OnePageRules plays like Warhammer 8th, you should try it

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Eirik

OnePageRules plays like Warhammer 8th, you should try it

#1 Post by Eirik »

One page rules does what it says on the tin.
It's a free ruleset you can use your warhammer minis with that fits on a page (double sided).

Rules
Army Lists
Longer-form rulebook with more depth

I played a lot less Warhammer when Age of Sigmar launched. Like many others I enjoyed it, thought it was a good game, but recognized that it wasn't Warhammer Fantasy.
It was sad to see the forum drop off in traffic around that time. Ulthuan was one of the best communities on the web back when forums were in their golden age.

Nothing was stopping us from playing 8th, but I think many did.
Part of what had kept us engaged was hope for the future of the game, speculating about the next book, etc. When AoS happened it was over, and I think many left because of other games, or just life.

I played a few games using OPR lately, and it definitely scratches that itch. It offers the streamlining we got with AoS, but where AoS plays like 40k, OPR plays like Fantasy:

Pros
  • Rules for all your GW minis (and some others)
  • Smash huge ranked armies against each other and pull off fistfuls of casualties per round
  • Play 1500pts in an hour
  • Solid strategy game that is won in the movement phase
  • No unkillable lords
  • Games aren't decided by a single IF spell
  • Don't lose just because your list doesn't counter some weird build
Cons
  • Simplification reduces army uniqueness
  • Much less depth for magic
  • You can't make your lord unkillable
  • You can't win the game with a single IF spell
I know there are many competitors to WF and this is just one more, but I highly recommend giving it a shot. Both games I played took about an hour, but I didn't feel like I had played less Warhammer than in a 3hr WHFB match with the same list. Instead, I felt like I was spending more time playing and less waiting or rerolling. A big part is the simplified mechanics. You roll to hit, your opponent rolls defense, remove casualties. In 8th, 20 arrows meant a ton of rolling for 1-2 wounds. In OPR it means 2 rolls and probably 5-10 wounds. Turns play faster and remove more models.

The other great thing is the alternating unit activation. I make my archers fire. Then my opponent charges with his knights and resolves the combat. Then I charge those knights with some Swordmasters and resolve that combat. Then he advances his spears while the mage with them casts a spell. You don't have to wait for your opponent's entire turn doing nothing. You don't have to skip shooting just because all the targets are engaged in a combat that isn't happening yet. The order you activate units in is extremely important and forces you to prioritize.

Units cap at 20 models, so there's no deathstars. Magic is less complex, but far better than AoS in my opinion. Spell effects are meaningful but not broken. Offensive spells are 12'' so positioning is very important. The weapons are great; spears are strong (the most expensive option on our basic warriors!) Cavalry is great since combat is immediately resolved, your knights don't just get stuck forever. They can hit and run (like, you know, cavalry). Fidgeting with bases and contact is unimportant because the front two ranks always attack and all combats are between two units.

Oh, and there's no lord/hero/core/special/rare.

So try it out if you like. Should take 5 minutes to learn if you play 8th. You might find yourself missing the magic phase, but lately I'm finding it hard to make time for a 3hr Warhammer match when I can fit one or two of these into my schedule with no trouble.
Ah, Floorhammer. A time honored tradition. Sadly, I no longer play since my brother tripped and right-angled the spears of a 15-man regiment.
-Original Dragon Prince, July 2011
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: OnePageRules plays like Warhammer 8th, you should try it

#2 Post by Prince of Spires »

They read like pretty simple and fun rules. Definitely sort of like Warhammer, but without all the finicky details. I can imagine how a battle with these rules would go pretty fast.

Thanks for sharing.
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#3 Post by Elithmar »

...but it's two pages! :lol:

Does look quite good though. What AoS should have been. In general I'm in favour of rationalisation.
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor
Eirik

#4 Post by Eirik »

Well after realizing there was no option for a warrior-mage unit in the High Elf roster for this book I posted on the forum. Within a week the creator had updated with an option that essentially allows loremasters and dragonmages.

So the support is really solid. I'll try to post a battle report soon.
Ah, Floorhammer. A time honored tradition. Sadly, I no longer play since my brother tripped and right-angled the spears of a 15-man regiment.
-Original Dragon Prince, July 2011
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#5 Post by Prince of Spires »

That kind of support is great. It really helps feel connected to the game if you see your suggestions taken seriously.

Looking forward to the battle report.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.