A New Blog

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
SpellArcher
Green Istari

A New Blog

#1 Post by SpellArcher »

At the tournament I played in Worcester last November I had a Magic Moment, courtesy of this army:

These are the splendid Warriors of Chaos by Luke Blaxill. Old-timers may recognise the profusion of 3rd edition models, of which I’m a particular fan. So inspired was I, that I resolved to create a new army of my own, of 3rd edition models, Chaos Dwarfs.

One of the great things about CD’s is that they have a variety of auxiliaries, such as the K’daai and Hobgoblins. I didn’t have those as such but I managed to dig up these guys, who I bought and started 30 years ago!

These would be the start. I may move the thread as I start to post gaming content but for now it’s purely a painting and modelling project, so here we are!
RE.Lee

Re: A New Blog

#2 Post by RE.Lee »

Another ambitious project - let see how those FW Destroyers fit next to the classic range :lol:
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#3 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:Another ambitious project
Lol, watch me go RE!

:)
RE.Lee wrote:let see how those FW Destroyers fit next to the classic range
There’s a slight question mark over this that I’ll get back to later!

So I took to Ebay and found a fifth wolf (and rider, not shown here). He’s shown Milliputted into his base. Next, here he is painted. A very basic heavy drybrushing to fit in with the 30 year old paint jobs on the other wolves I didn’t have the heart to lose:

Here is the unit on painted wolves, riders awaiting their own paint jobs:

These models are classics from the multi-talented hand of Kev ‘Goblinmaster’ Adams.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#4 Post by Prince of Spires »

Gotta love those old models. Nice find.

And that magic army. Wow. Always nice to so much love put into an army.
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
elendor_f

#5 Post by elendor_f »

I think you may be interested in this SpellArcher (other members as well).

There is a sale of 1980's Games Workshop Citadel Miniatures blisters packs. 525 blisters available, pictures here, UK based:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... 2xyUTJUdTA
Unfortunately they are not indexed by category :(

Link to the post in the Middlehammer Trading Outpost Facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/middleh ... 0312592800

Prices are (this seems pretty reasonable to me):
Buying 1 to 9 blisters £5 each
Buying 10 to 19 blisters £4.75 each
Buying 20 to 49 blisters £4.50 each
Buying 50 or more blisters 4.00 each.

Hope this helps!

Edit: It seems that the FB post with the sale has dissappeared :?
"The general has this to say about ensuring against defeat when outnumbered, out–weaponed and outpositioned. It is... Don't Have a Battle."
"Sounds like a clever man," said Jenkins.
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

Avatar: https://silmarillionproject.tumblr.com/
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#6 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:Gotta love those old models. Nice find.
It’s so funny how we buy stuff and years later it gets used, isn’t it Rod? I love Kev Adams’ work, it’s so characterful. Comical with overtones of menace. Brian Nelson is a great sculptor but I find his goblins to be a bit ‘in your face’.
Prince of Spires wrote:And that magic army. Wow. Always nice to so much love put into an army.
You know, I had a funny feeling I’d find some inspiration at that event. So it proved.
elendor_f wrote:I think you may be interested in this SpellArcher (other members as well).
Thanks Elendor. Blimey that’s a lot of very old models.

The wolf riders painted green:

I tried Straken Green but it was just too dark so I went with Nurgling Green instead. This, together with a Baneblade Brown wash, had served me well when painting Daemons:

Plaguebearers and Beasts are a lot bigger than Goblins though and the wash wouldn’t have worked here, so I fell back on my usual blacklining. As I remarked to Kispal in an email, it’s a bit like painting 15mm models, which I did a lot of back in the day.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#7 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

I love Kev Adams’ work, it’s so characterful. Comical with overtones of menace. Brian Nelson is a great sculptor but I find his goblins to be a bit ‘in your face’.
Kev Adams Goblins destroy things because they enjoy it. Brian Nelson goblins destroy things just to destroy them.

I've found myself addicted to painting the Kev Adams night goblins lately.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#8 Post by Prince of Spires »

SpellArcher wrote:
Prince of Spires wrote:Gotta love those old models. Nice find.
It’s so funny how we buy stuff and years later it gets used, isn’t it Rod?
It is indeed. I think a lot of warhammer players have both a collector side and a hobbyist one. The collector tries to grab all the models that look fun and potentially useful and to be as complete as possible. Which if you're not careful generates years of work for the hobbyist. The collector is the one that frequently is asked by his significant other if more models are really necessary (since there's still so many still lying around).

Still, as long as you stick to the hobby a lot of the stuff collected gets used at some point (which goes both for the models but also for the miscellaneous bits of stiff collected in case it's useful in some project somewhere...).

The goblins are starting to look good. The blacklining really works on them. I agree that they're too small to get a lot out of washes etc. Unless you're a much better painter then I am of course... I'm looking forward to the future of both the unit and the Chaos Dwarf army (though I am slightly worried about you turning back to chaos... ;) )

@elendor: Nice find with the sale. It's a lot of work going through all those. But there is a lot there...

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
elendor_f

#9 Post by elendor_f »

The vendor updated the sales post (well, more like he made a new one.):
https://www.facebook.com/groups/middleh ... 8389188659

Apparently he cleaned up the Google drive from stuff that's already sold. There are still 320 blisters left.

I agree indeed with the collector+hobbyist duality, all of my models were bought when I was a teenager so my buying was restricted (only recently I have started to buy more miniatures), but I am fully aware that if I was working back then I would have loads more miniatures, I always wanted to have a second army besides the awesome High Elves.

