HE 2500pts all comers list

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Sweden

HE 2500pts all comers list

#1 Post by Sweden »

Hello fellow elf players!

Like so many others I've been a long time stalker here, but recently I felt like sharing my list that I've been playing since the start of 8th ed.
It have worked well for me in most cases, but I wanted to hear your thoughts on the list.

Here's the list:

LORDS

Archmage lvl. 4 (Shadow)

HEROES

Mage lvl.2 (Beast or High usually)
Dispel scroll

Noble BSB
Great weapon
Armour of caledor

CORE

30x Spears FC
Gleaming pennant

12x archers

12x Archers

5x Ellyrion reavers

SPECIAL

28x White Lions FC
27x Phoenix Guard FC (BSB here)
5x Dragon princes

RARE

2x Eagles
1x Frost Phoenix
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: HE 2500pts all comers list

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

Welcome Sweden!

:)

It’s a good list. With the threat of Mindrazor from Shadow it’s got three blocks that are dangerous in combat, it’s got good magic some redirectors and a Frostheart. It might struggle against a gunline because M5 is not that fast or against an enemy with lots of fliers that it could struggle to pin down.

It might be an idea to replace the Phoenix (and one Eagle) with four RBT. This stops enemies flying around with impunity. It also lets you outshoot more opponents, meaning they have to come to your blocks. A unit with The Withering on it is in for a bad time vs four RBT. The Frostheart is good but I feel the RBT are a better fit here.

I would put World Dragon on the Lions, it’ll make them practically immune to half the stuff they care about. I’d take an Arcane Item on the Archmage, probably Book of Hoeth though there’s a case for Earthing Rod with Shadow’s love of dice. Razor Standard on PG is almost a standard pick to give them more bite vs armour. I’d pay for these by dropping the DP’s (in my experience they’re not that good) or possibly some elite infantry from each block.
Sweden

#3 Post by Sweden »

Thank you Spellarcher for your comment! I will try the suggestions you gave me as soon as I can, probabley next week.

Last week I played a 3k game against Skaven. It was a really fun game alot of back and forth but in the end the rats snatched the victory.
The dreaded 13th killed 18 WL in the first magic phase and his 50 plague monks with plague furnace killed both my whittled down PG, spears and wounded frostie in turn 5.
After that....well, GG.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#4 Post by Prince of Spires »

Sounds like a tough battle. Skaven are one of the harder opponents for HE to face. They usually don't care about ASF, since they have the bodies to absorb most of the damage. And usually one of the weaknesses of Skaven is that they don't have a lot of high S attack, but you don't really need those against elves. Add in dreaded 13th and a plague furnace and you've got a great list to deal with HE.

Not sure if there's much you can do against the plague furnace. The only downside is frenzy I think, so you can redirect it a couple of turns and make it get in the way of some of the Skaven army. if you actually want to take it down you either need to reduce the monks to manageable numbers and / or attack it from multiple sides with overwhelming force. If you've got high magic, then convocation and tempest are pretty good options I think.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#5 Post by SpellArcher »

Sweden wrote:Thank you Spellarcher for your comment! I will try the suggestions you gave me as soon as I can, probabley next week.
You’re welcome Sweden, fingers crossed!

:)
Prince of Spires wrote:Skaven are one of the harder opponents for HE to face.
I largely agree. They are really good at killing Infantry and this list depends on it’s Infantry.