Tiranoc Chariot Unit. Pro's and Con's

Discuss your tactics for the 8th Ed army book here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Tiranoc Charriot unit usefull

Yes
61%
No
39%

Total votes: 36

ShadowWeaver

Tiranoc Chariot Unit. Pro's and Con's

#1 Post by ShadowWeaver »

Hello all, this is my first post after reading this forum from afar for some time now. I have been searching for a tactica on Chariot units and I can't seam to find one so I thought I ask what everyone's opinion is on them.

So the basics. For 210pts you can get 3 Tiranoc Chariots.

For that you get:
  • 6 Strength 4 attacks (crew, spears on the charge)
    6 Strength 3 attacks (elven steeds)
    + 3d6 Strength 5 attacks (impact hits)
    Charge range of 11''-21''
    5+ Armour save, T4
    4 Wounds each (12 in total)
    6 Longbow shots
The pro's
So you have a potential of 30 attacks with a good charge range and some higher strength attacks. Some missle fire while you get in position, a high T and wounds for high elves. The benefit I see in fielding these in a unit compared to using them as stand alone is as follows:
  • Increased chance of making a difference in a combat they have charged.
    Used with an eagle(s) potential to run down small bunkers and get the victory points.
    Due to the fact they are a unit the opponent has to destroy all three to get the victory points. So if two die in combat/shooting then send the last chariot away from him, for him to waste some shooting or magic if he wants those points.
The con's
  • Low Armour Save will be suspect to missile and magic damage.
    Large front profile due to 3 Chariot bases = 6 cavalry bases. (Would you be able to field them 2 wide with the third behind and get supporting attacks and impact hits? I wonder..)

Has anyone used these in a unit before and to what success?
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: Tiranoc Chariot Unit. Pro's and Con's

#2 Post by Prince of Spires »

Welcome to the forum.

The reason that you can't find much in the way of chariot tactica's is that they are generally considered to be a sub-optimal choice from a competative point of view. Which is not to say that they can't work. Some people have had succes with a specific chariot list. And it is definatly a fun list to play.

As for units of tiranocs, I don't think they are usefull. There are a few more cons to add to the list in my mind.
- a unit of chariots is less mobile then single chariots. They can't pivot on the spot but have to wheel, which makes them harder to maneuvre.
- the wider footprint means that you have a hard time navigating the battlefield. Especially with a bit of terrain, 3 wide means that you can't get to where you want to be while a single chariot could possibly squeeze through a gap.
- it becomes harder to charge them in as a support unit. More models in B2B with the chariot means more attacks at the chariots which makes it more likely to die.
- if you combo-charge the front of a unit together with another unit, only 1 chariot will be in the combat. The reason is that you need to maximise models in combat. And with the width of a chariot it means that other units can get more models in B2B so the chariot ends up on the edge of the combat. This not only means that you only get 1 set of attacks. But also that you only get D6 impact hits, since you need to be in contact with your opponent to get them.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Nagashias

#3 Post by Nagashias »

What if we combine 3x Tiranoc chariot with 3x Skycutter chariot, in an army with steadfast troops? (all chariots as single models).

Alot of potential damage output, and steadfast troops allow time to make several chariots hit same target.
rking300

#4 Post by rking300 »

I run two by themselves in my all cav list. They have never let me down. Even if they took a cannon off the bat thats one less shot against my frost chicken. Plus they may great redirectors if needed since they can pivot and move on the spot. I love them in my list but I wouldnt taken them in a unit together. One cannon shot taking one out causes a panic test.
ElderlyElf

#5 Post by ElderlyElf »

I run two as well, but by themselves. I basically use them as another chaff/redirector unit. I usually set them up on the edge of my deployment, together, and run them at the opponent's chaff or attempt to flank. They also get me 4 bow shots, which may not sound like much but helps in an army with almost no shooting. I also take a lion chariot, which moves alongside my DP bus and Frostie as the heavy hitter portion of my list. Very effective. I really like chariots.
siovim

#6 Post by siovim »

Running two seperates as well, and have yet to try to put them in a unit.

