3000pt High Elf List

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
taldarinzphoenix

3000pt High Elf List

#1 Post by taldarinzphoenix »

How does this list look like it would do in an all comer's situation? I will be playing against skaven, Dark elves (and there are no witch elves), lizardmen, vampire counts and Demons (khorne and Nurgle mix)

++ Standard (High Elves - Army Book (2013-4) -V8.8.0.) [2,997pts] ++

- Army Size: Army (3000+ points)

+ Lords +

Archmage [275pts]: High Magic, Wizard Level 4
. Magic Items: BRB - Dispel Scroll, BRB - Talisman of Endurance

Loremaster of Hoeth [330pts]: Lores of Battle Magic, Wizard Level 2
. Magic Items: AB - Book of Hoeth, BRB - Armour of Silvered Steel

+ Heroes +

Caradryan [420pts]: AB - The Phoenix Blade, Ashtari

Handmaiden of the Everqueen [140pts]
. Magic Items: AB - Gem of Sunfire, AB - Reaver Bow

Noble [149pts]: Battle Standard Bearer, Heavy Armour
. Magic Items: AB - Shield of the Merwyrm, BRB - Opal Amulet, BRB - Sword of Might

+ Core +

Ellyrian Reavers [105pts]: Musician
. 5x Ellyrian Reaver: 5x Bow and Spear

Ellyrian Reavers [95pts]: Musician
. 5x Ellyrian Reaver: 5x Bow

Silver Helms [135pts]: Champion, Musician
. 5x Silver Helm: 5x Shields

Spearmen [418pts]: 42x Spearman
. Champion
. Musician
. Standard Bearer: BRB - Banner of Eternal Flame

+ Special +

Phoenix Guard [480pts]: 27x Phoenix Guard
. Champion
. Musician
. Standard Bearer: BRB - Razor Standard

Shadow Warriors [70pts]: 5x Shadow Warrior

+ Rare +

Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower [70pts]

Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower [70pts]

Great Eagle [50pts]: Great Eagle

Great Eagle [50pts]: Great Eagle

Sisters of Avelorn [140pts]: 10x Sister of Avelorn

++ Total: [2,997pts] ++
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: 3000pt High Elf List

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

I like it. It reminds me of the list that won the US Masters back in the day. That too had big Spear and Phoenix Guard blocks supported by shooting elements. It was all in on the deathstar though with tooled-up Prince joining the other 3+ Ward characters in the PG. Your block isn't quite that supercharged taldarinzphoenix but it's still very strong and you add the mobile threat of Caradryan plus an even better magic phase.

When it comes to details, I'd be tempted to boost the Archmage's Ward to the 4+ item if you can because you'll often want to be casting with the Loremaster and hence not boosting Shield of Saphery. Am I right in thinking the Handmaiden will try to gain Flaming attacks from the Eternal Flame banner? If so unfortunately this doesn't work because it can't benefit magic weapons (pg 69). Maybe switch to Potion of Strength?

A Dark Elf army not built around Witch Elves is probably going to be very mobile and shooty, I'm not sure you can dominate it there, though your strong magic will help. If nothing else that PG block will be very hard for them to take down and they need to do that to score a big win against you. Versus daemons Caradryan will need to watch out for Skillcannon but your Flaming spells should be very useful against the Regen. You have enough shooting to keep Vampire Counts chaff spam under control and Book of Hoeth plus the RIP of Fiery Convocation should help to keep their magic in check. Again, keeping a lid on the Slann's spellcasting will be crucial vs Lizardmen.
taldarinzphoenix

#3 Post by taldarinzphoenix »

SpellArcher wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:51 pm
Am I right in thinking the Handmaiden will try to gain Flaming attacks from the Eternal Flame banner?
I was actually going to put the handmaiden in the sisters of averlorn during certain matchups, most notably VC (i know the guy brings spririt hosts and hexwraiths), skaven (to knock wounds off the two abominations that will certainly be on the field, and break the regen for my boltthrowers), and demons, again to knock the regen off the beasts of nurgle, or plague bearers if he takes that Loci. really, my plan with the sisters was to use them to break regens so my other shooting can do what it needs to do, and the gem of sunfire helps with the higher toughness targets that tend to have regen. it would probably do more work in the spear block, especially with wyssians, and I will likely use that against lizardmen and darkelves.

also she has the unique ability to give quick to fire to the sisters, and since they lack a musician, i can at least back up a couple inches and fire if i need to try to avoid charges.

