6th Edition battle Blog... Bit of a mess 😂

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Ariastes

6th Edition battle Blog... Bit of a mess 😂

#1 Post by Ariastes »

Hello!
Posted my first topic post in 8th edition. However I found out that the group I'd Joined on Tuesday, in Bristol plays 6th edition typically. So... What happened next goes here I guess πŸ˜‚
I'd already agreed to a game the next day so my chariot swarm project (The Tiranocii Drag Race) was put to the side and I scrambled to put together a 6th edition Saphery force. Got to love the 6th edition magic Item choice! (going to describe what they are for those of us, like myself can't remember what they were πŸ˜‚

Lord
Arch age lvl 4. +1 to cast starwood staff, Guardian Pheonix 5 ward save, Seer honour... Pick spells. 30 pts to pick spells 😭😭 I've been spoilt.

Hero
BSB Commander, armour of Protection 6 up 4 up, shield, biting blade - 1 armour save

Mage lvl 2 ring of fury (soul quench/fury of khaine bound spell) jewel of dusk + power dice

Mage lvl 2 ring of corin (bound vauls unmaking) and silver wand... Which gave him an extra spell... Which I forgot about and never used 😭😭

Core
19 spear full command and +combat res warbanner

10 archers

5 silver helms full command

Special
29 swordmasters full command banner of sorcery ( +D3 power dice) and blessed tome on Chapion. Gave every model +1 ldrship. My attempt at getting round intrigue at court keeping General in that unit with BSB... Never actually was useful.

Rare
Bolt thrower
Eagle

Actual Battle.
Opponent played Dwarfs
runesmith, Lord Dwarf, thane, 2 warriors units, ironbreakers, trollslayers, quarallers, thunderer, organ gun, cannon, stone thrower.

Before I say anything about the battle I will straight up say opp was very unlucky in shooting and I was crazy lucky in my magic. 3 wizards. 11 or 12 pwr dice a turn... Only 1 miscast. On my Arch age. Whose ward save stopped the wound. His stone thrower killed 3 dwarfs no elves. And organ gun killed nothing before dying. Lady luck liked me tonight.

I had first turn. Deployment had been centre focused. Flanking Eagle and Eagle claw RF silver helms and archers right. Everything els in middle. Opp focused on middle and his hill... But left unprotected the organ gun to face my s helms.

Turn 1 I go first.
Movement
March infantry in the centre. Bird goes wide. S helms sweep up the left flank archers move up.

Magic. I start the long grind of drawing out his 6 dispel dice on bound spells. Opp really hates ring of corin(understandable) destroys runic item. Less worried about kaines fury. ARCHMAGE has flames of Pheonix and fury of khaine. Also c of a attraction and w b t w... I don't use those two... Should have added vauls unmaking.
Seer doesn't help if you pick stupidly, πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
. FURYmage has fire gets fireball and flame wall. CORINmage has metal law of gold and burning rule of law. Basically every magic turn from now I cast the bound spells a fireball, law of gold, fury of khaine, flames of Pheonix sometimes firewall. Burning law until his BSB Thane died. He dispelled some but ROC is a stupidly scary to a dwarf player. I won't go in depth next turn but on average I killed 10 or so dwarfs a turn to magic screw the dwari πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Shooting. The bolthrower plinked 6 shots a turn and rolled mostly 3s or below... This is where my bad luck was πŸ˜‚ archers killed organ gunner turn one.

Opp turn 1
He marched forwards aggressively
He fluffed most his shooting a few dead elves but nothing major. His organ gunfailed to kill any silver helms. πŸ˜‚

Turn 2
Charge silver helms and Eagle at the war machines! Eagle is an inch out!!! Bugger.

March sword masters and spears just outside my estimated dwarf charge range. Mages move out of units but hide behind them. Archers wheel around annoying terrain to aim centrw

Magic 15 odd dwarfs die and destroy 4 up wardsave.
Thane BSb 1 wound left.

Shooting bolt thrower plink some dwarves. A couple die.

Combat
Silver helms crush organ gun! Overrun off table to avoid turn of wheeling round annoying (different) terrain feature.

Opp turn 2 he marches right in my face about 2 inches offf he do be grudging. Maybe my ancestor annoyed his? πŸ˜‚ His trollslaers wheel towards my silver helms overran off the board too.
Shooting. Again his was subpar. His stonethrower hit his unit. My bird lost 2 wounds. A couple elves got plonked.

