Tiranocii Drag race list

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Ariastes

Tiranocii Drag race list

#1 Post by Ariastes »

Afternoon all. This is my first time posting on here after a long time away from the hobby. I had planned on returning to fantasy earlier but then Endtimes happened. Anyway found a club and want to test out a list fun thematic list idea. It's by no means well balanced but if anyone can point out anything fun and thematic to add I'd love to hear from you.

Also if anyone can see a way to get another Tiranoc Chariot in there please tell me. 9 isn't enough :lol:
LORD
Prince h armour, ogre blade, shield of merwym Talisman of Protection. On Tiranoc Chariot. 316 pts

HEROS
Noble Armour of Destiny, shield, BSB. On Tiranoc Chariot. 217 pts

Mage level 2 powers tone and ring of fury. Tiranoc Chariot 235 pts

CORE
5 reavers Bows 95pts
5 reavers Bows 95 pts
10 Archers 100 pts
28 spearmen full command, gleaming pennant 287

SPECIAL
3 tiranoc chariots 210 pts
3 tiranoc chariots 210 pts

RARE
2 Eagle claw bolt throwers 140
2 Great eagles. 100
Total 2000pts

As I said this is not a balanced army and aims to be more thematic. But if anyone can point out any glaring weaknesses that can be fixed in a vaguely Thematic way that would be amazing.
Minion X

Re: Tiranocii Drag race list

#2 Post by Minion X »

The heroes can have lances and spears and get the strength bonus when charging since they are mounted models. The Shield of the Merwyrm on the other hand will only provide a parry save if the Prince loses his chariot and is forced to fight on foot. For example, you could give him something like the Talisman of Preservation and the Star Lance for roughy the same points as the Ogre Blade, Talisman of Protection and Shield of the Merwyrm, and see if you could find the points to give him a shield, possibly the Enchanted Shield or Charmed Shield, for extra protection against shooting and in the first turn of close combat, and a halberd or great weapon for additional Strength in the second round of close combat. Potion of Foolhardiness is very useful on mounted heroes both for the extra attack and for Immune to Psychology so you don't have to worry about failing a Fear test at the wrong time.
Note that there is a small but real risk of Talisman of Preservation being stolen from you when you play Ogre Kingdoms, so you could switch the Armour of Destiny from your Battle Standard Bearer to the General and give the former the Talisman of Preservation instead and have five points left for a magic shield or potion.
Also, Skycutters would perhaps be even more thematic than normal bolt throwers. Musicians are a good investment in Fast Cavalry units like Reavers since they give +1 Ld when Rallying, and Fast Cavalry can act normally when rallying from a Flee! charge reaction. Another interesting trick with units like Reavers is to have six of them and give them a Champion. If they are charged by a lone character, say on a Monster or Monstrous mount, the Champion can challenge him and the unit will still be Steadfast and take their Break test on their unmodified Leadership since they have more ranks of five than a lone model, which gives you a good chance of holding and counter-charging in your turn.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#3 Post by Prince of Spires »

That definitely looks like a fun list!

A few things you can do to improve your list (in my opinion at least).

I would:
- drop the shield of merwym on the lord. He doesn't get the parry save when mounted (parry is when on foot only), which basically makes it a regular shield. I'd probably change him to star lance (instead of ogre blade), dragon helm, shield, heavy armour, talisman of preservation.
- on the mage, change the powerstone to the scroll. Stopping a crucial spell is usually better than getting a few more powerdice. Especially on a level 2
- I would drop the bows on the reavers. The 5 shots per unit don't add all that much, and the unit is there to die while blocking others.
- I would drop the spearmen and change them to archers. More shooting benefits your list more than the spearmen. Also, in combat they perform very similar anyway.
- Lastly, try to reduce your core until you are closer to 500pts. Quick math give you 577 pts in core, while you only need 500. That's 1 extra tiranoc chariot already.
- Special units are fine.
- I would drop the eagles. You already have 2 redirectors in the reavers in core. You don't need another 2 at 2000pts. This gives you another 100pts to play with, which is another tiranoc. You could probably play around with the equipment on the characters to get enough points for a 3rd chariot, for another unit of 3, but otherwise you can just have a unit of 2.
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Ariastes

#4 Post by Ariastes »

Thanks so much for the responses!
Unfortunately found out the group I've joined typically plays 6th edition so much less Chariot fun available
I'm going to carry this list on hopefully I can convince some people to play 8th or WAP instead.

Will also maybe set up another topic elsewhere to describe what's happening with my 6th edition fun. Played my first game against dwarfs and won with lotsss of magic. Any recommendations on where on Ulthuan. Net to open that Topic?

