Cavalry Prince Reloaded

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
RE.Lee

Re: Cavalry Prince Reloaded

#211 Post by RE.Lee »

SpellArcher wrote:
RE.Lee wrote:Five Swordmasters is such a characterful unit
Unfortunately they are 10+.
If we're still talking 8th edition here, I'm pretty confident they are 5+. I still remember how cool I found those small units when I first read the book, though I haven't used them as often as I'd like to in that format.
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#212 Post by SpellArcher »

I stand corrected!
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#213 Post by Prince of Spires »

Getting the image to display: open page which shows the image (https://imgur.com/a/Vj2Av). Right click on the image and select "open link in new tab" (or equivalent, depends on browser). Copy the URL of the new tab and put that in the Image
It's a bit big ;)

And SM are indeed still a 5+ unit. It's one of the differences between them and WL. Which actually makes them the cheapest possible unit we can field which is actually a unit (eagles are cheaper but not really a unit as such).

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#214 Post by SpellArcher »

Thanks Rod! I couldn’t figure out how to do it from the mobile app. I don’t have a PC so right-click is a no-go. However, a long press on the image from within my browser seems to do the trick!
Prince of Spires wrote:It's one of the differences between them and WL.
I guess I just assumed both had moved to 10+, I remember this being an issue with Lion cubes.
RE.Lee

#215 Post by RE.Lee »

SpellArcher wrote:I remember this being an issue with Lion cubes.
Thats how they got those cute tails! :lol:
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#216 Post by SpellArcher »

Lists for Sunday finalised and submitted!

8)
RE.Lee

#217 Post by RE.Lee »

Thats a lot of Repeater Bolt Throwers 8)

I'll be rooting for the Tiranoc Chariot, its about time one of these bad boys did something! :lol:
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#218 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:Thats a lot of Repeater Bolt Throwers
I’m expecting Dragons RE. First game is vs Dwarfs but under the pack even they can take one! It’s 1000pts + 500, Meeting Engagement (the one with diagonal deployments).
RE.Lee

#219 Post by RE.Lee »

Dwarfs deploy in a corner anyway ;) RBTs can be decent at sniping artillery too.
cheers, Lee

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#220 Post by Prince of Spires »

Not sure adding a dragon to a dwarf army is a good idea. He needs some support in combat, which Dwarfs have a hard time giving.

The lists look interesting to play. Bring it on!

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#221 Post by SpellArcher »

Event was good, I’ll start a report tomorrow.
RE.Lee wrote:Dwarfs deploy in a corner anyway
This proved a double-edged sword RE.
Prince of Spires wrote:Not sure adding a dragon to a dwarf army is a good idea.
I did not get to find out Rod!
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#222 Post by Prince of Spires »

SpellArcher wrote:
RE.Lee wrote:Dwarfs deploy in a corner anyway
This proved a double-edged sword RE.
Major clifhanger! ;)

Looking forward to the reports.

Check out my plog

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#223 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:Looking forward to the reports.
Thank you Rod.

:)

Champions of Destiny - Worcester

(Matt’s excellent Giant from his fine Warriors of Chaos. See my previous Worcester report for my game against these.)

So this was a one-day tournament held at St Swithun’s Institute in Worcester. Mark Peat was running things and the event was facilitated by Andy Monaghan of Worcester War Games. 12 players, I would say slightly stronger than my past two tourneys. Each game saw progressively larger armies. Uncomped, no End Times, no 50% Lords and Heroes. Armies as follows:

Warriors of Chaos x 2
Dwarfs x 2
Nurgle Daemons
Lietpold’s army from Tamurkhan
Lizardmen
Skaven
Empire
Vampire Counts
Wood Elves
High Elves
RE.Lee

#224 Post by RE.Lee »

Nice mix. Disappointed at no Tomb Kings, but the Tamurkhan's Empire list makes up for it I guess :wink:
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#225 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:Nice mix. Disappointed at no Tomb Kings, but the Tamurkhan's Empire list makes up for it I guess
Mark the TO would have played TK’s to balance the numbers if necessary I think RE but we had an even 12. Not your typical Empire list, is it!