My chariots cooperate with my reavers and eagles to swiftly win the chaff war, and then go for support charging into bigger combats, or take on smaller units the two of them. If they manage to reach enemy lines, as they usuaaly are cannon magnets, as i don't often bring a frost phoenix, they wreak a good deal of havoc, and their pressence is more of psycological threat, than a real one. But it works :)
Nicene

#7 Post by Nicene »

I definitely prefer a naked Skycutter over a Trianon.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=61399]my MSU army list/battle reports[/url]

[quote="Nyeave"]Omg it's a parrot chariot - a parriot... :D[/quote]
First Strike

#8 Post by First Strike »

I run 3 tiranoc's and 3 skycutters all as singles and find them uesfull. I voted a yes at the top but I find the unit it self usefull but not a unit of them. To many points with not enough options.
Nagashias

#9 Post by Nagashias »

First Strike wrote:I run 3 tiranoc's and 3 skycutters all as singles and find them uesfull. I voted a yes at the top but I find the unit it self usefull but not a unit of them. To many points with not enough options.
Do you have the Bolt Thrower upgrade?
Findolfin

#10 Post by Findolfin »

I run a single Tiranoc with my army, I use it as a close combat flank shield for my cavalry bus.

This is for situation where I am forced to charge into anvils, for example a large infantry horde which is usually backed up by hammer in waiting to counter charge my bus flank. By corner charging the chariot alongside, it prevent the flank counter charge making contact with my bus.

The chariot might end up destroyed but that leaves the enemy unit out of combat and my bus to have free reign. Since I run my bus 3 deep wide ( 14 models + noble ), I normally only get stuck in grinding 1 round against 30+ infantry hordes. The chariot impact hits is also an insurance on that .

It’s a niche role for a heavy cavalry based army but still the only unit cheap enough, with the good size, that I got to do this. Maybe an eagle could do the same but the base size is smaller and would not cover as much while having less hitting power. I also don’t have much bow shots in my army outside of reavers and sisters, so it does help in chaff wars.
A tale of Ellyrion, cavalry army blog:
http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=749457#p749457
Painting log:
http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=816029#p816029
"We ride until the sun sets..."
First Strike

#11 Post by First Strike »

Yes to the bolt throwers. I also run 4 RBT's.
Csjarrat

#12 Post by Csjarrat »

Have run the unit of 3 a couple of times, the potential for +3D6 S5 impact hits tends to create bit of a "no-go-zone" with players that aren't used to it. People are def wary of dumping their small elite units into charge range of them, but they are pretty vulnerable to armies with long range shooting.
I treat them a bit like MC and they work fine, a bit slower but a lot more dangerous on the charge.
an interesting variation on my usual playstyle, which is 'charge forward, forward for the love of khaine, we can fight better than any of them and they can't shoot into melee why is our armor so thin ohgodcannons'
endontoddy

#13 Post by endontoddy »

An additional bonus to units of tiranocs:

* They can be buffed enmass

Which can substantially increase their damage output
Nagashias

#14 Post by Nagashias »

endontoddy wrote:An additional bonus to units of tiranocs:

Just realised. +1 S to such a unit. 3d6 impact hits with S6 !!!! :)
Csjarrat

#15 Post by Csjarrat »

Nagashias wrote:
endontoddy wrote:An additional bonus to units of tiranocs:

Just realised. +1 S to such a unit. 3d6 impact hits with S6 !!!! :)
and i think being a chariot unit, they're at -1 casting value for wysanns due to the lore attribute. :-)
an interesting variation on my usual playstyle, which is 'charge forward, forward for the love of khaine, we can fight better than any of them and they can't shoot into melee why is our armor so thin ohgodcannons'
RasputinIII

#16 Post by RasputinIII »

Wyssans is the only thing that tempts me to use a unit of chariots, use them as a front on hammer. The problem is, a soon as you have a strategy based on getting the charge and casting a spell you are doomed to fail.
Viale

#17 Post by Viale »

I used them this weekend. The army I fielded had both types of phoenixes, 10 cavalry and a dragon. This presented quite a lot of big things which my opponent needed to take into consideration. At 210 points I don't find them too expensive and the small footprint of most of my army meant I didn't have too many problems maneuvering. Lastly having so many fliers meant I did not experience problems with only getting a few of them in base contact with an enemy regiment. Oh, and they become quite tough to wound when combined with the frost phoenix.
cptcosmic

#18 Post by cptcosmic »

imho the downsides overshadow the advantages. for me the biggest advantage of a chariot is the ability to pivot on the spot, potentially high amounts of hits, a small footprint and being relatively cheap (compared to the units atleast).