Prince on Star Dragon to Fight Chaos Lord on Dragon

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Tullarion

Prince on Star Dragon to Fight Chaos Lord on Dragon

#1 Post by Tullarion »

I'm looking for the best Prince build while on a Star Dragon, as well as tactics for a hypothetical matchup with a Chaos Lord on a Chaos Dragon. This is not assuming a 600 point total build, as I intend to use the full 100 point magic allowance the Prince has.

The build I'm looking at is something involving Giant Blade, Golden Crown, OTS, maybe enchanted shield, and dragon armor, but it's a little squishy, and definitely relies on a first strike approach.

As far as tactics, I'm curious if a reasonable one is to put all the Prince's and Star Dragon's attacks into the Chaos Dragon, until it is dead, leaving the Lord vulnerable to Thunderstomps, or should I put the Prince's attacks into the Lord, to hopefully kill him, and prevent being killed in return and feeding EotG.

Any help is welcome.
John Rainbow

Re: Prince on Star Dragon to Fight Chaos Lord on Dragon

#2 Post by John Rainbow »

This is a tough fight! Personally I would kill the dragon first. The dragon is harder for the rest of your army to deal with and is easier to kill. This will also generate more combat res. for you so you could run down the Chaos Lord (maybe).

As for kit, I would go Giant Blade and some sort of armour/ward buffs to get a 2+/4++ at the very least. Star Lance is also an option.
RE.Lee

#3 Post by RE.Lee »

I'd go for Talisman of Preservation, Enchanted Shield, Other Trickster's Shard and either Star Lance or Antiheroes. You could swap those swords for a regular lance and Dawnstone. I'd tank up and let the Dragon do the killing (enemy dragon first probably).
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#4 Post by SpellArcher »

I think it's helpful to consider the Chaos Lord build. Assuming 100pts of items, the best I can see is 4+ Ward (he needs this vs Star Dragon/Lance), OTS (to kill the Prince), Ogre Blade (he can't afford Giant Blade and he wants to strike before the Star Dragon). He'll take Mark of Tzeentch for that 3+ Ward and Third Eye to re-roll 1's. Probably Soul Feeder to regain wounds and Scaled Skin for 1+ AS.
RE.Lee wrote:I'd go for Talisman of Preservation, Enchanted Shield, Other Trickster's Shard and either Star Lance
This. Without the 4+ Ward the Prince is pop-up toast.
John Rainbow wrote:Personally I would kill the dragon first.
If charged I agree, no way you're killing the Chaos Lord quickly and you want to remove those S6 attacks on your Prince ASAP. If charging, it might be worth going for the Lord. I think you put just under 2 wounds on on average, you might get lucky and kill him immediately. Otherwise the Star Dragon has another go next round. My worry is that it might come down to Star Dragon vs Chaos Lord and that Tzeentch Ward is a tough nut to crack without OTS. As said, you would pick up Thunderstomp though.