Anointed Build on Flamespyre

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
taldarinzphoenix

Anointed Build on Flamespyre

#1 Post by taldarinzphoenix »

Its probably been thought of before, but I had an idea to utilize an annointed on a flamespyre phoenix

Total points cost: 485
Annointed of Asuryan 210
-mounted on Flamespyre Phoenix 225
-Equipped with Reaver bow 25
-equipped with Khaines ring of fury 25

Essentially, the phoenix can freely fly over ranked units, and the annointed can fire both the bow and soul quench, improving its save to 3+ and the Phoenix’s to 4+, they’d also have a sweet 2+ save vs magic.

Is this just too much of an investment for what you get? Id likely take a lore of shadows Archmage alongside it and hope for the withering to maximize the fire/soul quench damage
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: Anointed Build on Flamespyre

#2 Post by Prince of Spires »

It's an interesting idea for sure. I think it very much depends on the environment you play in and the rest of your list.

The downsides are that this will likely be your general. And while you have high leadership overall, it still helps to have your general nearby.

It's also a lot of points invested. Almost 500 points is 20-25% of your army. Of course, those are well protected points, but you still want them to earn points as well. And magic, shooting and the wake of fire damage all have the problem that they do damage units, but they don't finish them off. You can compensate for this with the rest of your list of course, but it's something to consider.

Lastly, from when I tried it, the wake of fire damage just isn't very powerful. You will do a lot of damage to weak troops with lots of ranks (like goblins and skaven). But they don't really care all that much about losing 10 models. And it becomes a lot worse against more powerful units, who often only have limited ranks, and high T / armour.

Still, it's a fun idea. And especially if you play in a non-competitive setting, or in a setting which rewards points denial, then it can definitely work.
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#3 Post by SpellArcher »

Welcome sir.

:)
Prince of Spires wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:23 pm points denial
This is where the ridden Flamespyre really shines.
taldarinzphoenix wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:08 pm improving its save to 3+ and the Phoenix’s to 4+, they’d also have a sweet 2+ save vs magic.
Not only this, the 2+ Ward vs Flaming is awesome, not to mention the resurrection.
Prince of Spires wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:23 pm you still want them to earn points as well
There's a strong case for building this guy for close combat. The ranged build is interesting though, especially if combined with other mobile units and perhaps RBT. I like the idea of Shadow magic with this, if you can fit it.
taldarinzphoenix

#4 Post by taldarinzphoenix »

Doing the math on the list overall, I would have to play at 2400 or 2500 to be able to also bring a Lv4 or shadow, and still have the ability to have some units on the table.

Would the walk between worlds High magic Spell allow the phoenix to double dip on its wake of fire?
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#5 Post by SpellArcher »

taldarinzphoenix wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:10 pm Would the walk between worlds High magic Spell allow the phoenix to double dip on its wake of fire?
The Wake of Fire description on pg 53 of the army book specifically references the Remaining Moves sub-phase. The Walk Between Worlds move is described as happening (on pg 62) "as if it were" the Remaining Moves sub-phase. My reading is that Wake of Fire wouldn't happen when using the spell. The magical move still is not actually happening in the Remaining Moves sub-phase. I agree that an argument can be made the other way though.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#6 Post by Prince of Spires »

I think wake of fire works with Walk between Worlds. The spell mentions you move as if it's the Remaining Moves sub-phase (which means things like you can't charge). Part of the Remaining Moves phase here is having the Wake of Fire effect. I can see SA's argument as well though.
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.