2000 points HE [8th ed]

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Wolkar

2000 points HE [8th ed]

#1 Post by Wolkar »

Hi there! First post here.

After staying away from WHFB for a couple of years due to a case of End Times Depression, the Warhammer Total War games have reignited my love for the game and setting, and I am ready to start a new army! I'd like some input on this 2k list I wote up:

Archmage
+ Book of Hoeth
+ Talisman of Preservation
+ Level 4 Wizard (High Magic)
= 320

Noble
+ Armour of Destiny
+ great weapon
+ Battle Standard
= 149

Mage
+ Dispel Scroll
Level 1 (High Magic)
= 110

5 Ellyrian Reavers
+ spears; bows
+ musician
= 105

5 Ellyrian Reavers
+ spears; bows
+ musician
= 105

26 Archers
+ FC
= 290

27 Phoenix Guard
+ FC
+ Banner of the World Dragon
= 485

Frostheart Phoenix

Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower

Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower

1 Great Eagle

1 994 points
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: 2000 points HE [8th ed]

#2 Post by Prince of Spires »

Welcome to Ulthuan Wolkar. Always nice to see a new face around.

The list looks good enough. It depends a bit on the level of competitiveness you're looking for.

A couple of points:
Archmage: you could consider dropping the ToP to the T of Endurance. With high magic you have a good chance of getting at least one spell cast. And it saves you 15 points. Depends a bit on how aggressive you want to be.

BSB: nobles on foot are tough to play for High Elves, since we don't have great armour options. Be careful with this guy. More common (though that doesn't fit in your list) is to put him on a horse, give him a mundane 2+ armour save and either a ward of some kind or the Banner of the world dragon.

Lvl 1 mage: fine. Though you could consider dropping him and giving the scroll to the archmage. I would consider giving him a different lore then High magic. There are better signature spells out there then drain or soul quench. I would personally consider Beasts for Wildform. Which complements high elves really well.

Reavers are fine, though I would drop the bows unless you need the points to make minimum core requirements. 5 S3 shots that hit on 4's will not do much. And these guys are here to die. So I would keep them cheap.

Archers: they don't really need the champ, unless you're planning to take some challenges with them.

Phoenix guard: 2 items: they don't really need the BoTWD. Their 4+ ward save already makes them very durable in almost all situations. Adding a High magic mage in there can easily get them to 3+. I think they are better of with the Razor banner, which helps them deal with high armour opponents, which they normally struggle against with only S4. I would also consider reducing their size if you need points somewhere else. 20-25 is normally big enough.

Your rare selection is fine. I would personally drop the eagle (you already have reavers for more or less the same role) and bring a third bolt thrower. It adds an extra bit of reliability and threat to your shooting phase.

Hope this helps.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Aramil Sianontel

#3 Post by Aramil Sianontel »

Hey! No need to be depressed over TeT. After all it never happened.
Anyway i like your list.... It is traditional. I actually agree tha nobles on foot are a little tricky. Maybe bow and a great eagle?
And now when nothing remains
all we have to do is build over again
come on now! let us build a wonderful celebration,
on the edge of that abyss that yawns for us
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#4 Post by SpellArcher »

Welcome!

:)

I mostly agree with the guys, solid list. BSB looks workable to me because both he and the Archmage should be in the PG and hence should be rocking 3+ Wards most of the time, courtesy of Shield of Saphery.
Prince of Spires wrote:Lvl 1 mage: fine. Though you could consider dropping him and giving the scroll to the archmage. I would consider giving him a different lore then High magic. There are better signature spells out there then drain or soul quench. I would personally consider Beasts for Wildform. Which complements high elves really well.
I largely concur. High gives the Archmage better spell selection but if this list has a weakness it’s a shortage of high strength close combat attacks. Wildform helps with that.
Prince of Spires wrote:Archers: they don't really need the champ, unless you're planning to take some challenges with them.
I’m keep him for that reason but he’s clearly not essential.
Prince of Spires wrote:Your rare selection is fine. I would personally drop the eagle (you already have reavers for more or less the same role) and bring a third bolt thrower. It adds an extra bit of reliability and threat to your shooting phase.
Again I agree, third RBT makes a real difference. The Archers are good (especially with Hand of Glory) but not against hard targets. An alternative is to drop Eagle, Mage and some PG to get in 20 White Lions with World Dragon.
RE.Lee

#5 Post by RE.Lee »

My take:

- Archmage is fine - thats how I run mine
- Mage - I'd keep him, Dispel+BoH is powerful magic defense and magic can be key at 2k
- BSB - not bad, but I'd consider Merwyrm Shield - a 4+ parry is almost as good and it frees up points for some more items
- Core - fine
- Phoenix Guards - I agree that Razor Banner is a better pick than BotWD for the unit
- Rare - fine, RBT/eagle depends on your experience/typical terrain

Tell us how things go when you give it a spin!
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#6 Post by Prince of Spires »

Just did the math on the core. Bows on the reavers and archer champ are needed for min core. So they are fine to have in there.
RE.Lee wrote: BSB - not bad, but I'd consider Merwyrm Shield - a 4+ parry is almost as good and it frees up points for some more items
Perhaps Merwyrm shield, golden crown, sword of might.
RE.Lee wrote:Rare - fine, RBT/eagle depends on your experience/typical terrain
This is a big factor indeed. The eagle is very useful to help you get out of a tough situation. M10 flying means it can go almost anywhere you need it. And then you can just drop it in front of whatever unit is needed to stop it from doing anything for a turn (besides kill the eagle that is).

Let us know how the list performed :)

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#7 Post by SpellArcher »

The go-to solo Archmage build would be Dispel Scroll, Ring of Fury, 4++. So you still have 5 spells and any cast will yield that 3+ Ward. There's also the issue of where to keep the Mage, he's a bit fragile. That said, unless you can get another whole, functional unit into the list, dropping him is probably a bad idea.
Prince of Spires wrote:Perhaps Merwyrm shield, golden crown, sword of might.
Looks decent. I used to run Merwyrm, Sword of Anti-heroes, Ironcurse Icon but that was in Swordmasters with World Dragon. Being a Parry, the Shield doesn't protect against spells or Thunderstomps, which can be an issue in Challenges. I guess he wouldn't be looking to take on the likes of Daemon Princes anyway though.