eventually and they lost combat, fleed and rallied. My mage ended the temple guard with another great spell.

The silver helms I was nervous about. In the past I have thought that Cavalry isn't nearly as good as it used to be. Very expensive for not enough damage and not having ranks but with the High Elves, fighting in 3 ranks makes it so deadly. The silver helms got their charge off in turn 2 after failing turn 1 and then decimated the unit of Saurus Warrios and I took over the flank. Great rolls on the S5 charge, I think I killed 12 Saurus warriors. They ended up fleeing and I ran them down.

His big charge came in on turn 3. 2 ancient stegadons crashed into my white lions. Saurus warriors hit my spears and his temple guard hit my sisters. White lions didn't have good rolls and he made great saves so minimal damage to the Stegadons but his impact hits and stomps killed a large number of White lions, but they held. My lord in the spearmen unit helped keep that battle even, that combat held. His temple guard forced my sisters to flee as mentioned above.

In the next turn I charged the flank of the remaining saurus warrios with my PG and along with the spearmen, and I won combat easily. Silver helms flanked the rear of the two ancient stegadons, and whtie lions had a much stronger roll. He resigned after this turn.

Sorry that the review was a little all over the place.

What do you guys think of my list? The house rules?
Also if you were lizardmen, how would you build an army to better deal with high elves.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: 4000 Point game - HE vs Lizardmen

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

Welcome sir and congratulations on your victory!

:)

The Mon Cav house rule looks a little strong to me. They're no longer the absolute terror they were mid-edition but Demigryphs and Skullcrushers for example remain powerful troops. The Cavalry house rule looks fine, though they also are good troops anyway. In particular adding a tooled-up Prince to Silver Helms works wonders with a (maybe World Dragon) BSB and possibly other characters. This unit is mobile, resilient and has both passive combat res and brings plenty of kills.

Your list looks robust, with solid blocks and excellent ranged punch. Just the kind of list that Handmaiden build shines in. Combat Lizardmen are no joke but are not the fastest and that gives you precious time to whittle them down. If your brother fancies an alternative approach, massed units of Skinks can be very strong. They're hard to pin down, mess an enemy's movement up and the sheer volume of Poison is surprisingly dangerous.