Playing Lizardmen

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Kaladin

Playing Lizardmen

#1 Post by Kaladin »

Hey Guys,

I'm currently in a campaign against a few races - Lizardmen, Wood elves, Dwarves and Tomb Kings - and so far have done fairly well. However, I'm kinda worried about playing against lizardmen, as stuff like Stegadons, Saurus, Slann, Salamanders etc. seriously give the shivers (That sort of stuff against T3...) and the player is probably the strongest out of all the others. Currently, my strategy revolves around utilising cavalry to out-maneuver, using ranged troops (Bolt throwers), the lore of shadows (but of course not against skinks). Any sort of advice on how to tackle them will be greatly appreciated, as well as advice on which elite troops should be brought (i.e. phoenix guard vs swordmasters vs white lions) and whether shadow warriors are worth taking.
RE.Lee

Re: Playing Lizardmen

#2 Post by RE.Lee »

Hi!

Lizardmen are a tricky opponent, though hardly overpowered in 8th edition.

The Skinks are a major pain - I typically run 5s of Silver Helms to counter them - they're more survivable than Reavers and still expendable enough.

Magic is a worry typically - luckily we have access to the BoHoeth to counter that somewhat, though a Dispel Scroll is also invaluable in this match up.

As for elites - I'd go for White Lions with the World Dragon. Strong enough to counter the Lizardmen heavies and their protection from ranged attacks is very useful.

Happy gaming!
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Kaladin

#3 Post by Kaladin »

Thanks for that advice RE.Lee, a large unit of white lions with BotWD would definitely give him pause... but would a BoH be more or less important than a DS? I'm running the book, but not the scroll - I really want to, but lack the points.
RE.Lee

#4 Post by RE.Lee »

Kaladin wrote:would a BoH be more or less important than a DS? I'm running the book, but not the scroll - I really want to, but lack the points.
SpellArcher might disagree but I'd stick with the Book - the Frogs often depend on a trickle magic phase more than single big spells.
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Kaladin

#5 Post by Kaladin »

Thanks
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#6 Post by Prince of Spires »

RE.Lee wrote:
Kaladin wrote:would a BoH be more or less important than a DS? I'm running the book, but not the scroll - I really want to, but lack the points.
SpellArcher might disagree but I'd stick with the Book - the Frogs often depend on a trickle magic phase more than single big spells.
In my experience if you bring one you usually wish you had actually brought the other... ;)

Indeed, SpellArcher would probably advice the scroll. The thing about the scroll is that it lets you take out a single magic phase for sure. It's the sure way to get your way one turn.

For me the main difference is that if you have an army list that's vulnerable to a big spell or a specific spell then bring the scroll. Or if you have a fast, hard hitting list then bring the scroll. The scroll will either prevent that big spell from hitting you or buy you the turn you need to get your fast stuff where it needs to be.

If you expect to be up against a trickle magic phase (as LM often have) then the book is a very powerful tool. In effect it gives you about a +2 on your dispell roll, or the equivalent to 1 or 2 extra DD. It lets you use equal numbers of DD to their PD for a lot of spells or even fewer if they roll relatively low. Still, even in this situation the scroll if a powerful tool to have at your disposal.

As for WL, PG or SM, they're a bit personal preference. WL and PG are the most common and the strongest units I think. S6 is just a lot better then S5. And with bigger units the extra attack of the SM matters a lot less (with a single rank you get double the attacks, with 3 ranks you only get 1.33 times the attacks), stubborn is great and the BotWD is almost made for them.

PG, while only S4 are by far the tankiest unit we have. They can take an amazing beating and still come out on top. A 4+ ward combined with a good WS is just great. They also have the highest hit rate of the three units, since they will reroll to hit against all non-character and non-ASF models in the game (I6 is amazing). It's not uncommon for me to have a unit of 15 hit with all their attacks. Give them the razor banner and you're good to go.

Both PG and WL are a great unit when out on its own. Stubborn for the WL means they will stay put in most cases as long as a BSB is near. The PG with LD9 and their ward mean that they can strike out on their own. Both are great to have in an otherwise fast list where the characters tend to be a bit further away.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#7 Post by SpellArcher »

Kaladin wrote:Stegadons, Saurus, Slann, Salamanders
I agree with the guys, World Dragon Lions are good against all of these.
Prince of Spires wrote:For me the main difference is that if you have an army list that's vulnerable to a big spell or a specific spell then bring the scroll.
Exactly and this is most lists in my experience. There are exceptions like MSU. Here it depends what Lore the Slann is rocking. If he brings all the signature spells I can see the Book but with Life for example I would always take the Scroll because of Dwellers.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#8 Post by Prince of Spires »

Prince of Spires wrote:For me the main difference is that if you have an army list that's vulnerable to a big spell or a specific spell then bring the scroll.
Exactly and this is most lists in my experience. There are exceptions like MSU. Here it depends what Lore the Slann is rocking. If he brings all the signature spells I can see the Book but with Life for example I would always take the Scroll because of Dwellers.[/quote]
If he brings dwellers on a Slann then you'll definitely wish you had a scroll with you at some point. It's the main threat to a BotWD WL unit (along with similar "no saves of any kind allowed big spells). And it's such a big threat that you will want to keep some dice to stop it at all cost I think. Which means that in a big-ish magic phase he will probably get the first or even the first two spells cast, simply because of the threat of dwellers. He doesn't even need to cast it the whole game. But just the option to be able to cast it is enough I think.

