6th edition homebrew rules

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Francis

6th edition homebrew rules

#1 Post by Francis »

Hi!

Its been a few years since I actually logged on to this forum (KoW and other stuff has been the focus after GW's meltdown), but as I am growing older I am slowly drifting back to my favorite Warhammer edition, and I have some friends who are in i similar position. However, 6th had some issues among them parts of the high elf list was quite bad. I have therefore made a short eretta with some changes that I think would make the list more internally balanced and make it more in line with later 6th edition books.

If any one of you have some comments that would be great. One thing to note is that I have stayed away from actually changing any points costs, this is mostly so I don't have to look up points two different places.

Army building
• Remove 0-1 limitation on all unit choices.
• Remove the Intrigue at Court rule.
Elven Bows
• High Elves on foot with bows or longbows can shoot with one more rank than is normally allowed.
White lions
• White Lions come equipped with heavy armour.
• White Lions are a Special unit choice.
• Exchange the “Bodyguards” special rule for the “Stubborn” special rule.
Shadow Warriors
• Shadow Warriors may take shields for 1 point per model.
Spearmen and Lothern Seaguard
• Spearmen and Lothern Seaguard may take heavy armour at 1 point per model.
• Lothern Seaguard always come equipped with shields at no increase to points cost.
Phoenix Guard
• Phoenix Guard have a 5+ ward save.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: 6th edition homebrew rules

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

Francis wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:19 am Its been a few years since I actually logged on to this forum
Welcome back Francis.

:)
Francis wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:19 am However, 6th had some issues among them parts of the high elf list was quite bad.
You might remember that GW actually issued changes to the Dark Elf book of the time via White Dwarf, it was considered that bad. Gav Thorpe mentioned in that article that he'd received lots of requests for changes from High Elf players too but they decided against changing that. I agree it was unbalanced, in particular cav heavy was considered the way to go.
Francis wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:19 am Army building
• Remove 0-1 limitation on all unit choices.
• Remove the Intrigue at Court rule.
Can't see a problem with these changes.
Francis wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:19 am Elven Bows
• High Elves on foot with bows or longbows can shoot with one more rank than is normally allowed.
I believe they seriously considered keeping this from 5th Edition for the 6th book but concluded it was just a little too strong. Might benefit from some play testing, given that other army books were released after 6th Edition High Elves.
Francis wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:19 am White lions
• White Lions come equipped with heavy armour.
• White Lions are a Special unit choice.
• Exchange the “Bodyguards” special rule for the “Stubborn” special rule.
Seem entirely reasonable.
Francis wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:19 am Shadow Warriors
• Shadow Warriors may take shields for 1 point per model.
As above.
Francis wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:19 am Spearmen and Lothern Seaguard
• Spearmen and Lothern Seaguard may take heavy armour at 1 point per model.
• Lothern Seaguard always come equipped with shields at no increase to points cost.
Seem fine, except possibly if combined with shooting in two ranks, again, might benefit from testing.
Francis wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:19 am Phoenix Guard
• Phoenix Guard have a 5+ ward save.
I like this, 4+ might have been too much in 6th but 5+ could be the sweet spot. As things stand, PG and Lions are just worse than SM's, who themselves aren't amazing.
Francis

#3 Post by Francis »

Thanks for the response, Spell Archer, I really appreciate it.
Seems like these changes weren’t very controversial at all. Happy to see that. It might also be that not that many play 6th edition anymore.
On the archers firing in two ranks. It is probably the best upgrade here, and I think it is needed to make archers and especially Lothern Sea Guard viable. The alternative is to lower the price of the units and I prefer not to do that.

The 5++ on the PG is also very needed I think, but 4++ would probably have been too much for 6th the way I remember it.
I am going to do some play testing soon I hope, primarily against my brother who plays skaven so I doubt I’ll hear cries of the list being overpowered against that. :P
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#4 Post by SpellArcher »

Francis wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:44 pm Thanks for the response, Spell Archer, I really appreciate it.
You're welcome dude.
Francis wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:44 pm It might also be that not that many play 6th edition anymore.
Now and again we get a post about it.
Francis wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:44 pm The 5++ on the PG is also very needed I think, but 4++ would probably have been too much for 6th the way I remember it.
Elite Infantry in general took a nerf in 6th edition I feel but especially HIgh Elves.
Francis wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:44 pm I am going to do some play testing soon I hope, primarily against my brother who plays skaven so I doubt I’ll hear cries of the list being overpowered against that.
I remember Rattling Guns being sources of particular woe. Power to your dice sir!