Game One - Cornered

Archmage, High Magic, 5+ Ward, Dispel Scroll

10 Archers, Musician
5 Silver Helms, Shields, Full Command

18 Swordmasters, FC, World Dragon

2 RBT
Eagle

14 Glade Guard, Musician, Eternal Flame
Frost Phoenix
Eagle

Dwarf Lord, Runes of Doom

20 Warriors, Full Command
10 Quarrellers, Musician
10 Thunderers, Musician

10 Ironbreakers

Organ Gun

20 Empire Spearmen
10 Empire Handgunners

Unridden Ancient Stegadon

As mentioned, Meeting Engagement. Thoughts on the match-up?
RE.Lee

#226 Post by RE.Lee »

Odd list there #-o

The Organ Gun is always a nuisance and the Steg can cause trouble it your RBTs let him, but all that infantry is done for, I think.
cheers, Lee

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#227 Post by Prince of Spires »

That indeed is a strange dwarf list. It looks a bit like the owner had 80 models in total and simply decided to bring them all.

It's indeed the shooting + stegadon you have to worry about. SM don't like that. You do have a slight range advantage I think. And a big speed advantage of course. Still, the SM + frosty (which should be able to catch it and hold it up) should be able to deal with the stegadon ok. After which the main thing is to not get shot to pieces by the organ gun.

I'm not sure if meeting engagement works in your advantage or not. It could help get you stuck in earlier (protecting you from shooting). But it also could remove your range advantage. Also, it's harder to pull a refused flank or outflanking maneuver.

all in all, should be an interesting game

Rod

Check out my plog

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#228 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:Odd list there
It’s a lot of bodies RE. But it’s not obvious how to make those count.
Prince of Spires wrote:You do have a slight range advantage I think.
I do Rod and I also have magic (Soul Quench, Apotheosis, Hand of Glory). I rolled a double but went for small spells to boost Shield of Saphery and because the RIP of Convocation for example would be wasted. The match-up is definitely favourable.

I rolled higher and deployed my whole army first, per the scenario:

Apologies for the orientation guys, though you do get a nice view of my tea mug! The Swordmasters (and Archmage) were close to the middle and as far forwards as I could put them. The wood to their left was large and the bit you can’t see contains the Wood Elves. Beyond those is an Eagle. High Elf Archers are to the right of the Swordmasters with the second Eagle further to the right out of shot. RBT’s are visible on the hill, the Frostheart was behind these. Silver Helms had rolled a 1 and so were in Reserve. I was not afraid of a firefight and the only combat threat I feared (the Dwarf Lord) was countered by World Dragon (I knew he had no Great Weapon).

This was actually taken afterwards but not much had changed. The Steg is out of shot to the left. Next we see Quarrellers and then Empire Handgunners. Rightwards we have the Warrior block and Ironbreakers plus Lord. Behind those the Organ Gun on the hill and further right the Spearmen who were initially deployed facing forwards. James my opponent put the Thunderers in the building but then we remembered to roll for Reserves and they instead started off-table. His units were not on the front line, they were a little further back as he expected me to attack.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#229 Post by Prince of Spires »

Looks good. Nothing too special about the deployment. Except that having the SH in reserve isn't necessarily a bad thing. They're fast enough to get in on the action and can perhaps pull of a nice flanking maneuver. And given the diagonal deployment they can perhaps make it to a flank / rear reasonably fast.

Rod

Check out my plog

RE.Lee

#230 Post by RE.Lee »

Seems reasonable.

Is the mounted guy in the infantry unit riding backwards for any particular reason? :wink:
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#231 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:Nothing too special about the deployment
Oh dear, I was rather pleased with mine!

RE.Lee wrote:Is the mounted guy in the infantry unit riding backwards for any particular reason?
He’s a filler, it’s artistic I suspect.

Turn One

James failed to roll a 6 so the High Elves went first. Eagles flew round the flanks while the Phoenix moved up behind the building on the right. The Swordmasters pulled back out of Handgun range. My shooters stayed put. The Silver Helms cantered on to the field on my far left. Magic saw Hand improve Wood Elf BS (and Shield of Saphery) after a bad dispel roll. Elf Archers rolled well and killed a couple of the Quarrellers opposite. Wood Elves and RBT’s targeted the Organ Gun, putting two wounds on it.

The Spearmen turned to face the Eagle on my left and the Steg the one on my right while the Thunderers entered play far across from the Helms. The Empire Handgunners held station and so couldn’t shoot. Quarrellers killed a High Elf Archer. The Organ Gun rolled 20 shots at my Swordmasters! “No worries, World Dragon”. Except that my opponent had brought the world’s first runeless Organ Gun. As it happened it needed 5’s to hit and that, combined with my 5+ Ward meant only 3 SM’s died. I could live with that.

