[8th] Saphery 2000 army list

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Erekose

[8th] Saphery 2000 army list

#1 Post by Erekose »

There is my list of Saphery kingdom:

Archmage Lore of life, Lvl 4
Loremaster of Hoeth, Book of Hoeth

15 Archers
15 Archers
30 Separmen with full command and War Banner
5 Ellyrian Reavers Bow and Spear

30 Swordmasters of Hoeth with full command and Banner of the World Dragon
RBT
RBT
RBT
Great Eagle
Great Eagle
CaledorRises

Re: [8th] Saphery 2000 army list

#2 Post by CaledorRises »

This list I'm a bit less favorable of. Your wizards don't have ward saves, so will struggle to live long if they are in combat at all or if they are targeted by enemy magic. The Archmage has no save at all and the Loremaster just has a 5+ armor. They could die quite quickly. Also, as much as I love Swordmasters, I think you need to have High Magic supporting them. BotWD will help them stay alive a huge amount, but when they face something like a standard Empire gunline they will be cut to pieces as the Empire shooting is all non-magical. Skaven shooting will have a fit with the unit, though! Lore of Life could help keep the Swordmasters alive, but I'd go for High Magic first. The list is also slow again, but this time the Swordmasters have to attack, they don't have the tanking power of Phoenix Guard, so they cannot wait for the enemy to come to them. Your list could have trouble attacking with Swordmasters because you don't have any cavalry to back up the advance and divide the enemy's attention, they'll focus everything at those Swordmasters because the Spearmen support can easily be dealt with.

Your list also doesn't have a BSB or Dispel Scroll. This makes it much less reliable, which is usually not great. I'd recommend trying to get the BSB definitely, then the scroll as a likely add as well.

Finally, though I've considered using the Loremaster/Archmage combo, I'm not sure it's the best idea. You've got a massive 12 spells there, but no magic phase will let you use all of those, your best magic phase you might attempt 5 spells, and that's only on something like a 12 dice phase. More commonly you'll be trying to cast ~3 spells per turn, 4 if you're lucky. That means that you just don't have enough power dice to get your points back on that massive investment in magic. There could be turns where your Archmage isn't casting anything, and for a 200+ point Lord you cannot have that.

I'd suggest definitely dropping either the Archmage or the Loremaster and getting a BSB, then trying to get something fast to support the attack of the Swordmasters. If you run High Magic on the Archmage and drop the Loremaster you may be able to hold the line with the Swordmasters and not be forced to attack, but that strategy is a bit risky as it relies on the Archmage casting spells to keep the Swordmasters from dying.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#3 Post by Prince of Spires »

I agree with most points from CR. A loremaster and an archmage at 2000pts is overkill. Even at higher points levels it's probably not worth it. If you are going for a big block of SM then I would suggest the archmage with high magic. If you get some spells cast then you add a lot to their survivability. Remember they have a 6+ ward vs normal shooting. And I've seen people add the ironcurse icon to them as well. When combined they would have a 2+ ward against any magical shooting (most things skaven), and a 6+ ward against any other type of shooting which gets better with each spell the archmage casts. That's a pretty durable unit (until it gets into combat, then it's just average).

I would also reduce the number of spears and archers and drop the bows on the reavers until you have about 500pts in core. The reavers don't need bows, they will hardly ever kill anything with them and they are best used to redirect other units (and probably die in the process0. You want them cheap :) If you bring reavers then at 2000pts you can also drop a great eagle, since 2 redirectors should be sufficient at this points level.

With the points this frees up, get some other fun toys from the special or rare selection. You should have enough for a lion chariot for instance, which is lots of fun (even if it's not the strongest option in the list). But a medium sized unit of dragon princes could work as well of course.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Erekose

#4 Post by Erekose »

Prince of Spires wrote:I agree with most points from CR. A loremaster and an archmage at 2000pts is overkill. Even at higher points levels it's probably not worth it. If you are going for a big block of SM then I would suggest the archmage with high magic. If you get some spells cast then you add a lot to their survivability. Remember they have a 6+ ward vs normal shooting. And I've seen people add the ironcurse icon to them as well. When combined they would have a 2+ ward against any magical shooting (most things skaven), and a 6+ ward against any other type of shooting which gets better with each spell the archmage casts. That's a pretty durable unit (until it gets into combat, then it's just average).

I would also reduce the number of spears and archers and drop the bows on the reavers until you have about 500pts in core. The reavers don't need bows, they will hardly ever kill anything with them and they are best used to redirect other units (and probably die in the process0. You want them cheap :) If you bring reavers then at 2000pts you can also drop a great eagle, since 2 redirectors should be sufficient at this points level.

With the points this frees up, get some other fun toys from the special or rare selection. You should have enough for a lion chariot for instance, which is lots of fun (even if it's not the strongest option in the list). But a medium sized unit of dragon princes could work as well of course.

Rod

There is a thematic list, maybe use the high magic lore on archmage ^^. This list is the end of campaing with four friends, we start on 500 points and add 250 every month. The principal point is paint our armies :)