Tinman's plog - Recent Project.. Dark Ritual

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

tinman

Re: Tinman's plog - WoC BsB - done

#331 Post by tinman »

and yet you kept it... lol... My puppet thanks you...
Ptolemy wrote:No shame coming in second to that.
I got the gold from judging against the spider, I'm guessing the purple appealed more to the fans... Thanks for your vote though!!
How much wood can a woodchuck chuck??..
Ptolemy

#332 Post by Ptolemy »

I can see that. Player's Choice awards almost always result in pop colors winning. Muted tones rarely get the attention except from the aficionados.
[quote]Tethlis: "Most GW female sculpts tend to look like a surly transgender woman of the night, and it would be nice to avoid that if possible."[/quote]
Mireadur

#333 Post by Mireadur »

tinman wrote:Thanks for the comments! I Appreciate it.
Mireadur wrote:The banner looks great. Did you airbrushed it?

I did on the main banner. The skulls are not and the eye is freehand. I hope you are not disappointed. :cry:
Not at all, looks amazing :mrgreen:
tinman

#334 Post by tinman »

Here are some better pics of the WoC BsB. I am figuring out this camera a bit. I have to set the aperture a little longer to get the entire model in focus, but these a bit better...
tinman

Re: Tinman's plog - WoC BsB - better pics?..

#335 Post by tinman »

A little progress on the WoC infantry BsB.. I have the banner made now and is primed. I was originally going to have the banner draped down the front, I didn't like it. If I did that, as someone mentioned, it would cover up all the cool detail. Now I am going to have the banner blowing behind.
Gilcris

Re: Tinman's plog - WoC infantry BsB - wip

#336 Post by Gilcris »

Phew, that BSB is exceptional. The banner, as everyone has said, is fantastic and I especially love the smooth blending that runs the length of the model.

(Also, because you're a High Elf painter at heart, you didn't fall into the trap that most WoC and 40k painters do with offensive edgelighting. :lol:)
tinman

Re: Tinman's plog - WoC infantry BsB - wip

#337 Post by tinman »

Here's my Frozen bird. Still a WIP - too many little snow flakes :( C&C always welcome...

Calyrn

Re: Tinman's plog - my Frozen Bird - wip

#338 Post by Calyrn »

Beautiful job =D> I am always impressed with your work. I may be a little biased on this one as it is what I had in mind for my own. (my army colours are very well pretty much what you did.)
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=33142]My Elves[/url]
The confusion between opinion and fact fascinates me.
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#339 Post by Elithmar »

Lovely phoenix. :)

The Tzeentch BSB looks great too. I should have checked this earlier so I could have voted. :(
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor
Gilcris

#340 Post by Gilcris »

That blending is as smooth as babyskin! :)

It's absolutely lovely so far.
Ptolemy

#341 Post by Ptolemy »

Bravo on the stark-white snowflakes. Thats the way I see them also.
[quote]Tethlis: "Most GW female sculpts tend to look like a surly transgender woman of the night, and it would be nice to avoid that if possible."[/quote]
tinman

#342 Post by tinman »

Hey thanks guys!
Ptolemy wrote:Bravo on the stark-white snowflakes. Thats the way I see them also.
I really like the "pop" of the white, but OMG! I am going to have nightmares about snow flakes. Hand doing them all might have been a bad idea. I don't think I'm going to do the underside..
Divinor

#343 Post by Divinor »

Everything looks great, you are an awesome painter. And if you think snowflakes are bad, try painting a lizardmen army! I think the scales drove me almost to insanity!!! :D

-Div
Ulthuan Plog: [url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=46990]Div's Athel Loren Elves[/url]
Blog: [url]http://ipaintlittledudes.blogspot.com/[/url]
Podcast: [url]http://www.rqgpodcast.com/[/url]
tinman

#344 Post by tinman »

My frozen bird is done. A really great model and really fun to paint. I just have to finish the base...

I know in the pic we can see the silver line on the helmet - it is not noticeable in normal light...

Divinor wrote:And if you think snowflakes are bad, try painting a lizardmen army! I think the scales drove me almost to insanity!!!
Lol, I bet! I guess I shouldn't feel so bad... I hang my head..... :(
Hysteric

Re: Tinman's plog - Frozen Bird done!

#345 Post by Hysteric »

great bird! you used an air brush right? dont know how to start mine yet :)
Ptolemy

#346 Post by Ptolemy »

I'm actually fairly intimidated by this model, currently. It seems like its ready made for an airbrush and I don't use those. DEFINITELY good call on the white snow flakes. I'll be copying that idea, thank you! How did you do them? What was your base colour and how did you arrive to the highlights? It looks almost stark white. Is it?

Excellent work, of course. Could you discuss when and where you used the airbrush vs the paintbrush and why?
tinman

#347 Post by tinman »

Thanks guys!!
Hysteric wrote:great bird! you used an air brush right? dont know how to start mine yet :)
Yes I used an airbrush.
Ptolemy wrote:I'm actually fairly intimidated by this model, currently. It seems like its ready made for an airbrush and I don't use those. DEFINITELY good call on the white snow flakes. I'll be copying that idea, thank you! How did you do them? What was your base colour and how did you arrive to the highlights? It looks almost stark white. Is it?