I fully agree with you when it comes to your dark elf analysis. I know roughly what this player has in their collection, so I'll face a few bolt throwers, a couple units of dark shards, definitely a lv4 of dark magic, he will probably do a hoarde of corsairs with 2 hand weapons and a ring of hotek in there somewhere. for sure i will see 2 hydras, he loves those. i'll probably see doomfire warlocks too.

Against demons, yes, i know that player will have 2 skullcannons, and there really isn't any other target for them, so caradryan will very likely be targeted. I will say i usually dont have a hard time against demons. PG are a better anvil than plaguebearers, and the bloodletters go down very easily with shooting. the beasts of nurgle are the most annoying thing on the field, and I will probably try to get caradryan in combat with those as soon as possible to try to shield him as best as possible from the cannons. just get him in combat and keep him in combat, its probably his best bet. if i try to get a perfect flank charge setup, i'll likely just die to the cannons.

The Vampire counts guy uses manfred for a dominant magic phase, and will also bring a crazy combat vampire with a huge brick of black knights. I have never been able to kill the combat vampire, but my plan is to melekoths and iceshard blizzard to try to get him hitting on a 5+ at least and probably try to get caradryan in there too, and try to beat him on combat res. he also brings corpse cart and the mortis engine like every time. his core tends to be a hoarde of ghouls. he also uses terrorgheists, vargeists, crypt horrors and graveguard. I acutally dont enjoy playing against VC all that much. everything is annoying to deal with in its own way. they dont just play the game, they do thier own thing.

Lizardmen is nothing special, he will have tettoeko and a big slaan in temple guard. probably a skink priest for a dispel scroll. he has kroxigors, the triceratops thing with the basket on top. and a solar engine. skirmishing poison blowpipe skinks all over the place in your back field. a hoard of saurus warriors. pretty standard stuff here.
taldarinzphoenix

#4 Post by taldarinzphoenix »

SpellArcher wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:51 pm I'd be tempted to boost the Archmage's Ward to the 4+ item if you can because you'll often want to be casting with the Loremaster and hence not boosting Shield of Saphery.
one other point that shouldn't be ignored is the fact that we are playing with the 4d6 (dispel is highest 2 dice) rules. what I tend to do with my loremaster is try to cast pretty much all of the 5+ spells with 1 die, shems, fireball, melekoths. with the book of hoeth, its very likely that i will get the spell with a rerollable 3+, and if the opponent wants to stop any of them they will probably need to commit 2 dispel dice to attempt, or at the least, give them a pretty solid chance at losing concentration. im not sure if there is a "meta" way to use the loremaster, but thats how i like to start a magic phase. then of course, assess the situation at hand and cast accordingly. i do have MR1 in the unit the Lv4 goes in, so in the case of a miscast, i'll have a 3+ save (2 from item, 1 from lore attribute, 1 from MR1), or a 4+ if ive cast no other spells. its a fair point though, on the 4+ ward item, i'll see if i can easily remove something, it will likely have to be 1 of the phoenix guard.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#5 Post by SpellArcher »

taldarinzphoenix wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:16 pm gem of sunfire helps with the higher toughness targets that tend to have regen.
The Gem only affects user and mount though. The Handmaiden only has Flaming Attacks when using her Bow of Averlorn, not the Reaver Bow. I agree she makes sense in the Sisters but I'd absolutely go for Potion of Strength.
taldarinzphoenix wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:16 pm a couple units of dark shards, definitely a lv4 of dark magic, he will probably do a hoarde of corsairs with 2 hand weapons and a ring of hotek in there somewhere. for sure i will see 2 hydras, he loves those.
This means no way can the Dark Elves run their usual rings around you. I'd consider deploying out of Darkshard range and going for the RBT with your fast elements.
taldarinzphoenix wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:16 pm doomfire warlocks too.
Target these with extreme prejudice. Not only is their Doombolt incredibly dangerous but they're killable and once they're gone you own the magic phase. Your foe lacks the massed fast elements to overload your shooters and keep the Warlocks alive.
taldarinzphoenix wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:16 pm beasts of nurgle
Yes I think Caradryan can deal with a unit of four but the Poison from six would kill Ashtari. Your PG should beat them head-on.
taldarinzphoenix wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:16 pm crazy combat vampire with a huge brick of black knights.
If you can, sacrifice eagles etc to keep these out of combat until you've dealt with the support elements.
taldarinzphoenix wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:16 pm tettoeko
I assume he'll use this guy to Vanguard the Temple Guard plus support into your face? Maybe Scout the Shadow Warriors in front of them to restrict this? It's worth sacrificing this unit for.
taldarinzphoenix wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:26 pm cast pretty much all of the 5+ spells with 1 die, shems, fireball, melekoths. with the book of hoeth, its very likely that i will get the spell with a rerollable 3+
Excellent point.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#6 Post by Prince of Spires »