Yeah scrapping excess core and unneccesery bows could probably get me very close to at least two more chariots.

I'm unsure which as an army wide effect is more important tbh an extra two on ldrship checks or a reroll so which do I want to protect more General or BSB.

I had no idea about the parry being on foot only tbh!
And really like the idea of archers instead of spearmen could easily squeeze a lot of shots. And I enjoy painting those units too.

I turned my nose up at the star lance initially but this list wins on the charge. So why pay for strength every round? If I don't charge I've lost anyway 😂

Skycutters are special I'm at 410 special on a 2k list can't have 😭 if I can get 2.5k list going then maybe... But it would cut into another tiranoc chariot unit 😂

You maybe right on the eagles but feels weird with no birds 😂

With the mage I am more or less going in just to protect from a heavy magic phase aren't I. So a scroll probably is better.

I really like that Reavers tip! I was unaware that Champions could challenge!
Thanks Minionx and Prince of Spires 😊
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#5 Post by Prince of Spires »

Ariastes wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:30 pm I'm unsure which as an army wide effect is more important tbh an extra two on ldrship checks or a reroll so which do I want to protect more General or BSB.
definitely the BSB. HE have universally high LD, which makes the difference between LD8 and LD 10 not that big. On the other hand, getting a reroll on that LD8 is golden.
Ariastes wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:30 pm I turned my nose up at the star lance initially but this list wins on the charge. So why pay for strength every round? If I don't charge I've lost anyway 😂
The star lance is already great for the cost with +3S and no armour saves allowed. It gets even better though. It's written in such a way that it allows you to switch to a different weapon on a turn you don't charge. So you can bring the Star Lance and a Great Weapon, and get the +3S and ASF on the turn you charge, and then drop down to +2S (and no more ASF because of the great weapon) the next turns. It's a lot cheaper than the Giant Blade.
Ariastes wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:30 pm Skycutters are special I'm at 410 special on a 2k list can't have if I can get 2.5k list going then maybe... But it would cut into another tiranoc chariot unit
I've got more good news for you :)

You're allowed to bring up to 50% points in special, so you've got 1000 pts in a 2k points list to play with. It's rare which is 25% max.

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
MasterOfNone

#6 Post by MasterOfNone »

Prince of Spires wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:44 am The star lance is already great for the cost with +3S and no armour saves allowed. It gets even better though. It's written in such a way that it allows you to switch to a different weapon on a turn you don't charge. So you can bring the Star Lance and a Great Weapon, and get the +3S and ASF on the turn you charge, and then drop down to +2S (and no more ASF because of the great weapon) the next turns. It's a lot cheaper than the Giant Blade.
That's interesting, I never noticed it, perhaps distracted by the "character" issue that forbids the DP's champion from using it.
But "can only be used in a turn in which the bearer makes a successful charge" means that at any time other than when making a successful charge, the user should have access to some other weapon, as you said...
I have to say this makes it supper attractive.
Prince of Spires wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:44 am I've got more good news for you :)

You're allowed to bring up to 50% points in special, so you've got 1000 pts in a 2k points list to play with. It's rare which is 25% max.
The bad news is that Skycutters cost a fortune when you can find one to buy...
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#7 Post by Prince of Spires »

MasterOfNone wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:14 pm The bad news is that Skycutters cost a fortune when you can find one to buy...
Ah yes, there is that problem.

You could always auction off your first-born child. I've been given to understand demons of chaos are fond of them... ;)

Just keep your eyes open. Every now and then you come across a deal from someone who doesn't know what they're selling and who want to get rid of it quickly.

Check out my plog

Minion X

#8 Post by Minion X »

It's not that difficult to whip up a skycutter of your own. I made a 90s skycutter using a 5E metal Tiranoc Chariot and an old metal Great Eagle.
MasterOfNone

#9 Post by MasterOfNone »

Minion X wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:45 pm It's not that difficult to whip up a skycutter of your own. I made a 90s skycutter using a 5E metal Tiranoc Chariot and an old metal Great Eagle.
It's great when people come up with ingenious ideas and skillful conversions! =D>
Would love to see your creation.
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
Minion X

#10 Post by Minion X »

MasterOfNone wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:48 am
Would love to see your creation.
Unfortunately, it's currenty disassembled since I primed it black and had to strip it. Now that I think about it, the eagle might have ended up as the steed of a Champion of Tzeentch during my last bout of destructive creativity.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#11 Post by SpellArcher »

Minion X wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:19 pm Now that I think about it, the eagle might have ended up as the steed of a Champion of Tzeentch during my last bout of destructive creativity.
I'm sure he's enjoying it.

:)