Bolt Throwers and Poisoned Attacks

Ask any rules specific questions here
Nicene

Bolt Throwers and Poisoned Attacks

#1 Post by Nicene »

If a bolt thrower with poisoned attacks rolls a 6 to hit, will it automatically kill and pierce through every rank (assuming no ward/regen)?
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=61399]my MSU army list/battle reports[/url]

[quote="Nyeave"]Omg it's a parrot chariot - a parriot... :D[/quote]
John Rainbow

Re: Bolt Throwers and Poisoned Attacks

#2 Post by John Rainbow »

Haha, interesting question. I would say the first guy insta-dies assuming he does not have a ward save or more than 1W. The next bit I don't know about... I don't have my rulebook handy but it will depend on the wording. For instance, if it says that 'if the first guy dies, roll to wound the second" or something to that effect (which I think it does) then I imagine you would have to roll for each subsequent rank.

Also, how does a bolt thrower get poisoned attacks?
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#3 Post by Ferny »

Goblin magic?
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
Nicene

#4 Post by Nicene »

@John: That might be right! The rulebook also says something like "attacks that hit automatically cannot benefit from Poisoned Attacks," which would reinforce your argument, since the guy in the second file is "hit automatically" (I suppose). On the other hand, we can say that we did roll to hit already, and that roll is what is being applied to each model (roll a 6, meaning you hit the first model, and the second model, etc.).

If we're considering RAI, then I also see two possibilities: When you roll to hit, a 6 means that your weapon was sufficiently poisoned this time to wound automatically. So the bolt would auto-wound everything. But if you think that rolling a 6 means that your attack managed to hit a place susceptible to poison (like an artery) then the bolt wouldn't necessarily wound.

@Ferny: Yeah, gift of the spider god :P This came up in a game the other night.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=61399]my MSU army list/battle reports[/url]

[quote="Nyeave"]Omg it's a parrot chariot - a parriot... :D[/quote]
pk-ng

#5 Post by pk-ng »

Posion - A model with the Poison Attack SR wounds his target automatically if his natural dice roll to hit is a 6. Blah blah blah. Note that if a Poison shooting attack needs to roll a 7 or more to hit, or hits automatically, then the Poisoned attacks rule does not come into play.

So by that account the 1st guy is auto-wounded and the 2nd guy; you will need to roll to-hit.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
Bashtrigger

#6 Post by Bashtrigger »

pk-ng wrote:Posion - A model with the Poison Attack SR wounds his target automatically if his natural dice roll to hit is a 6. Blah blah blah. Note that if a Poison shooting attack needs to roll a 7 or more to hit, or hits automatically, then the Poisoned attacks rule does not come into play.

So by that account the 1st guy is auto-wounded and the 2nd guy; you will need to roll to-hit.
*To wound
pk-ng

#7 Post by pk-ng »

Bashtrigger wrote:
pk-ng wrote:Posion - A model with the Poison Attack SR wounds his target automatically if his natural dice roll to hit is a 6. Blah blah blah. Note that if a Poison shooting attack needs to roll a 7 or more to hit, or hits automatically, then the Poisoned attacks rule does not come into play.

*To wound
lol yes....brain fart :?
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
lycannus

#8 Post by lycannus »

If it helps, the Lizardmen books, who deal with poisoned bolt throwers, state the poison only works on the first model hit.
John Rainbow

#9 Post by John Rainbow »

lycannus wrote:If it helps, the Lizardmen books, who deal with poisoned bolt throwers, state the poison only works on the first model hit.
I think this would set a precedent.
Bashtrigger

#10 Post by Bashtrigger »

Seems logical as well, how can the second guy get poisoned from the hit against the first guy?