Congo Line

Ask any rules specific questions here
ydoom sirhc

Congo Line

#1 Post by ydoom sirhc »

Is there any rule that says that you must not be in a formation only 1 model wide?
Loriel

Re: Congo Line

#2 Post by Loriel »

no. ;)
High Elves since Aug 2010: Tot /W / L / D - 100 / 75 / 23 / 2
Tomb Kings since Sep 2013:Tot / W / L / D - 31 / 18 / 12 / 1

Chronicles of Loriel's Glory and Shame
Iluvatar

#3 Post by Iluvatar »

No, there is no such rule. Which can make those conga lines quite effective at slowing down the enemy if the unit is stubborn (White Lions) or unbreakable (undead for instance). Especially if you put a champion in the first "rank", since enemy units will only be able to target him in combat, thus limiting your losses. (unless there are different initiative steps in the unit, such as with characters)

Note that this is not forbidden, but some people may find this gamey, like stretching the rules. Whether you can use it while keeping everyone smiling or not depends on your gaming circle - but it's not the only such rule...
ydoom sirhc

#4 Post by ydoom sirhc »

Thanks for the replies guys! I thought this was the case, but another player convinced me otherwise. In future I will make them prove it if they disagree. Mind you I was a friendly game and the player was otherwise a very good sportsman.
Loriel

#5 Post by Loriel »

ydoom sirhc wrote:Thanks for the replies guys! I thought this was the case, but another player convinced me otherwise. In future I will make them prove it if they disagree. Mind you I was a friendly game and the player was otherwise a very good sportsman.
here is one problem that very gamey way to counter is that warhammer is permissive ruleset, so in sense if you are not allowed to do something you cannot do it. That is the one principle.

I actually looked this up and this wasn't as clearly put as I originally remembered, since my memory was that it said one or more horizontal or vertical lines ;)
BRB 8th page 8, Forming Units wrote: In addition, all models in the unit must be arranged in a formation that consists of one or more horizontal lines, called ranks and a number of vertical lines, called files.
but then it comes to definiton a number of vertical lines, which is somewhat more vague than one or more would be. but 1 is a number. thus we have a gonga line with happy happy elves

But as Iluvatar said, especially something like skeleton warriors with champion in the front, or goblin fanatic swings, or some other rather unfluffy tricks breaks the game little. As something like ellyrian reavers using the gongaline to get in better position can be viewed as their "superior" mobility rather rather than exploiting rules.
High Elves since Aug 2010: Tot /W / L / D - 100 / 75 / 23 / 2
Tomb Kings since Sep 2013:Tot / W / L / D - 31 / 18 / 12 / 1

Chronicles of Loriel's Glory and Shame
Kes-Elrin

#6 Post by Kes-Elrin »

It is also worth noting that when reforming to form a conga line, none of the models can move more than twice their movement rate.

On the subject of being 'gamey', such tactics as trying to block cavalry with a line of infantry would have been suicidal in real battles. You have to laugh sometimes at the things you can get away with in Warhammer.
pk-ng

#7 Post by pk-ng »

Kes-Elrin wrote:It is also worth noting that when reforming to form a conga line, none of the models can move more than twice their movement rate.
No longer covered in FAQ. So technically no longer true.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#8 Post by Prince of Spires »

pk-ng wrote:
Kes-Elrin wrote:It is also worth noting that when reforming to form a conga line, none of the models can move more than twice their movement rate.
No longer covered in FAQ. So technically no longer true.
Still covered in the BRB (p14) though: "none of the models in a unit may move more then twice their movement rate as a result of a maneuvre".

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.