I can see how the list works. It's all about magic and the big PG block. If your opponent can deal with those you lose, if he can't you win.

I'm not a fan of the bows on the reavers. 5 s3 shots after moving (or 10 for both units) just don't do all that much, especially at 3,000pts, where units tend to be larger. Reavers are there to hold up enemy units and die in the process. I don't think adding the bows does anything for them, and they can be points saved (20 pts can almost get you another SH, which might not do much, but it's a 20% increase in the unit's size).

The same actually goes for the Shadow Warriors. I love the models, and I keep bringing them. But they always fail to perform. Reavers are better (if more expensive) because they're core and they're more mobile. Either bring more reavers, or more eagles. Eagles are pretty much always better than SW. They perform the same role (again, the 5 S3 attacks from the SW will not do much), and they're 20 pts cheaper.

Besides that, I do feel you've got too many redirectors. 2 units of reavers, 2 GE, and the SW. Even the SH unit can be used for this in a pinch. For my personal taste, that's 1 or even 2 too many at 3k pts (I tend to go with 1 per 1,000 pts). Of course, they help dictate when and where you fight, which is very powerful, but I personally would drop the SW alltogether, and use the 70 pts for something else. (I would also drop 1 eagle I think, which would have by now saved me 140pts).

Like SA I would also drop the gem of Sunfire on the Handmaiden and swap it out for the potion of Strength.

The rest is mainly personal preference I think. There isn't that much shooting in the list (for 3000pts) for instance, but then my elven archers are blind and never actually achieve anything, so I'm not sure that's a loss. And characters like the Handmaiden are a bit situational to my taste. Yes, she makes the sisters better. But you're speding 140pts to make 140pts worth of 24'' S4 shots better. I don't think I would make that investment, or I would bring more sisters. At 140 pts, the sisters are a disposable support unit. At 280pts combined, they're almost 10% of your army and they need to deliver a lot more value. And with BS5, I'd just accept the -1 to hit for moving. But that's just me. I'd probably just double the unit and figure 10 extra S4 shots trumps 3 BS7, S5 shots most of the time.

Let us know how the list performs.
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
taldarinzphoenix

#7 Post by taldarinzphoenix »

Ok so I made some modifications based off the feedback.

I didn't realize gem of sunfire was user only, for whatever reason i thought it conferred to the unit. that significantly limits its usefulness… I took the handmaiden out completely. I agree for 140 points, it isn't doing twice the work of a sisters unit. A second 10 sisters are better…. But i didnt do that.

I downgraded the reavers to just spears only. I agree with the 5S3 bows sentiment. I think ive managed to kill a jezzail or a couple clanrats with them before but overall they do nothing. I added 2 more spearmen to the unit to keep my core above 750.

I upgraded to the talisman of preservation to the Archmage.

I decided to use the saved points from the handmaiden to boost the size of my PG. they are now 35 strong (up from 27)

The 2x eagles and 2x reavers have more or less been mandatory in even my 2000 point games, ive used them to good effect. I decided to keep the SW because for 70 points I get a turn 2 opportunity to charge a warmachine. Although skaven may be the only ones that bring them, i have found that if the opponent knows they are there, they deploy differently, and that is worth the 70pts in a 3000pt list.
taldarinzphoenix

#8 Post by taldarinzphoenix »

Game 1 vs the Vampire counts ended in a nearly flawless High elf victory. I thought he would take manfred but he didn't, he took a blender lord on a horse, in a unit of ~15 black knights, but his general was a Lv4 necro. His vamp was a Lv2 of death, he also had a backup lv2 necro of vampires.

