Cavalry Prince Reloaded

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
RE.Lee

Re: Cavalry Prince Reloaded

#181 Post by RE.Lee »

SpellArcher wrote:Firstly Dwellers. The reason this wasn't cast for the whole game was that Liam wasn't willing to without having Throne of Vines up for Miscast protection and I kept dispelling that.
This is it. A big spell that he didn't need to 6-dice. A must to dispel, it would have affected the rest of your phase. The rest of the lore is not that big of a deal, as it protects and heals what is already a decently survivable army. It lacks projection of power and this was a big thing here. He just couldn't push that advantage.
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#182 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:This is it. A big spell that he didn't need to 6-dice.
Certainly, once the Slann gets within 12" he can 5-dice it reliably as he only needs to roll a 14. Outside that he can try it but it's much closer to a 50-50 thing. Granted he can cast it through a Skink Priest, I always forget this!
RE.Lee wrote:It lacks projection of power
Exactly. The siggy Slann has a varied repertoire he can hurt you with at range. Dwellers is a very blunt instrument.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#183 Post by SpellArcher »

Conclusion

So Rob, my second round opponent won the tournament, beating Lynsey's Skaven on Table 1. She finished second. An interesting Daemon army with plenty of Slaanesh just squeezed me out of third by a few points. It's player was on Table 3 last round but won bigger than I did, so I ended up fourth. This is the second time I've played at Worcester and the events have a nice atmosphere. I'm getting more used to the unusual scoring system. Their next event is in October, so I hope to report back from that!
RE.Lee

#184 Post by RE.Lee »

Fourth isn't bad (says he, who never attended a tournament in his life :lol: )! Out of how many was that?
cheers, Lee

Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#185 Post by Luna Guardian »

RE.Lee wrote:Fourth isn't bad (says he, who never attended a tournament in his life :lol: )! Out of how many was that?
Three *DUN DUN DUNN!*

Seriously though, good job :)
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#186 Post by Prince of Spires »

Luna Guardian wrote:
RE.Lee wrote:Fourth isn't bad (says he, who never attended a tournament in his life :lol: )! Out of how many was that?
Three *DUN DUN DUNN!*
:lol:

Congrats on 4th place indeed. Especially after facing the chaos dwarves round 2 and losing the archmage T1 spell 1 in game 3 it's a good finish.

The Lizardmen player failed to capitalise on your loss of the archmage. He either should have held back and played very conservatively. After all, you were down 300pts turn 1 and he had some serious magical superiority or he should have gone all in in a more aggressive way. Which also means powering some more spells through. Now, he sort of walked right into your army and let you chop up enough pieces for a nice win.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#187 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:Out of how many was that?
Luna Guardian wrote:Three *DUN DUN DUNN!*
Prince of Spires wrote: :lol:
Close! Ten actually, we had a couple of dropouts. Thanks guys, at least there were no trophies to miss out on this time!
Prince of Spires wrote:The Lizardmen player failed to capitalise on your loss of the archmage. He either should have held back and played very conservatively. After all, you were down 300pts turn 1 and he had some serious magical superiority or he should have gone all in in a more aggressive way. Which also means powering some more spells through. Now, he sort of walked right into your army and let you chop up enough pieces for a nice win.
I agree Rod. I've fought this kind of game before and knew I had a good chance if not too many dice rolls went wrong. Liam I suspect was not used to this kind of elf play. I've won games before where an opponent has a solid list, deploys sensibly by the book but doesn't adjust enough to what's coming from across the table.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#188 Post by Prince of Spires »

Perhaps there is also a bit of psychology at work here. Your opponent (perhaps unconsciously) felt like he was ahead by a long way right from the start of the game and so perhaps didn't give his best. Slightly less concentration, a little bit more relaxed and so on. Not that he decided to play a bad game (or that he didn't play solid), just maybe 90% instead of 100%.

You on the other hand perhaps started out feeling you were down a long way from the start and you had to give it your best effort. So, slightly more concentration then normal, perhaps a bit more calculations on the different odds and so on. So playing at 105% instead of 100%. It doesn't happen consciously. But humans are wired in such a way that external factors such as this play a big role in the outcome. We're efficient creatures. So if our mind decides that 90% is enough it's very hard to go all out.

I also agree that elf lists such as yours need a bit of a different approach. You can't just walk straight forward and take it on. It's too flexible and mobile if played right. When the dust settles, the elf unit you focussed on will be gone (like your spearmen this game), but so will the rest of your army.