Btw nice job with the Goblins :)
"The general has this to say about ensuring against defeat when outnumbered, out–weaponed and outpositioned. It is... Don't Have a Battle."
"Sounds like a clever man," said Jenkins.
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

Avatar: https://silmarillionproject.tumblr.com/
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#10 Post by SpellArcher »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:I've found myself addicted to painting the Kev Adams night goblins lately.
A fine body of work Shannar. I particularly like his Skarsnik/Gobbla and the standard bearer with the gong.
Prince of Spires wrote:I'm looking forward to the future of both the unit and the Chaos Dwarf army (though I am slightly worried about you turning back to chaos...
Thanks Rod. There is some slight doubt about that you’ll be pleased to hear.

elendor_f wrote:Btw nice job with the Goblins
Thanks dude!

Here’s the unit with some brown and red added. I’m a bit concerned the red is too dark but they are dirty goblins and will not be a stand-out unit in the army:

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#11 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

I'll have to post some pictures of the painted ones. I've done up all of those in the last few weeks.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#12 Post by Prince of Spires »

I like the red. They will probably not stand out a lot, but that's not their job. It's a good contrast with the green as well. It will probably depend a bit on the rest of your army and how well they fit in there.

I'm not too sure about the red or yellow-ish wolves.

Rod

Check out my plog

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#13 Post by SpellArcher »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:I'll have to post some pictures of the painted ones.
It would be great to see them Shannar.
Prince of Spires wrote:I like the red. They will probably not stand out a lot, but that's not their job. It's a good contrast with the green as well. It will probably depend a bit on the rest of your army and how well they fit in there.
Thanks Rod. I can always come back to them later if necessary.
Prince of Spires wrote:I'm not too sure about the red or yellow-ish wolves.
Lol, the sins of my youth!

Edit: Metal added and unit based...

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#14 Post by SpellArcher »

With the Wolf Riders finished, at least for now, it was time to move on to the next unit:

More Kev Adams goblins but on foot this time. The unit will be 20-strong but I’m going to paint it in batches.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#15 Post by SpellArcher »

The army so far:

I’m happy with the red on the foot guys because it covers more of the whole model and contrasts solidly with the green.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#16 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Red on Greenskins is always a solid choice.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#17 Post by Prince of Spires »

They look great indeed.

Though I do have my doubts about the current power level of the army. I feel like it could use a bit more punch...

;)

Check out my plog

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#18 Post by SpellArcher »

Thanks guys.
Shannar, Sealord wrote:Red on Greenskins is always a solid choice.
Absolutely Shannar. I kind of wondered if I should use a brighter shade but goblin clothes wouldn’t be that clean I’m thinking.
Prince of Spires wrote:Though I do have my doubts about the current power level of the army. I feel like it could use a bit more punch...
Early days Rod!

A more varied batch:

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#19 Post by SpellArcher »

Half the unit down:

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#20 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Looking good.
RE.Lee

#21 Post by RE.Lee »

Sneaky, sneaky goblins! I like them! =D>
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#22 Post by Prince of Spires »

They indeed look great. Lots of character in the models. They perhaps aren't the most detailed models by today's standards. But they have a more timeless quality and appeal.

Check out my plog

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#23 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Prince of Spires wrote:They perhaps aren't the most detailed models by today's standards.
I think that's a advantage to some extent. There isn't a lot of extra stuff that's there just because they can.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#24 Post by SpellArcher »

Thanks guys.
Prince of Spires wrote:Lots of character in the models.
I think this is the key. Take one of the Goblinmaster's later Orcs for example:

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#25 Post by SpellArcher »

Orcs

After much deliberation I've decided to make the army Orcs and Goblins. I love the Kev Adams gobbos and his orcs are just as sweet. I also think it'll be easier to get a cohesive look and feel to the army this way. Competitive 8th edition builds tend to be a bit repetitive but I think I can keep some strong elements and change others up to get an interesting force that can still win a few games. I also have these guys of course, just itching for some paint:

http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=70224

Today I took delivery of some very characterful boyz, including a wonderful Shaman and the guts of a mainstay Big'uns mob. I especially like this chap:

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#26 Post by Prince of Spires »

Nice direction to take the army in. I like the O&G line a lot (both older and newer models). So I'm looking forward to see how this army develops.

And while top competitive lists are fairly similar and repetitive, I do think that they have a lot of options when you're aiming for the level just below that. Which I think is generally what you're going for. There are a lot of unit options in the O&G book. So I'm looking forward to what you're going for.

Rod

Check out my plog

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#27 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

If i ever do a full army again it'll be from the 4e Orc and Goblin book. And to start it'll be straight night goblins. Might have to houserule in some of the bigger squigs though.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#28 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:So I'm looking forward to what you're going for.
Thanks Rod. One biggie is I'm eschewing Savage Orcs which are basically in every competitive list because of the 5+ Ward with Lucky Shrunken Head. I just prefer the older models with armour. These have a couple of compensations but are basically worse.
Shannar, Sealord wrote:Might have to houserule in some of the bigger squigs though.
Definitely Shannar.

These guys are Ruglud's Armoured Orcs, a much appreciated gift a while back from Kispal of this forum. Not sure they'll fit in with my guys directly but they'll do nicely as allies:

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#29 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

I have a couple of the Rugluds myself. They are going to be painted up for Mordheim. They start as soon as I finally finish the Night Goblins
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#30 Post by Prince of Spires »

Yeah, a 5+ ward is hard to forego, especially in an army where a lot of things are quite squishy. Who knows, perhaps you'll get round to them in a couple of years ;)

Do you have an initial list in mind you're working towards? If not, I'm voting arachnarok. You can't go wrong with a huge, bad-ass spider ;)

Rod

Check out my plog