Great cannons

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
dolpnkn

Great cannons

#1 Post by dolpnkn »

How many great cannons are allowed in a 2500 point roster
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: Great cannons

#2 Post by Prince of Spires »

A great cannon is a special unit, so max 3 until you get to 3.000 points. Above 3.000 points you can take 6 max.

I think they're 120pts each, so you can almost always fit 3 in your list points wise (in any list over 750 pts pretty much), though you might not make a lot of friends if you take 3 in a 1.000 pts list.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
dolpnkn

#3 Post by dolpnkn »

Thanks. I haven't played in 6 years don't remember all the rules
1) how much artillery can you have in a 2500 point empire list.
2) if I use iron curse icon against a cannon do I roll each model separately for each day e or see how many are hit and roll all together
3)walk between worlds does it release a fanatic when you get in range but can't hit you
4)and lastly I'm play 2 games 2500 point wood elf vs empire and high elf vs orcs both have minimal magic I have lv 4 and a sister unit in wood and lv 4 and 2 in high what are the best pores to use against them thanks for the help
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#4 Post by SpellArcher »

Hi dolpnkn
dolpnkn wrote:1) how much artillery can you have in a 2500 point empire list.
Potentially three Great Cannon and three Mortars from Special. Notionally he could bring two each of Helblaster, Rockets & Steam Tank from Rare but those six pieces won’t fit inside a 625pts Rare allowance. In general Mortars and Rockets are considered too random for a competitive list. Helblasters can be dangerous but usually only with an Engineer.
dolpnkn wrote:2) if I use iron curse icon against a cannon do I roll each model separately for each day e or see how many are hit and roll all together
It usually won’t matter but I guess technically you should roll each save separately, perhaps because with Monstrous troops (Treekin) for example, a successful save stops the cannonball going further.
dolpnkn wrote:3)walk between worlds does it release a fanatic when you get in range but can't hit you
I’d say yes. O&G book pg 53 says the Fanatics are triggered as soon as enemy are within 8” so this happens during HE magic phase, inside which the WBW unit is Ethereal (per HE book pg 62) so takes no damage.
dolpnkn wrote:4)and lastly I'm play 2 games 2500 point wood elf vs empire and high elf vs orcs both have minimal magic I have lv 4 and a sister unit in wood and lv 4 and 2 in high what are the best pores to use against them thanks for the help
Depends what Empire guy is bringing. I guess in general a Lore like Shadow which buffs the WE shooting makes sense but if you expect plenty of Knights, Demigryphs, Steam Tanks then Metal might be good. Against O&G I think HE’s are best off just bringing what complements their own list. High Magic is probably a safe bet though Fire could be good on the lvl 2 to deal with Trolls and all those wandering Impact Hits.

Note: first paragraph edited.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#5 Post by Prince of Spires »

I agree with SA.

A few extra remarks:
1: empire in general are a very versatile army book if they go for a "normal" level list. So you could see a lot of artillery or none at all. I would personally expect 2 or 3 artillery pieces in a non-competitive empire list.

3: correct. The fanatic "doesn't care" if it can wound the model or not. All that matters is that something gets in range. Same with other ethereal troops, they're very useful for taking care of fanatics.

4: lores of magic in general are very dependent on your list and your personality. But shadow is usually a good choice, high magic can be decent for a HE list, metal is nice against armoured stuff, but is usually better on a lvl 2
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.