Still, I like the book as well (and often bring it in favour of a scroll I might add). Both because it does something in each turn, so it spreads out the defence. And it works offensively as well. It turns an average magic phase (which a single lvl 4 with no toys is) into a strong one.

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Kaladin

#9 Post by Kaladin »

Thanks for all the advice. For the record, the slaan has the high-magic-loremaster discipline, but I'll probably still run the scroll. He is also taking a lot of saurus, a stegadon and a few ripperdactyls.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#10 Post by SpellArcher »

Kaladin wrote:For the record, the slaan has the high-magic-loremaster discipline, but I'll probably still run the scroll.
Book should also be OK here because World Dragon laughs at Convocation. He might Unforge it but unless you have characters in the Lions this shouldn't be a disaster.
Kaladin wrote:ripperdactyls
Kill these with fire (or lots of shooting).

:)
Kaladin

#11 Post by Kaladin »

Jeez, how could I forget about the Banner of the World Dragon... :) :twisted:
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#12 Post by SpellArcher »

Kaladin wrote:Banner of the World Dragon
It's even better than it seems.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#13 Post by Prince of Spires »

Let us know how the game went. It's always nice to read how the theory-hammer turned out in real life. Somehow, once you give something over to dice interesting and unexpected things happen :)

Rod

Check out my plog

Kaladin

#14 Post by Kaladin »

Yup, I'll be (hopefully) playing him on Thursday, and I'll let you guys know how that turns out!
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#15 Post by SpellArcher »

Kaladin wrote:Yup, I'll be (hopefully) playing him on Thursday, and I'll let you guys know how that turns out!
Interested to hear about this.
Kaladin

#16 Post by Kaladin »

Well, I didn't end up confronting him...but I've got him in a situation where he will inevitably need to fight me so at our next meeting I will play him. Out Tomb Kings player changed to Dark Elves, which is an affront that cannot be borne! I crushed him in our battle quite convincingly.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#17 Post by SpellArcher »

Kaladin wrote:Out Tomb Kings player changed to Dark Elves, which is an affront that cannot be borne! I crushed him in our battle quite convincingly.
Bravo! There’s a moral there. What was in his army?
Kaladin wrote:at our next meeting I will play him.
Juicy!

=D>
Kaladin

#18 Post by Kaladin »

We played 1500pt armies.
Dark Elves:
Supreme Sorceress on a dark steed, Lvl. 4, tome of furion
Master on a dark steed, sea dragon cloak, Heavy armour, killy weapon
17 dreadspears
20 darkshards
15/20 black guard
5 doomfire warlocks
1 war hydra
2 reaper bolt throwers

My army was a dodgy themed list around Avelorn:
Alarielle
Noble, BSB, Banner of Avelorn, Dragon Armour, shield
Handmaiden, Reaver bow, Enchanted shield
20 archers
5 Ellyrian Reavers
2 Eagle Eye Bolt Throwers
20 phoenix guard
10 sisters of avelorn

My bolt throwers were actually accurate and wounded, for once. They took out the hydra AND the reaper bolt throwers (hand of glory for the win!). I also took out his darkshards with an irresisitible Dwellers, which was especially nice when the miscast roll was a 12. After that, only a small number of black guard and doomfire warlocks made it across the board after bearing the brunt of my shooting! I was extremely lucky to come away with a win with a margin like that - I made some exceptionally good rolls (for once), and my list was definitely not the most competitive.
Kaladin

#19 Post by Kaladin »

His list could also have been better - to mount the master wouldn't have been my first inclination, and if I did I probably would've used a cold one and a cold one knight bus of some sort. The sorceress would've also benefited from "look out sir!" saves on foot
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#20 Post by SpellArcher »

Kaladin wrote: I was extremely lucky to come away with a win with a margin like that - I made some exceptionally good rolls (for once), and my list was definitely not the most competitive.
Elf v elf games tend to be bloody and can go heavily one way or the other Kaladin. Your opponent did have some strong elements like the Warlocks and Sorceress but your list looks slightly stronger and better focused.
Kaladin wrote:His list could also have been better - to mount the master wouldn't have been my first inclination, and if I did I probably would've used a cold one and a cold one knight bus of some sort. The sorceress would've also benefited from "look out sir!" saves on foot
The most competitive Dark Elf lists tend to sport a lot of Dark Riders to protect the mounted characters. Everything is Fast Cavalry, so fantastically mobile. DE characters hit incredibly hard, the DR's are mainly there to provide bodies. It really helps the whole list that they're Core.
Kaladin

#21 Post by Kaladin »

