1500 pts HE tournament list (8ed)

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Jasker

1500 pts HE tournament list (8ed)

#1 Post by Jasker »

Hello!

I will be attending a 1500 pts tournament (pure 8ed, no restricts). I guess, there will be mixed meta with many HE and many opponents will be ready for us.

Current draft:

Archmage, General, Lore of High magic, Lvl 4, Dispell scroll, Khaine's Ring of Fury, Talisman of Preservation, Elven steed

Noble BSB, Dragon Armour, Enchanted Shield, Star Lance, Potion of Foolhardiness, barbed Elven steed

27 Archers, musician
5 reaver knights, spears + bows

10 Dragon princes, FCG, Banner of the World Dragon

RBT
RBT
RBT
Great Eagle

Ususally i prefer more infantry units, but there were 2 experienced HE players with footslogging armies at recent 1000 pts tournament, both did not well. Can i avoid their problems with more mobility and additional protection from lore attribute? Or is it too risky to put so many eggs in one basket ?
Last edited by Jasker on Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: 1500 pts HE tournament list (8ed)

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

Welcome Jasker.

:)

I really like your list, shooting is very effective at lower points totals and the Eagle and Reavers can redirect. Yes the bus is committal but it’s really well protected and mobile as you say. I’d be tempted to drop Star Lance for Ogre Blade so the BSB is still a threat when he hasn’t charged. More importantly I’d drop Book of Hoeth for a Dispel Scroll. This is clutch when a foe 6-dices Dwellers for example.
Seredain
The Cavalry Prince

#3 Post by Seredain »

Hi Jasker,

Great list! Amazing ranged power at these points, great manoeuvrability and great punch. You’ll have a great ability to stand off and dominate enemy armies at ranged or quickly close in where the former looks like a losing strategy. Infantry core lists at these points might find themselves more commonly falling into the gap between those two things.

Sadly, I think SA is right that a scroll is probably more of a priority than the Book of Hoeth. The good news is: this allows you to take Ring of Khaine’s Fury which will give you a 1-dice magic missile cast which won’t break your concentration. It’s another good way of eking some more juice out of your power dice and gives you some cheap chaff removal without surrendering a valuable spell slot. Of course you’ll need, mostly, spells you can cast in combat for your bus, and the ring allows you to have this cake and eat it too.

I’m torn on the Star Lance vs Ogre Blade in this instance. SA’s right that the blade will give you sustained DPS. But the Lance is cheaper, Str 7 no AS is a different universe of power on the charge, and I have a feeling that this bus is going to suck at sustained combat with or without those 3 attacks from the BSB. So maybe you’re right to go big or go home, here. Take the 5 points you saved from the Book, put Potion of Foolhardiness on the Star Lance BSB, and charge forth with courage in your heart!

Reckon I’d like to give this list a go.

Cheers,

S
The Cavalry Prince - List Design, Tactics, Battle Reports

http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=33584
Jasker

#4 Post by Jasker »

Thanks ofr answers! I''ll play with dwarfs this weekend, thinking about book-> scroll+ring+ something, maybe will try not to forget about potion ...
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#5 Post by SpellArcher »

Jasker wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:15 pm I''ll play with dwarfs this weekend
They like their runes so your World Dragon bus should get some joy, if you can avoid a grind against Hammerers or such.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#6 Post by Prince of Spires »

I'm not convinced by the bows on the reavers (except if you need them to get to the core points needed). I don't think those 5 S3 shots add anything.

I think the main issue for infantry at 1500 pts is that units tend to be small and get shot to pieces fast (even more so at 1000 pts). This should fix that, with the 2+ armor save and the high speed. Also, don't forget the 6+ ward of the DP's (I usually do...). It should work nicely with the High Magic lore attribute.

I agree that a scroll is probably a good idea. If you were to take a Loremaster then I would go for the Book, simply because it's such a strong combination, especially at 1500pts. But with the current army and on a Archmage the scroll is probably a better choice.
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
TyrrenAzureblade

#7 Post by TyrrenAzureblade »

Looking forward to seeing how you did this weekend. I have such a hard time putting together a High Elf list at 2k, I can't imagine having to shave 500 points off and making it competitive.
Jasker

#8 Post by Jasker »

Prince of Spires wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:33 am I'm not convinced by the bows on the reavers (except if you need them to get to the core points needed). I don't think those 5 S3 shots add anything.
I play with minimum core points, so losing these 5 s3 shots only gets me 1 additional archer, not worth it.

TyrrenAzureblade wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:10 pm Looking forward to seeing how you did this weekend.
It was a disaster, dwarves shot out everything but bus-with-banner, i made a wrong charge and that was enough.

Looked like the Ogre blade could give me a chance, when i stacked in long combat, but I should learn to avoid such situation. Need more practice with this list.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#9 Post by SpellArcher »

Jasker wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:04 am It was a disaster, dwarves shot out everything
Organ Guns?
Jasker

#10 Post by Jasker »

SpellArcher wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:05 pm Organ Guns?
No, grudge thrower did most damage.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#11 Post by SpellArcher »

Jasker wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:51 pm No, grudge thrower did most damage.
Your firepower is pretty respectable Jasker, he must have been quite geared up to outshoot you.