2500 army list from Warhammer Armies Project

All discussions related to games of fantasy battles such as AoS, T9A, KoW, MESBG, WAP, Warmaster, etc go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Ramesesis

2500 army list from Warhammer Armies Project

#1 Post by Ramesesis »

So now I got all this painted and ready for a game using the rules from Warhammer Armies Project. Opponent most likely Tomb kings.
The army is based in Cothique.

Characters:
Ceyl'in - Loremaster    325
Ogre blade, Talisman of Preservation, Sceptre of Stability & Heavy armour  

Celenna - Lv2 Magess  145
Dispell scroll

Selenoa - Battle Standard bearer 135
Armour of Silvered steel, Blade of Slicing, Opal amulett

Ramesesis - Noble  115
Sword of Might, Enchanted shield, Dawnstone, heavy armour & Sea dragon cloak (Lion cloak)

Core
Wardens of Tor Eloc   374
29 Spearelves, Full command & Dread banner

Minstar Reavers  230
20 Warriors with hand weapons, medium armour & shields Full command & War banner

Amaranthine arrows  198
14 Archers, Full command

Waveriders  187
6 Silver helms with Heavy armour, Lance and shield with Full command & Ranger standard

Special
1 Eagle claw Bolt thrower  60

1 White lion chariot  110

Silver manes  380
20 White Lions Full command & Wailing banner

Crimson sisters  190
10 Sisters of Avelorn, High Sister

Rare
1 Great Eagle 50

2499 points
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: 2500 army list from Warhammer Armies Project

#2 Post by Prince of Spires »

I'm not a fan of the noble on foot (though I understand the need to have Ramesesis in your list...). I think they don't add enough for the points they cost. They're not mobile enough to be sure to get where they need to be and don't deal enough damage and are fairly squishy.

As for core, I'd be curious about how the warriors perform. TK skeletons might be the ideal opponent for them. But I'm wondering if more spears or archers isn't simply better. More damage out (with the spears) or more shots sound better somehow. I would personally switch them out for archers and a few more SH.

All said, it should be a decent list vs TK. Your lack of mobility shouldn't be too big an issue agains them. I'm curious if the shooting will do much. Big units and healing models back up means the few wounds you'll manage will do not very much (another reason I would take more shooting).

Let us know how the list performed.
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Aerendar Valandil

#3 Post by Aerendar Valandil »

I'm also interested in the warriors. I've just checked if I can make good unit of hand weapon and shiedl-ish models. (Yes). Thery are so much cheaper, especially sice you need at least 25-36 spears to really make good use of all their advantages.
Avicii

#4 Post by Avicii »

Great to see some activity on Ulthuan!

I have been playing T9A for the last few years and I have only just recently stumbled upon WHAP and I really like the look of the game progression. So many options for all the armies to have so many different play styles.

are the normal games played at around 2500points?
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=50357]Army Blog Current Style: 'Phoenix Monster List'[/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=41334]How to make your own Battle Chronicler components/images[/url]
Aerendar Valandil

#5 Post by Aerendar Valandil »

Yes, that's what i know.
Ramesesis

#6 Post by Ramesesis »

Thanks for all feedback!
I made the warriors when I was making an elf army for Oathmark and wondered if I could use them in WAP.

I could bring in my Sea Guards in their place. Spears and bows in one sweet combo.
Ramesesis

#7 Post by Ramesesis »

The big problem is getting hold of the minis you want. When I have money there are none I need on ebay. When I do not have money....

Anyway, I really would like to have one more repeater.

And more Silver helms. More spears would not be bad either. After all, Cothique is famed for their spears and very skilled Silver Silver helms.

I got some more archers that could be assembled but not that many.
Aerendar Valandil

#8 Post by Aerendar Valandil »

What do you use for you Warriors?
Ramesesis

#9 Post by Ramesesis »

I kitbashed them from spearelves and gave them swordarms from the same kit, from shadow warriors and some dark elf ones.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#10 Post by Prince of Spires »

Ramesesis wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:02 pm The big problem is getting hold of the minis you want. When I have money there are none I need on ebay. When I do not have money....

Anyway, I really would like to have one more repeater.

And more Silver helms. More spears would not be bad either. After all, Cothique is famed for their spears and very skilled Silver Silver helms.

I got some more archers that could be assembled but not that many.
I've had good experiences with https://www.whtreasury.com/. They've got a fairly broad selection (most of the time at least) of second hand High Elf miniatures. And for decent prices as well. I actually managed to pick up an Allarielle model there without having to mortgage of my house. They're worth checking out. and from a quick look they have plenty of RBT, Silver Helms and spearmen.

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Ramesesis

#11 Post by Ramesesis »

Tomorrow will be the first test for the list. Fingers crossed.
Aerendar Valandil

#12 Post by Aerendar Valandil »

Success!
Ramesesis

#13 Post by Ramesesis »

Alright! Battle has been fought and sadly it was a defeat. Still, it was fun and my army went down swinging.
I had some bad luck with spellcasting and not being used to the system hurt.
My friend had read a bit more but we were still bit used to how everything worked.

Most of all the shooting was a chock. It really hurt losing 5 White lions to one volley of massed archery always hitting on 5 or 6. Missing those armour saves also hurt.

Still I also realized that all of a sudden my archers had turned into butchers! And the Sisters of Avelorn really dished out damage. My magic was a bit dissapointing but I was not really used to the system.

The White lions ended up fighting to the front and the flank but did tie up a flank and thanks to the BSB being with them fought to the last. The lion chariot failed a charge and ended up being charged by tomb guards but did hold its own for a round of combat.

My biggest mistake was shooting at his chariots so they lost one and this enabled them to swing around and hit my spears with my general in the rear at the same time as they were charged in the front. That was a really crucial moment.
My general and spears did survive and managed rally after fleeing but it did hurt.

What I was totally suprised by was that his king and princes bestowed their weapon skill on their troops. And fighting WS 6 or 5 skellies really screwed it up for my poor elves. Had I known that I would have avoided combat with those units.

The warriors did not do to well but in their defence they ram into the unit lead by his tomb king. So there they were fighting WS6 skellies.

My Silver helms managed some heroics, they broke through his lines, smashing his Scarab swarms in one go, overrunning into a unit of skeleton archer, smashing them and then overrunning into a unit of skeletons that probably would have gone down in the end had not the Sphinx come to their aid.
Those horsies were awesome. And one horse even gave the Sphinx a wound.

Well, I hope I can assemble a few more archers so I can field two units of 10 in the future.
I also see how a unit of Sea Guard could be really nasty.
Ramesesis

#14 Post by Ramesesis »

Another thing that I realized was quite big is the nerf to great weapons. Sure, on the charge my lions swings with str6 but had they not been str4 as base they would have been rather lackluster.
+1 str and -2 initiative feels pretty bad.

And taking a prince on a griffon looks like pure suicide against massed archery. I would consider it against vampire counts but not against Tomb kings!
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#15 Post by Prince of Spires »

Both of those changes sound like bad news for HE.

Still, having fun is what it's all about :) When is the next battle planned? And is there any chance of some pictures?

Check out my plog

Aerendar Valandil

#16 Post by Aerendar Valandil »

Sisters of Avelorn are really a great unit.

Just found out about the GW's. I was not amused.

ik haven't played with spearelves yet in this edition. I always go for Seaguards.