Rules clarification on stacking ward saves in WAP

All discussions related to games of fantasy battles such as AoS, T9A, KoW, MESBG, WAP, Warmaster, etc go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Ramesesis

Rules clarification on stacking ward saves in WAP

#1 Post by Ramesesis »

I just started to think about one thing and that is how it is possible to stack ward saves.

Am I correct in that if your unit have parry that will stack with elves grace that gives a dodge +6?

If so, I now realize that our warriors can become potentially rock hard when fighting to the front!
With medium armour and shield it would be a 4+ armour save and a 5+ ward in hand to hand!

They will not be able to dish out as many attacks as our spears but they would be a bit more surviveable.

I was going to get rid of my heavily armoured warriors and only keep a unit of 10 warriors with two hand weapons and light armour.

But now I feel I should keep at least 10 of them as a support unit.
Aerendar Valandil

Re: Rules clarification on stacking ward saves in WAP

#2 Post by Aerendar Valandil »

Against about anything S3 they are really OK.

I often have unit of warriors present to have the opportunity to occupy the tower. Often it is a unit of 10 with double weapon that I can use as skirmishers as well. With WPN and Shield I would go for 15 I think.
Tethlis

#3 Post by Tethlis »

So there are a few ideas going on here.

The first is yes, Parry stacks with the 6+ Dodge that all High Elf infantry get in Warhammer Armies Project. You combine both of these for a 5+ Ward.

Also, if you have two hand weapons, you also get a Parry Save. It isn't just hand weapon + shield. High Elves don't have that many models that dual wield, or that just use hand weapon + shield, but those that can will have a 5+ Ward (Shadow Warriors are a nice choice here.) White Lions are also a good candidate, since they can opt to get a 6+ Parry when receiving a charge, for a 5+ Parry in total.

Ward Stacking is a big part of the WAP ruleset, and High Elves basically get a "head start" on all their infantry units due to having that innate 6+ Ward in close combat. The best way to maximize this is with spells (High Magic Lore attribute, Earthblood from Lore of Life) or with Magic Items (Swordmasters, for example, get a 6+ Ward versus missile fire, which can combine with Ironcurse Icon to provide extra protection vs Warmachines... That sort of thing.)
Warden of Tor Galadh
Ramesesis

#4 Post by Ramesesis »

Oh, I missed that about two weapons! That makes warriors armed with two hand weapons sort of interesting.
Aerendar Valandil

#5 Post by Aerendar Valandil »

I missed that too!