High Elves 2000 points army [8th edition]

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Erekose

High Elves 2000 points army [8th edition]

#1 Post by Erekose »

Hello!

Im from Spain.
Recently i've come to play this game and this is the list what i used. My two principal rivals are Skavens and Empire.

Archmage, Lore of Life, Lvl 4, Book of Hoeth and Talisman of Preservation

Mage, High Magic, Lvl 2, Khaine's Ring of Fury and Dispel Scroll
Noble BSB, Dragon Armour, Enchanted Shield and Ogre Blade

15 Archers
15 Archers
30 Spearmen with full command and War Banner

23 Phoenix Guard with full command and Razor Standard
RBT
RBT
RBT
Great Eagle with Shredding Talons
Great Eagle with Shredding Talons

This is my list, it works decently ^^. What's your opinion?

Regards
CaledorRises

Re: High Elves 2000 points army [8th edition]

#2 Post by CaledorRises »

I like the list quite a bit, you've got a very strong magic phase for 2000 points and that will be very useful. I might suggest Lore of Shadow on the Archmage, Shadow was almost made with Elves in mind and compliments them wonderfully. Mindrazor in particular is amazing. The list as a whole is quite slow, but you've got enough shooting to make most opponents come to you, so the speed isn't really an issue. The Phoenix Guard with the Razor Banner and a High Magic wizard are an amazing unit to center the army around. I don't think the Eagle need Shredding Talons, they are mainly there as chaff and redirectors, so those points might be better spent somewhere else. My only concern about the list is that outside of the bolt throwers your list's highest strength is S4. That makes you highly reliant on the Bolt Throwers to kill any and all heavily armored and T6+ targets that you might face. An opponent will know this and you could have trouble if they take out your Bolt Throwers quickly. I think your list could have a very tough time against an Empire Knight list, and a Skaven list that brings multiple Abombs and Doomwheels could cause you trouble as well. RBTs are very good, though, so I would expect this list to do well as an all-comers list, there just might be some specific enemy army builds you have trouble with.

One quick note, the Spearmen cannot take the War Banner. They can only take a 25pt banner and the War Banner is 35 pts.

8th Edition is a great game and it's good that more people are playing! Keep the hobby alive!
Erekose

#3 Post by Erekose »

CaledorRises wrote:I like the list quite a bit, you've got a very strong magic phase for 2000 points and that will be very useful. I might suggest Lore of Shadow on the Archmage, Shadow was almost made with Elves in mind and compliments them wonderfully. Mindrazor in particular is amazing. The list as a whole is quite slow, but you've got enough shooting to make most opponents come to you, so the speed isn't really an issue. The Phoenix Guard with the Razor Banner and a High Magic wizard are an amazing unit to center the army around. I don't think the Eagle need Shredding Talons, they are mainly there as chaff and redirectors, so those points might be better spent somewhere else. My only concern about the list is that outside of the bolt throwers your list's highest strength is S4. That makes you highly reliant on the Bolt Throwers to kill any and all heavily armored and T6+ targets that you might face. An opponent will know this and you could have trouble if they take out your Bolt Throwers quickly. I think your list could have a very tough time against an Empire Knight list, and a Skaven list that brings multiple Abombs and Doomwheels could cause you trouble as well. RBTs are very good, though, so I would expect this list to do well as an all-comers list, there just might be some specific enemy army builds you have trouble with.

One quick note, the Spearmen cannot take the War Banner. They can only take a 25pt banner and the War Banner is 35 pts.

8th Edition is a great game and it's good that more people are playing! Keep the hobby alive!

Thank you!!!
I've made the list with battlescribe and not mark an error on spearmen. But you are right.

Maybe that 35 points and the 10 points of the eagles and other spearmen give me enought points for a 3rd eagle ^^
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#4 Post by Prince of Spires »

Erekose wrote:Maybe that 35 points and the 10 points of the eagles and other spearmen give me enought points for a 3rd eagle ^^
You can only take two eagles though, since they're rare (RBT have an exception on this rule).