He brought a ton of stuff but we rolled blood and Glory, and he only had a fortitude of 4, with a breakpoint of 3. He bunkered his skeletons with a banner and general behind an enormous wave of undead BS. The other banner was with the vampire lord and the black knights. So i either had to fight through his whole army to get to the skeletons/general or just suck it up and go for the knights. Honestly, 2/3 of this battle was completely irrelevant, so ill summarize the relevant part.

I deployed my shadow warriors 9” infront of the knights with reavers vanguarded directly behind them.

He got turn 1, charged the Shadow warriors. Magic (even with 4d6) did nearly nothing all game interestingly. Over ran into the reavers.

My turn1, i brought my Phoenix guard up more or less squared up against the flank of the knights, and flew one of my eagles infront of a zombie block next to the knights to keep the flank clear. The other eagle squared up behind the reavers. Caradryan flew over to the knights other flank on the far side. If the knights reformed to charge the PG theyd be rear charged by caradryan. My loremaster tried to cast searing doom first on 3 dice and rolled 1,1,1. A 1 rerolled into a 4, failed to cast, lost concentration. Here is where the game immediately went my way though. He failed his restrain roll on the knights with an 11, and didnt have a bsb. Went right into the eagle.

His turn 2: Zombies charged their eagle killed it (with some buffs) and they restrained and reformed to face what will be the flank of my PG in just a moment. They killed the other eagle, reformed to face the PG. again magic was a bust, i scrolled an invocate and nothing really happened.

My turn 2: PG charged the knights in the front, caradryan actually didnt get to the rear, it was the flank. It was debatable measuring….. but i gave it to him because i didnt think it really would matter. During my magic phase, for the 2nd turn in a row, my loremaster rolled 1,1,2 for his first casting attempt of the magic phase... (he did literally nothing all game). My high mage miscast on dispel magic, so i got the 3+ ward, and the miscast actually killed 2 knights and none of my PG. win. Between my PG (with razor standard) caradryan and ashtari, i won the combat and wiped everything but the champion and vampire lord to unstable. His fortitude dropped to 3, and i won blood and glory.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#9 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:11 pm or I would bring more sisters
I feel a unit of 20 with Handmaiden makes at least theoretical sense. I've seen it but it could do with more testing.
taldarinzphoenix wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:54 pm I took the handmaiden out completely.
Depending on the list a Handmaiden can be better value than 10 Sisters. Those BS 7 shots are useful (especially when boosted to S8) and they are easier to place. She's easier to keep alive too.
taldarinzphoenix wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:42 pm My turn1, i brought my Phoenix guard up more or less squared up against the flank of the knights, and flew one of my eagles infront of a zombie block next to the knights to keep the flank clear. The other eagle squared up behind the reavers. Caradryan flew over to the knights other flank on the far side. If the knights reformed to charge the PG theyd be rear charged by caradryan.
You completely boxed them in it seems.
taldarinzphoenix wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:42 pm My high mage miscast on dispel magic, so i got the 3+ ward, and the miscast actually killed 2 knights and none of my PG.
That's just rude!

:lol:

In my games I'm currently wrestling with how the hell to put a dent into 3++ PG.
taldarinzphoenix wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:42 pm Game 1 vs the Vampire counts ended in a nearly flawless High elf victory.
Congratulations!
taldarinzphoenix

#10 Post by taldarinzphoenix »

SpellArcher wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:24 pm
In my games I'm currently wrestling with how the hell to put a dent into 3++ PG.
Dwellers below, final transmutation, melekoths and pit of shades, curse of the horned rat (kills them too efficiently). There is a nurgle spell tbat gets them pretty good too, i dont remember what it was but i had to keep rolling toughness tests over and over. the only other option that beats me is something big that beats them in combat res. Ive lost them to running away against a unit of corsairs with 2 hand weapons and a war hydra, ive lost them to the screaming bell hoarde.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#11 Post by SpellArcher »

Miasma and other manipulative spells like Acquiescence can be good combined with redirectors to keep the PG out of the fight and that approach more or less worked for me in my last game against them.

I'm currently rocking Daemons though and just don't have a unit that can beat them one on one. Combo-charging them is difficult and even then, I won't be able to grind them down before High Elf support comes in.