SpellArcher wrote:Elf v elf games tend to be bloody and can go heavily one way or the other Kaladin. Your opponent did have some strong elements like the Warlocks and Sorceress but your list looks slightly stronger and better focused.
You think? I was trying to emulate what I believe would be the Avelorn style of fighting (although I really couldn't resist the PG - maybe white lions are more thematically linked? or do the PG do the whole "spiritual guardian" thing well enough to fit?). Maybe next time, another bolt thrower! (when can you have too many of those? :wink: )
SpellArcher wrote:The most competitive Dark Elf lists tend to sport a lot of Dark Riders to protect the mounted characters. Everything is Fast Cavalry, so fantastically mobile. DE characters hit incredibly hard, the DR's are mainly there to provide bodies. It really helps the whole list that they're Core.
Yeah, DR's were also something that was missing - but don't Fast Cavalry units lost F.C. if a character without it joins them? Or is that just me? But regardless, they were definitely sorely missed. His Dreadspears were absolutely minced by my shooting, as were his blackguard.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#22 Post by Prince of Spires »

Kaladin wrote:
SpellArcher wrote:Elf v elf games tend to be bloody and can go heavily one way or the other Kaladin. Your opponent did have some strong elements like the Warlocks and Sorceress but your list looks slightly stronger and better focused.
You think? I was trying to emulate what I believe would be the Avelorn style of fighting (although I really couldn't resist the PG - maybe white lions are more thematically linked? or do the PG do the whole "spiritual guardian" thing well enough to fit?). Maybe next time, another bolt thrower! (when can you have too many of those? :wink: )
PG and WL each have about as much reason to be in Averlorn as the other. WL are the personal bodyguard of the phoenix king. Which makes it entirely plausible that they show up in Averlorn at some point on the orders of the king. Also, since Chrace is just north of Averlorn you could also say they're a regiment of Chracian warriors protecting their neighboring province.

PG are also partially commanded by the Phoenix king, though they are more independent then the WL I think. They go where their god commands them. Which means you can make them show up pretty much anywhere. Of course, protecting the avatar of a fellow god might be more unusual.
Kaladin wrote: but don't Fast Cavalry units lost F.C. if a character without it joins them?
They do indeed. P68 of the BRB, if the character doesn't have the FC rule then the unit loses it until the character leaves again. Though you can move from one unit to the next with great ease, since a lone character pivots which makes him as mobile as a FC unit. And it's very well possible that the DE characters have some extra special rule regarding this.

Rod

Check out my plog

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#23 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:And it's very well possible that the DE characters have some extra special rule regarding this.
Dark Steeds have the Fast Cavalry Special Rule, which applies whoever is riding, Dark Elf army book pg 87. Wood Elf Steeds share this but High Elf Steeds don't.
Kaladin wrote:His Dreadspears were absolutely minced by my shooting, as were his blackguard.
Both too slow in the grand scheme of things and don't do enough damage, plus they lack the durability of High Elf elites. Witch Elves are a better choice, very killy.
Kaladin wrote:You think? I was trying to emulate what I believe would be the Avelorn style of fighting
Your list was better at range Kaladin, which again really matters in elf games, especially when the enemy lacks fast combat threat.
Kaladin

#24 Post by Kaladin »

SpellArcher wrote:Dark Steeds have the Fast Cavalry Special Rule, which applies whoever is riding, Dark Elf army book pg 87. Wood Elf Steeds share this but High Elf Steeds don't.
Wait, seriously? Auto-Fast Cavalry? Bah! I will not tolerate this obvious mistake made by GW - we obviously have the superior steeds... [-X
Well, it kinda makes sense, I guess - we get Ithilimar Barding, after all...Oh wait, nevermind - D.E. get sea dragon cloaks! huh.....
I'd still back High Elves any day though. By far the superior race :wink:
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#25 Post by Prince of Spires »

SpellArcher wrote:
Kaladin wrote:His Dreadspears were absolutely minced by my shooting, as were his blackguard.
Both too slow in the grand scheme of things and don't do enough damage, plus they lack the durability of High Elf elites. Witch Elves are a better choice, very killy.
As infantry you need to be one of three things I think:
- cheap
- durable
- very hard hitting
Or some mix of these. Which is why PG work well and people usually prefer WL over SM. And why glass cannons like Witch Elves are also popular.

An issue with infantry based lists is that you often give up the initiative, the choice about where and when to fight. You need to be able to force your opponent to move. Which is why I think your HE list has a slight upper hand on the DE list. The shooting and strong Alarielle magic phase force your opponent to either suffer a lot of ranged damage or they need to come to you. And then 20 PG are a tough nut to crack.
Kaladin wrote:I'd still back High Elves any day though. By far the superior race
Yeah. Unfortunately someone forgot to mention this fact to the GW army book writers...
#-o

Rod

Check out my plog

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#26 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:An issue with infantry based lists is that you often give up the initiative, the choice about where and when to fight. You need to be able to force your opponent to move. Which is why I think your HE list has a slight upper hand on the DE list. The shooting and strong Alarielle magic phase force your opponent to either suffer a lot of ranged damage or they need to come to you. And then 20 PG are a tough nut to crack.
This.
Kaladin wrote:Well, it kinda makes sense, I guess - we get Ithilimar Barding, after all...Oh wait, nevermind - D.E. get sea dragon cloaks! huh.....
Both armies are among the strongest but DE's probably have an edge.