Making a Cothique elite infantry unit - which should they count as?

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Ramesesis

Making a Cothique elite infantry unit - which should they count as?

#1 Post by Ramesesis »

Note: I am using the Warhammer armies project rules.

Many years ago I started to make my own Cothique elite unit, called Guard of Mathlann.

The idea was to have them count as Phoenix guards and fight with halberds and "boarding pikes".

The base would be high elf and dark elf spears, and pimp them up with bits and pieces, alternative heads etc.

The idea would be that the members have to make a quest down into the haunted and abandoned lower halls and caves to recover lost artfacts, weapon and armour.

What they recover becomes the base for their kit as members of Guards of Mathlann.

As it stands I can either make 20-25 of these or maybe 25 more spearelves. Having 30 spears and 20 Sea Guards and 14 archers it is a question if I need more core or if I need a second elite infantry unit to complement my White Lions.

Mostly fighting all Kinds of undead and some dwarves a unit of stoic elites feels tempting and more fun to take on.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Making a Cothique elite infantry unit - which should they count as?

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

Ramesesis wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:57 am Mostly fighting all Kinds of undead and some dwarves a unit of stoic elites feels tempting and more fun to take on.
They sound really cool as an elite unit and likely more effective too.
Aerendar Valandil

#3 Post by Aerendar Valandil »

In 3rd Ed. 'Ship's Companies' could have (long) bow and a two handed weapon.

And 'Merchant's Companies' (closest to seaguards) could have bows and halberds (or better said: they were organized like the DE City Guard and had half halberds or spears and the other half bows.)

And if you look further on this site, you might find some cothique unit of seamonster hunters with pole weapons and nets.
Aerendar Valandil

#4 Post by Aerendar Valandil »

You can find it here, and the post is actually mine (though the idea was not, it came from an older incarnatuon of the site).

viewtopic.php?f=80&t=33544&p=693995&hilit=nets#p693995

And here you can find the ideas of someone else who had a similar idea: https://pdfslide.net/documents/high-elv ... ml?page=34
Ramesesis

#5 Post by Ramesesis »

Now that is great inspiration!

My plan is to use old plastic box dark elves spears sine most of them actually look like glaives. Also there is the variety. I guess I will have some halberds mixed in so as to indicate what kind of weapons they count as.

The command trio will propably have sea dragon cloaks since I had already mixed some dark elf corsairs torsos with high elf spears lower bodies.

And I have an Anointed of Mathlann I can put in to lead them.