Turn 3
sword masters charge ironbreakers. No challanges. Spears charge dwarf warriors. Eagle charges stonethrower. Silver helms move on and move to rear charge dwarf lines at... What I think is over charge range of the trollslayers..... Dire music should start playing here πŸ˜‚

Magic. More dwarfs die. This is where I start slamming magic everywhere aiming for half unit points. I firewall hoping to scare off a flank charge on the swordmasters... This didn't work πŸ˜‚

Shooting.
Archers plink runsemith dwarfs bolthrower hits quarralers.

Combat.... This is where the grind begins I'm not going to go into much here apart from high lights 2/4 elves and dwarves die in each round of combat. No one breaks. This happens too the end of turn of turn 5 and end of game. Apart from the Eagle... It went poof after causing no damage... Disrupted 2 turns of thunderer and quarralers shooting though.

Opp turn 3...
I can't guess inches and he is just in to charge his trollslayers into silver helms. They die in Comabt no wounds returned. Rest of the battle is a slow grind. Archers kill troll slayers. Smasters kill ironbreakers unit off and I kill his Quarls and thunds with magic/shooting. Rest is a slow slog and he concedes very gracefully.
Promised another battle with less magic if he wants to play again!
But first battle in 14 years and a win!
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: 6th Edition battle Blog... Bit of a mess 😂

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

Ariastes wrote: ↑Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:50 pmHello!
Welcome Ariastes.

:)
Ariastes wrote: ↑Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:50 pm Posted my first topic post in 8th edition. However I found out that the group I'd Joined on Tuesday, in Bristol plays 6th edition typically. So... What happened next goes here I guess
We've a fair bit of 6th edition content under the 8th edition forum so we can move this if you'd like? Your list looks pretty decent to me. Not the usual cavalry-heavy roster but as mentioned your magic is very good. The big unit of Swordmasters is interesting and slightly unusual for 6th I feel.
Ariastes wrote: ↑Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:50 pm Before I say anything about the battle I will straight up say opp was very unlucky in shooting and I was crazy lucky in my magic.
Jose Raul Capablanca wrote:A good player is always lucky.
Ariastes wrote: ↑Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:50 pm Shooting. The bolthrower plinked 6 shots a turn and rolled mostly 3s or below... This is where my bad luck was archers killed organ gunner turn one.
If you'd brought lots of Archers and RBT's then I guess you keep casting Curse of Arrow Attraction and hope to get more from shooting. Not the key part of your list though.
Ariastes wrote: ↑Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:50 pm He marched forwards aggressively
He's got his war machines but it sounds like your magic really cursed him with itchy feet.
Ariastes wrote: ↑Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:50 pm sword masters charge ironbreakers.
Tough combat, Ironbreakers are good in 6th because of that 2+ Armour Save. You brought lots of Swordmasters though! It sounds like your magic kept wearing him down to where his units in general couldn't resist in combat.
Ariastes wrote: ↑Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:50 pm Promised another battle with less magic if he wants to play again!
But first battle in 14 years and a win!
Good idea and well played!
Ariastes

#3 Post by Ariastes »

Thanks Spell archer
This was an impromptu list and may end up being something more substantial depending on how much 6th edition I end up playing.

Was honestly a joy to fight this Dwarf Army, gorgeously painted and the models were solely the old original individual metal models.

Yeah happy for it to be moved 😊
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#4 Post by SpellArcher »

Ariastes wrote: ↑Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:43 amWas honestly a joy to fight this Dwarf Army, gorgeously painted and the models were solely the old original individual metal models.
It does sound like a pleasure.
Ariastes wrote: ↑Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:43 amYeah happy for it to be moved
Done!
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#5 Post by Prince of Spires »

Ariastes wrote: ↑Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:43 am Was honestly a joy to fight this Dwarf Army, gorgeously painted and the models were solely the old original individual metal models.
That sounds like an amazing sight. Some of those older models look stunning, and a whole army full of them is great. That and having a nice opponent to play with is what the game is about for me :)

I think I've only ever played 1 game of 6th edition. But from what I remember, HE have a tough time in 6th, especially if games get more competitive. Also, you miss out on some of the fun choices which were added in 7th or 8th edition. Things like the dragon mage, the Tiranoc chariot units, the Lion chariot etc, are perhaps not the most competitive options, but they are fun. Still, having a group which is active and lets you get regular games in trumps everything else :)

Let us know how your list develops.
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.