Dual PG units?

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Lothern

Dual PG units?

#1 Post by Lothern »

Hey. Been thinking of trying out a dual PG unit in 2k pts games, is there any thoughts on this? just grabbed up HE for 8th so not so familiar with them (friendly games, not too competative enviroment here)
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Dual PG units?

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

Hi Lothern

I feel there are two issues here. Firstly, fielding double elite blocks at 2500, let alone 2000 means you’re not fielding many fast, hard hitting units. Your combat troops are relatively slow, which makes it harder to project threat across the battlefield. The solution to this is to complement the blocks with strong ranged capability, essentially multiple RBT and/or heavy blasting magic. This encourages the enemy to come to your PG and means he can’t just dance his units around the table as he pleases.

The second issue is Strength 4 on your main combat units, it’s not enough on it’s own. One unit can take the Razor Standard to help against armour but there are other issues like Toughness 6 Monsters. Choosing a Lore like Shadow can help with spells like Mindrazor and The Withering. Another option is to take combat characters with high strength attacks to stiffen the PG.

So it should work but you might need to build carefully.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: Dual PG units?

#3 Post by Prince of Spires »

Hi!

I think that SA has summed it up really nicely in that it can be made to work but it is a case of diminishing returns.

I frequently run a unit of 15 PG with full command and the razor banner in my lists, which comes in at exactly 300 points. Especially at lower points games this unit is a powerhouse. And in higher points games it's a reliable anvil.

There are a few problems you would have to work around with 2 units of PG. The first is that there is only one razor banner. This banner changes the PG unit from a good anvil to a great main combat unit. Otherwise, S4 is not enough as the focus of your list.

Then there is also the fact that it can get expensive quite fast. At 2k points, you are looking at a minimum of 600pts invested in M5, S4 troops. Which is a big chunk of your army I think. 15 PG is really the minimum size for the unit and most people consider it too small (I think without the razor banner I agree there). So you'd probably go, as minimum size, with a unit of 20 (with the banner) and a unit of 25, which comes in at 780pts or so. With 500pts core, 250pts+ for an archmage and 150pts for a BSB, you have about 300 points left over for fun stuff to support the PG. Which is not that much (it's 4 RBT or a frostheart and a RBT for instance).

Then there is the question what you're hoping to achieve with 2 units. Can 2 PG unit of 20 and 25 models do something one unit of 30 supported by something like a frostheart or a unit of dragon princes can't do but do better?

To sum up I think it can work, especially in friendly lists, and it will work better against some armies then others. Highly mobile armies and armies that can take out any ranged threat you have will pose problems. As can magic that ignores ward saves (dreaded 13th and dwellers below can make short work of this list for instance). But getting the list right will require some thinking and there will be other, stronger choices.

let us know what list you come up with.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.