RE.Lee

#232 Post by RE.Lee »

SpellArcher wrote:Except that my opponent had brought the world’s first runeless Organ Gun. As it happened it needed 5’s to hit and that, combined with my 5+ Ward meant only 3 SM’s died. I could live with that.
Ha! At least no Rune of Accuracy to help him out. Only 3 Elves is definitely what I call acceptable losses - as long as the first rank remains intact, they're good :wink:

Lets see how this develops!
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#233 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:Ha! At least no Rune of Accuracy to help him out.
An Engineer might have hurt but hey, low points game for the win!

Turn Two

On my left, the Eagle charged over the Spearmen into the Organ Gun, while the Helms trotted up without getting too close. My other Eagle flew behind the Empire Handgunners. Magic again saw the Wood Elves boosted. Shooting killed some Spearmen. The Eagle finished off the Organ Gun and Reformed.

The Stegadon lumbered around the side of the building. The Thunderers were on target, removing my victorious Eagle.

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#234 Post by SpellArcher »

Turn Three

The remaining Eagle charged the Handgunners in the rear. The Phoenix ghosted forwards to threaten a charge itself. Magic was stopped but the RBT rolled brilliantly and took the Stegadon clean off. The Wood Elves killed more Spearmen and the Archers a Quarreller. The Eagle killed a guy but his comrades held and Reformed to face the threat.

Seeing which way the wind was blowing, the Dwarfs advanced. The Warriors wheeled to face the Phoenix, while the Ironbreakers (and Lord) marched towards the Wood Elves. The Thunderers advanced to bring the Silver Helms into range. The only shooting was a fruitless Quarreller volley at the Frostheart. The Eagle-Handgunners combat ground on.

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#235 Post by Prince of Spires »

SpellArcher wrote:
Prince of Spires wrote:Nothing too special about the deployment
Oh dear, I was rather pleased with mine!
I didn't mean it as a negative. Mainly that there were no big surprises in there.

Things seem to be heading your way. Interesting to run into a non-runed Organ gun and lucky it only cost 3 SM. That could have gone a lot worse (though 3 is about average with 5+ to hit, 5+ ward, but still). You're making the most of your range advantage and you're keeping him nice and busy. The fact that he feels the need to start moving is a good sign. Now is the time to isolate the different elements and pick them off one at a time.

Rod

Check out my plog

RE.Lee

#236 Post by RE.Lee »

SpellArcher wrote:The Eagle finished off the Organ Gun and Reformed.

Nice, mine tend to get stuck on Dwarf crews forever! Maybe I just bump into entrenchment too much.

The RBT did well to bring down the Steg.

You should be cruising with the two main threats down. :D
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#237 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:That could have gone a lot worse
It could Rod but even losing the whole back rank I’d still have felt confident. James is down to M3 combat troops and that’s pretty grim.
RE.Lee wrote:Nice, mine tend to get stuck on Dwarf crews forever!
Shooting two wounds off first really helped RE.

Turn Four

I’m a little hazy about this turn. I seem to have removed the Quarrellers somehow and kept grinding down the Men.

Both Warriors and Ironbreakers kept advancing.

Turn Five

Helms charged the Spearmen. Phoenix charged the Handgunners in the flank.

Magic achieved little but shooting killed some Ironbreakers. The Helms won but the Spearmen held. Hangunners finished off the Eagle but were themselves wiped out by the Frostheart, who overran.

Thunderers charged the Helms’ flank. Ironbreakers (and Lord) charged the Wood Elves, who fled. Only Spearmen died in the combat, which stuck.

Turn Six

The Phoenix charged the flank of the Thunderers but at this point Mark told us we had to stop, game over.

13-7 win
RE.Lee

#238 Post by RE.Lee »

SpellArcher wrote: Shooting two wounds off first really helped RE.
Indeed, missed that bit :wink:

Good win, pity you couldn't get a couple of more rounds in as the enemy force seemed done for. Hoping the reminder of games went just as well!
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#239 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:Good win, pity you couldn't get a couple of more rounds in as the enemy force seemed done for. Hoping the reminder of games went just as well!
Thanks dude. Maybe I’d have got a 15-5 or something.

A Chaotic Interlude

Best Painted was won by Luke’s very striking Warriors of Chaos army. Close to my heart, as it was largely comprised of 3rd Edition models from the late 80’s. For example, this big unit of Warriors seemed mostly made up of Jes Goodwin’s awesome Champions of Chaos:

I’m pretty sure this was a Warshrine:

My favourite, Skullcrushers with 1st Generation Juggernauts:

So struck was I that it’s inspired me to start a whole new army, mostly of 3rd edition models!

RE.Lee

#240 Post by RE.Lee »

Simply fantastic! :lol:

Those Crushers are from before they were cool :wink:
cheers, Lee