It's a nice list that should play fairly reliably. If you want to optimize it you could look at the following options (assuming you have the models available of course);
- reduce the number of spearmen and archers and replace them with a unit of elyrian reavers and aim for 500 pts in core choices. Core is there as harassment units or roadblock. For HE, the damage dealers are in special / rare. I found that 19 archers with a musician, 20 spearmen with full command and 5 reavers with a musician works well (and happens to be 500pts exactly).
- If you bring a unit of reavers you can drop 1 eagle. I think 2 redirectors at 2000pts is enough (good players can get away with even 1, but 2 is a lot safer, especially for the 50pts an eagle costs).
- I would also drop the ring of fury on the mage. With an archmage and a lvl 2 mage, you already have more spells then you can cast in a phase. No reason to add another spell in there (especially since the mage can get soul quench anyway). I would even consider dropping the lvl2 on the mage, but that depends on if you have something to spend the 35 pts on.
- As CR mentions I would consider switching lores on the archmage. I'm not sure life benefits the list a lot. Shadow and death are pretty nice against skaven and empire. But High could work against skaven and I would even consider metal on the level 2 (especially against the empire), since the signature spell is great on a low level mage against anything with armour.

If you do this, you should have 300pts to play around with (give or take a bit). Which you can use for some fun toys. A frost phoenix works great (I don't think many things can manage being in combat with a unit of PG and a frost phoenix...). But a unit of white lions adds some high S attacks to the list. You could bring some DP if you want to add some extra speed to your army. Or even a couple of chariots (though they are a bit more a fun / exotic choice).

I would personally bring a frostheart phoenix and a unit of 10 white lions (you can make this fit by dropping a couple of PG and perhaps the 2nd level on the mage). Doing this adds some speed and high S attacks to the list and gives you 3 strong blocks.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Erekose

#5 Post by Erekose »

Prince of Spires wrote:
Erekose wrote:Maybe that 35 points and the 10 points of the eagles and other spearmen give me enought points for a 3rd eagle ^^
You can only take two eagles though, since they're rare (RBT have an exception on this rule).

It's a nice list that should play fairly reliably. If you want to optimize it you could look at the following options (assuming you have the models available of course);
- reduce the number of spearmen and archers and replace them with a unit of elyrian reavers and aim for 500 pts in core choices. Core is there as harassment units or roadblock. For HE, the damage dealers are in special / rare. I found that 19 archers with a musician, 20 spearmen with full command and 5 reavers with a musician works well (and happens to be 500pts exactly).
- If you bring a unit of reavers you can drop 1 eagle. I think 2 redirectors at 2000pts is enough (good players can get away with even 1, but 2 is a lot safer, especially for the 50pts an eagle costs).
- I would also drop the ring of fury on the mage. With an archmage and a lvl 2 mage, you already have more spells then you can cast in a phase. No reason to add another spell in there (especially since the mage can get soul quench anyway). I would even consider dropping the lvl2 on the mage, but that depends on if you have something to spend the 35 pts on.
- As CR mentions I would consider switching lores on the archmage. I'm not sure life benefits the list a lot. Shadow and death are pretty nice against skaven and empire. But High could work against skaven and I would even consider metal on the level 2 (especially against the empire), since the signature spell is great on a low level mage against anything with armour.

If you do this, you should have 300pts to play around with (give or take a bit). Which you can use for some fun toys. A frost phoenix works great (I don't think many things can manage being in combat with a unit of PG and a frost phoenix...). But a unit of white lions adds some high S attacks to the list. You could bring some DP if you want to add some extra speed to your army. Or even a couple of chariots (though they are a bit more a fun / exotic choice).

I would personally bring a frostheart phoenix and a unit of 10 white lions (you can make this fit by dropping a couple of PG and perhaps the 2nd level on the mage). Doing this adds some speed and high S attacks to the list and gives you 3 strong blocks.

Rod
Thanks for your coments!!

The lvl2 high magic mage with ring is only for rise the ward save. On the spearmen he rise in one turn to 4+ ward save.

For the archmage, my oponents should to use a big horde of clanrats with bell and a big horde of plague monks with furniture,
the life magic and the dwellers below its for this units, the stone skin is good for R3 high elves...

The basic units formation is about the romantic idea of elves militia. In total i have about 14k points of elves ^^. I think about the idea of 2 PG of 25 or 1 PG and 1 WL

Regards and thanks!!!
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#6 Post by SpellArcher »

I agree with the guys that Shadow would be excellent on the Archmage. For me The Withering is the stand-out spell for a list like this. Your shooting should devastate almost anything this spell is cast on.