:)
TyrrenAzureblade

#5 Post by TyrrenAzureblade »

I'm about to start a pretty loose 6th edition campaign with some work folks and having looked through the book, I like these errata a lot. An all cavalry High Elf list doesn't feel thematic, but it seems that's the best way to make High Elves work in 6th. I doubt they'd be game to include errata like these, the guy running the campaign LOVES 6th. Maybe I can convince them to try 7th or 8th down the line.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#6 Post by SpellArcher »

TyrrenAzureblade wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:53 pm An all cavalry High Elf list doesn't feel thematic, but it seems that's the best way to make High Elves work in 6th.
Probably strongest but other respectable builds exist. I remember fighting a decent list at the time which was built around infantry. It had a spear block, two units of archers, two RBT, Swordmaster block and some cavalry. The magic was strong, Curse of Arrow Attraction caused me a lot of trouble.
TyrrenAzureblade

#7 Post by TyrrenAzureblade »

SpellArcher wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:29 pm Probably strongest but other respectable builds exist. I remember fighting a decent list at the time which was built around infantry. It had a spear block, two units of archers, two RBT, Swordmaster block and some cavalry. The magic was strong, Curse of Arrow Attraction caused me a lot of trouble.
Interesting. See, I'd like to do something like that. Unfortunately they're starting at 1k and that doesn't allow me a lot of magic. Maybe a Lv.2 Mage with Silver wand, Seer and Channeler Honors? Maybe something like this:

++ Standard (High Elf) [1,000pts] ++

+ Heroes +

Mage [180pts]: Magic Level 2
. Magic and Honours: Channeler, Pure of Heart, Seer, Silver Wand

+ Core +

Archers [120pts]: 10x Archers

Spearmen [250pts]: Champion, Musician, 20x Spearmen, Standard Bearer

+ Special +

Dragon Princes of Caledor [175pts]: 5x Dragon Princes of Caledor, Drakemaster, Musician, Standard Bearer

Swordmasters of Hoeth [225pts]: Bladelord, Musician, Standard Bearer, 15x Swordmasters of Hoeth

+ Rare +

Great Eagle [50pts]: Great Eagle

++ Total: [1,000pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#8 Post by SpellArcher »

TyrrenAzureblade wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:56 am Maybe a Lv.2 Mage with Silver wand, Seer and Channeler Honors?
I’d be tempted by a Dispel Scroll Tyrren but your guy looks quite potent for a lvl 2.
TyrrenAzureblade wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:56 am Maybe something like this:
I’ve a love of shooting so would take more but you do have some aggressive combat power here.
Francis

#9 Post by Francis »

TyrrenAzureblade wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:53 pm I'm about to start a pretty loose 6th edition campaign with some work folks and having looked through the book, I like these errata a lot. I doubt they'd be game to include errata like these, the guy running the campaign LOVES 6th. Maybe I can convince them to try 7th or 8th down the line.
Glad you like them, Tyrren :). I tried to change as little as possible, and refrain from the temptation to make the High Elves army much stronger. These changes are more about making some options more viable. I would just present them to your group and then discuss it with them, It is also important that they understand that 6th edition is very far from balanced. In my years I have met some players who seem to think any sort of homebrewed errats can only unbalance the game, and this is certainly not the case.

We also play with a few inclusions from 7th edition, most notably that mages only can use the power dice they generate themselves plus the two communal ones, and that full ranks are 5 strong. We also include a version of steadfast (from 8th) to make it even more difficult for elite units to break larger infantry units with a simple front charge (units are steadfast if they have a higher rank bonus than their opponents, all flank and rear attacks remove rank bonus).

As for your list, I like it. The only thing is that I might have liked to include an RBT, especially if your mage gets Curse of Arrow attraction. Then again, to include one at 1000p you would have to change the list a quite a bit. Tell us how the campaign goes?