How to deal with Skaven as High elves

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: How to deal with Skaven as High elves

#31 Post by Prince of Spires »

Fair enough. That makes more sense. :) Stil, facing at least 2 casts of dreaded 13th per game is brutal.

You could of course match him, cast for cast, with Dwellers Below. It's only 21 to cast, making it a lot easier to pull off. And with Throne of Vines you have great miscast protection. You don't have any warpstone tokens unfortunately. But it's still an amazing tool to have. And a Grey Seer will fail half the time. I personally believe this spell is there to balance out hordes like the bell unit.
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
taldarinzphoenix

#32 Post by taldarinzphoenix »

Fully agree with Dwellers, I did try to cast it.. twice? during that game? I got throne on turn 1, and my opponent never tried to dispel it the whole game. I was prioritizing Flesh to stone and regrowth more so than dwellers. I had the Banner of Averlorn in the Lions unit, so it seemed like a waste to not try to cast it with a +8 (or a +6) respectively. when i did get dwellers off, it was when my opponent tried to get rid of flesh to stone, or regrowth (he seemed to prioritize getting rid of regrowth more than anything, the bell can pretty much instantly kill all the lions if it rolls... like a 10-11 on 3d6 because they were T7 so he was letting me have that, but the bell never rolled that result thankfullly)

you know strangely enough, theStormvermin unit wasnt a problem at all, it was the bell more than anything. Unbreakable is crazy when there are 50 models in a unit. once you hit the bell, iyou really do need overwhelming and impresisve offense to actually get rid of it. , you just cant chew through its wounds naturally. it took lions and more importantly the phoenix to finally take it down. but i got it at the bottom of my turn 5 or 6, I forget, its incredibly durable. How is the bell not an absolute Auto-include in every single skaven list, its so incredibly cheap for what it provides the seer and his unit.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#33 Post by Prince of Spires »

taldarinzphoenix wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:02 amHow is the bell not an absolute Auto-include in every single skaven list, its so incredibly cheap for what it provides the seer and his unit.
Cannons, insta-kill spells and personal preference.

A dwarven gunline can probably remove the bell T1 or perhaps T2 from the table, after which the unit isn't all that special.

Insta-kill spells work great against many horde style units. 2 casts of Dwellers and the bell becomes fairly immobile and the unit becomes weak enough to deal with in combat. This also means that the ward and MR are the biggest issue that make the thing broken.

Of course, if you want to have fun with it in combat, you could always try mindrazor on a unit of PG or spearmen.

Though I do agree that it's a very strong choice, especially against Elves, who tend to field a fair amount of 1W T3 infantry.
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.