The only way I think is Final Transmutation followed by a double charge but coordinating that against strong magic defence is very tricky. Too easy to get it wrong and die horribly.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#12 Post by Prince of Spires »

Blocks of PG are fearsome. Though it pays to remember that they're still only T3, 5+ armour save models. A 3+ ward is amazing of course. But getting a lot of wounds in shouldn't be an issue. Which is what you need to power through the unit. But I agree that redirecting and ignoring it might be a better choice in many situations. They're M5 infantry, which means that with a bunch of redirectors / sacrificial units you can keep them occupied for a while.
taldarinzphoenix wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:42 pm He brought a ton of stuff but we rolled blood and Glory, and he only had a fortitude of 4, with a breakpoint of 3.
I find the scenario's interesting. They're definitely a way of balancing some armies. They're also something many people (me included) forget when designing an army. I never count my armies fortitude or wonder how well I'd perform in one of the other scenario's. Maybe part of it is that they're either just another variation of a pitched battle or too random. Meeting engagement and battle for the pass aren't different enough from a pitched battle. Dawn attack is something you can't really plan for. And Watchtower is a bit broken for some armies.

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
taldarinzphoenix

#13 Post by taldarinzphoenix »

I wont even play watchtower against Vampire counts. Once they get in there, you cant get them out
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#14 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:25 am But I agree that redirecting and ignoring it might be a better choice in many situations.
To get to 3++ the PG need the High Archmage of course. One side benefit of messing them around is that he may be too far away or facing the wrong direction to get desired spells off. I recently profited from this in a game against Seredain where his big Winds of Magic turned up at just such a time.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#15 Post by Prince of Spires »

taldarinzphoenix wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:39 pm I wont even play watchtower against Vampire counts. Once they get in there, you cant get them out
Yeah, I think the rules for buildings are a mess. They work as long as there is nothing critical in the building (like an objective), since then the building only grants limited advantages. But for a scenario like Watchtower, it's a disaster. I've seen people replace the tower with a different terrain element, like a hill. That sort of makes sense, and makes for a tense battle. Or alternatively, have holding the building grant victory points, or have multiple locations on the battlefield matter in terms of victory points. That way, you can't just sit back and hold the tower, since you'd still lose.

Check out my plog

taldarinzphoenix

#16 Post by taldarinzphoenix »

ok I just played game 3 vs Dark elves. I was wrong about a couple things....

first off, my opponent brought a Witch elf deathstar, with 40 witch elves and the cauldron of blood with Hellebron on the cauldron. he also had a seperate larger unit of dreadspears housing his BSB and sorceress Lord. there was also a group of doomfire warlocks, and 2 hydras, 2 bolt throwers.

with the deathstar right in the middle of the field, i counter deployted my PG, figuring they were the best opposition to the witch elves.... more on that later. the sisters were more or less relegated to dealing with the doomfire warlocks. Caradryan was deployted next to my PG, i wasnt sure exactly what to do with him, but i figured he is the best opposition to the hydras. My spears lined up across from his spears. we each had a couple units of fast cav.

Dark elves got first turn, and the big units marched up. doomfire locks killed a unit of ellyrian reavers with doombolt. i lost a handful of spearmen to doombolt also.
my turn one, i charged some shades with greatweapons with my reavers, killed 3 of them on the charge, lost 2 reavers to the remaining 2, but i won combat, they broke and fled off the edge of the board. i shot at the doomfire warlocks, and got like 6 wounds on them with the sisters, but he made all 6 4+ ward saves. i cast firey convocation on the witch elves, but it was dispelled. i think i got like... a fireball and a shems off on his fast cav and killed 1 unit of it. bolt throwers knocked a couple wounds off one of the hydras.

his turn 2, mostly moving around and being annoying, everything advanced, the witch elves were right in the middle of the board at this point. hydras were very close to my spears,, moving in a pair. his spears were behind the hydras. I lost an eagle to magic trying to chaff the witch elves. caradryan charged the hydra in the flank, and killed it, the D3 wounds ability is great when opponent doesnt have a ward save. my PG charged his witch elves. if i didnt, i was definitely going to be charged in my turn. i believe i cast a dispel magic on word of pain, which had been cast on my PG. that was really the only thing that happened that mattered for magic. My sisters of Averlorn wounded the doomfire warlocks 6 times again, and he made 5 of the saves. abosolutely incredible. they made 11 of the 12 4+ saves they were subjected to up to now. In combat, hellebron and the elves did something like 50+ attacks, with rerolls to hit and rerolls to wound. this resulted in like 11 PG deaths after the 3+ ward.. the remaining PG, without rerolls to hit, managed to kill like 6 of the witch elves. suffice to say, i lost this combat so bad. I severely misunderstood the power of this stupid deathstar. the PG broke, i lost my Lv4 high mage general, and my BSB. and this was MY TURN! i really should have reserved caradryan for the witch elves. but at this point, we played out 1 more round, but the deal was sealed, i really just couldnt compete at that point, i managed to kill the other hydra with caradryan and the spears, but there was no way my spears could line up vs the witch elves, so we ended the game with a Dark elf major victory after turn 3.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#17 Post by SpellArcher »

Ouch!