Excellent work, of course. Could you discuss when and where you used the airbrush vs the paintbrush and why?
I painted both my dragons with brushes, it took a very long time. That was the main reason I thought about an airbrush initially - I'm such a slow painter. An airbrush definitely sped up the process...The entire bird was base coated and highlighted with the airbrush. I did this to save time and also paint. I used drops instead of 1/2 a pot. :shock:

I did a the shading (watered down D. Nightshade) with the brush to make the definition between feathers more prominent. I did put extreme white lines on all the feathers to add that extra highlight detail and I painted the beak, legs and armor with a brush. Oh yeah, I did all the snowflakes with a brush too - Sigh. I did this because I wanted & need more control and I am just getting used to the airbrush and I'm not confident doing all the little details yet (even though I can get a 2mm line out'a my Iwata).

I used the airbrush to create the halo effect around the snowflakes. I wanted them to have that magical glow. The snow flakes were bases coated by the airbrush, I did not discriminate. So, some of the flakes are purple and other are blue (of various shades) and that all depended on where they were on the bird. But yes, the flakes are extreme white (some to whiter than others). White doesn't coat well so some of the flakes have a little blue or purple hue to them.

Copy away! I have no trademarks :wink:

I hope that helps. But if you have any more questions, just ask...

TM
Divinor

#348 Post by Divinor »

Wow, looks excellent! Inspiring work.

-Div
Ulthuan Plog: [url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=46990]Div's Athel Loren Elves[/url]
Blog: [url]http://ipaintlittledudes.blogspot.com/[/url]
Podcast: [url]http://www.rqgpodcast.com/[/url]
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#349 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Looks fantastic! How people might not like it, after seeing what you have achieved, is beyond me. It also makes me want to buy one together with a proper airbrush just for sheer joy of painting it. :)

Do you plan to get Flamespyre one too? And what is the plan for the base?

Thanks again! inspirational work. =D>

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
tinman

#350 Post by tinman »

Thanks guys!!
Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote:Do you plan to get Flamespyre one too? And what is the plan for the base?
I have a roasted bird (next build) and I have the body & feet bits coming from ebay so I will have the parts for a 2nd icy chicken. I might even try and get the bits so I can build a 2nd fire bird :D The base I'm still figuring, I do have a couple ideas but I have to find what I need. Once that's done you know I will show it.
Iluvatar

#351 Post by Iluvatar »

Excellent paint job, tinman! Your phoenix looks great, and snowflakes really shine and break what could otherwise look too uniform (like GW's model - blue flakes on blue wings?...).
Ptolemy wrote:I'm actually fairly intimidated by this model, currently. It seems like its ready made for an airbrush and I don't use those.
Don't be! I am a slow painter, and I had to mount and paint this big guy in two weeks for an unplanned tournament that took place this week-end. And I managed to do it! Doesn't look as great as tinman's but I'm still quite happy of what I've done. With the skill you showed on your daemon prince, I have no doubt you'll make this one gorgeous!
tinman

#352 Post by tinman »

Here is the last of the models for other (gifts) for a while. I do have another project for someone else but I can work on my stuff as I go. I am going to work on a Loremaster (2x) the other phoenix and maybe Alarielle. I also found what I want for a base for my frosty bird. It will take 3 weeks to get here from China.

As always let me know what you think...

tinman

Re: Tinman's plog - infantry WoC BsB - done!

#353 Post by tinman »

Here is my fire bird, still a wip... I think I need to add a bit more red.
Teledor

Re: Tinman's plog - Let there be FIRE!! wip

#354 Post by Teledor »

Awesome. Great blending and sensation of fire.
Mentheus of Caledor

#355 Post by Mentheus of Caledor »

It's been a long time since I've visited this blog, and I do have to say I think it's gotten even better. I envy your skills Tinman!
I especially love the two phoenixes, even though one isn't finished yet! :D

How long does it take you to paint a model? Something like a character/ regular troop/man sized dude?
Do you spend less time on plebs or do you devote just as much attention to all of them?

And keep it up! Its all awesome!
"They thought we had all but died out, but as we take to the skies our foes will tremble with fear, for they will know the True Dragon Princes have returned."
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#356 Post by Prince of Spires »

The firephoenix is looking pretty amazing. Airbrush?

I do agree you need a bit more red. Especially near the midle of the bird where the yellow flows into the black pretty fast. A bit more red on that edge would look great.

That said, it already looks better then anything I produce...

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Macharius

#357 Post by Macharius »

rdghuizing wrote:I do agree you need a bit more red. Especially near the midle of the bird where the yellow flows into the black pretty fast. A bit more red on that edge would look great.
+1 (or is it +2 at this point?)

I think the black should be reserved for just the very tips of the flames at the back; a much more gradual blend/transition from the white (if you want to make it even more like a real flame, there should be small band of blue-ish-ness as well) to yellow to red to orange to black.

Regardless, it looks great!
jinxs

#358 Post by jinxs »

I kinda like the more orange phoenix compared to red ones I have seen, it feels that its more hot HOT HOT now :)

Good job still =D>
RogueSun

#359 Post by RogueSun »

It would appear your hand has been caught in the Wake of Fire. ;)

Looks great so far, can't wait to see it finished. If my avatar is any indication, I love seeing cool flame effects.
solith

#360 Post by solith »

The fire Phoenix is looking really good already. I think your pattern of yellow into red is the best way I've seen. It comes across as really natural (as antural as a Phoenix can be at any rate...) compared to some of the others I've seen where the 'hot' parts start mid-way down the wings - between the feathers and the flames - and that way makes a kind of sense but looks really jarring. Your version is so much more pleasing to the eye. :)
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44644]My painting log[/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=51340]My battle reports[/url]