:(

It sounds like you were making some progress against the support units, despite the outrageous saves of the Warlocks. Also that the Witch Elf combat came too soon, before you had a chance to threaten it's flanks or get a cast of Convocation off. I get that the sheer insanity of that deathstar must have come as a shock.

I played 8th Edition tournaments for almost ten years and never faced it. I have the feeling it was more popular in the US for example than in the UK. If it hits it's usually horrific but it remains an Infantry-speed unit that can be redirected or avoided for a while. 5+ Ward and MR1 on everything is good but not crazy. What took me aback was the re-roll all failed wounds bit. Masses of Poison, plenty of S10(!) attacks from Hellebron and that extra 4+ to dispel, it's not polite at all.

My gut feeling would be to deploy the PG on the baseline and 6-dice Convocation repeatedly. +8 to dispel won't stop IF or a 6v3 magic phase. Hellebron looks killable, presumably every model in contact with the Cauldron can attack her. Caradryan into a flank will help a lot but no way should he go in frontally vs all that Poison.
taldarinzphoenix wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 5:18 pm the remaining PG, without rerolls to hit, managed to kill like 6 of the witch elves.
Aren't all attacks simultaneous here?
taldarinzphoenix

#18 Post by taldarinzphoenix »

[/quote]
SpellArcher wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 11:58 am It sounds like you were making some progress against the support units, despite the outrageous saves of the Warlocks. Also that the Witch Elf combat came too soon, before you had a chance to threaten it's flanks or get a cast of Convocation off. I get that the sheer insanity of that deathstar must have come as a shock.
I have never had my PG slapped down that hard before, usually 30+ PG can hold the line against pretty much anything. looking at a witch elf statblock is misleading too. 1 attack, S3 and poison. easy. oh, paired weapons. A2. Oh frenzy. A3. oh super frenzy A4. with the rerolls. I thought to myself well... i have a5+ armor save and a 3+ ward, I will at least hold... wait hellebron has how many attacks?? 10! there is no way.... ok... STRENGTH 10! what the actual hell! can I see your army book!? well.... yea ok, thats busted.
SpellArcher wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 11:58 am
Aren't all attacks simultaneous here?

this actually went against my favor. but yes we struck at the same time. it was my charge, so I rolled first. i had my PG in an 7x5 formation. so i got 1 archmage attack, 3 BSB noble attacks, and 20 PG attacks (6 from the front, champion, and 7+7 for ranks 2-3) with no rerolls to hit, i must have scored like lets say 12 hits. better than average chance of wounding would lead to like... 8ish inflicted wounds, saving a couple from the with elves 5+ ward save, I killed 6 witch elves. AFTER i rolled all my dice, and killed the 6 witch elves, THEN i realized how horrifying Hellebron was. See if i realized how awful she was, I would have directed like 12 attacks against her. but after hellebron and his witch elves attacked, I lost 11 PG. it was pretty surprising.
combat res was: I had 6 kills, BSB, Unit banner, charge, 2 rank bonus ( im pretty sure I had 25 models left in the unit i think, which was 7/7/7/4). total combat res of 11. he had 11 kills, 3 ranks, banner. i lost by 4, and had to make a 5, rerollable, which i failed. lost the unit on the over run.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#19 Post by SpellArcher »

taldarinzphoenix wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 3:59 pm looking at a witch elf statblock is misleading too.
The truly evil thing here for me is WS 4. You think that's a bad thing. Then you realise that yes it's more misses than WS 5 but with the re-rolls it's also more chances to roll 6's for Poison.
Bergenomics

#20 Post by Bergenomics »

I have faced off against this Witch Elf Deathstar numerous times. It's one of the most lethal blocks in WFB. Basically avoid it at all costs when you see it is my advice. Pray for good spells. This deathstar is basically broken. lol