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#189 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:Perhaps there is also a bit of psychology at work here.
Good point Rod. Funnily enough, the Archmage probably wasn't the worst thing to lose early doors. Facing such an awesome magic defence he probably wouldn't have got much through anyway. Plus the scroll was more important than his +3 to dispel, in the grand scheme of things.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#190 Post by SpellArcher »

Implications

Game One went pretty smoothly. The list functioned as it was supposed to and I feel my tactics were fine. Game Three was obviously a bit less comfortable but the way the list coped with the early setback of losing the Archmage was pleasing. 6-dicing Convocation on the Skinks was clearly a mistake, possibly it would have been worth a try if I'd got the AM into range of a Saurus block. This highlighted the advantage in Game One of having that spell on the Mage, though losing him and especially his scroll, would also have hurt big time.

Game Two was a different animal. As discussed under that game I don't think a direct assault would have worked. First, the Frostheart gets shot down, then the Hellcannon and spells hammer the Helm Bus and kill the characters. Then massed Deathshrieker templates take out the Swordmasters. This happens fast because of the Engineer re-rolls.

My last game at Northampton saw the Swordmasters stymied because World Dragon was in the Helms. Hence here at Worcester I reversed this and the Swordmasters performed better in games One and Three. But Game Two really found this list choice out. The Bus was pretty much naked in the face of such Magical firepower and World Dragon didn't protect the Swordmasters at all from the Deathshriekers.

Had I run the Worcester set-up, the Swordmasters would have had Ironcurse Icon and Lichebone Pennant to stack with Shield of Saphery for likely at least a 5+ Ward. The Helms with World Dragon become pretty much proof against Hellcannon and spells and very hard for the Chaos Dwarfs to deal with. Sure, the Swordmasters suffer more in certain other match-ups but the fact that I still won that third game at Northampton suggests to me that I had the list balance right at that event.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#191 Post by Prince of Spires »

Would you have still won the 1st and 3rd game with the banner on the helms though?

Game 2 was a pretty min-max list, from an unusual army. I'm not sure you can count on running into it again. So changing a core principle from the list based on a single game might not be the best of ideas. Perhaps, as a mental exercise, it's a good idea to consider what a regular dwarf gunline would have looked like, and what the implications for your list would have been. How much of the shooting in that case is magical? And would it go for the helms or the SM first? How would you tackle such a game, assuming a similar battlefield / deployment?

Rod

Check out my plog

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#192 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:Would you have still won the 1st and 3rd game with the banner on the helms though?
Yes Rod. In Game One the Chaos Warriors might have held for longer with the BSB's magic sword actually doing some damage. But I don't think it would have made enough of a difference.
Prince of Spires wrote:Game 2 was a pretty min-max list, from an unusual army. I'm not sure you can count on running into it again. So changing a core principle from the list based on a single game might not be the best of ideas.
Here's a quote from the great man which sums up how I feel about this:
Seredain wrote:I want to create an army which can play against anything and have a good chance of winning. If I were kidnapped tomorrow by masked men and transported somewhere by plane, at night, I'd like to think I could play a competitive game without having any idea about where I was. This rules out several expensive set-ups for me which are actually very effective against many, even most, enemy armies. For example: mounted monsters (because of cannons), gunlines (because of the Storm Banner etc - even though I've only faced it once!), all-magic armies (many more dice rolls happen before a spell is successfully cast - so it's more prone to weird results, there are lots of anti-magic items out there, Dwarfs will always exist and after all that my mages can still just explode). Effectively, I try and build an army without thinking about my local scene, at all.
I'd disagree that World Dragon on the Swordmasters is a core principle of the list. The bottom line, as espoused above, is that if I turn up and realise I have no chance of beating what's in front of me, that won't do. The list needs to be changed, even if that makes some other match-ups more difficult.
Prince of Spires wrote:How much of the shooting in that case is magical?
All the War Machines and hence most of the threat.
Prince of Spires wrote:And would it go for the helms or the SM first?
Usually the Helms because they're faster.
Prince of Spires wrote:How would you tackle such a game, assuming a similar battlefield / deployment?
With World Dragon in the Swordmasters, putting all the characters in there and rushing the enemy can be very effective. But there are things like Gyrocopters to worry about. With World Dragon in the Helms, massed Crossbows or Irondrakes could be an issue. Either way, that unit is a huge threat because Runic Weapons are virtually useless against it. Whether the Dwarfs roll army-wide Hatred matters too. You do not want to get stuck in a grind with Hammerers, so Eagling them or something while the bus finds a weak spot is probably necessary.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#193 Post by Prince of Spires »

SpellArcher wrote: I'd disagree that World Dragon on the Swordmasters is a core principle of the list. The bottom line, as espoused above, is that if I turn up and realise I have no chance of beating what's in front of me, that won't do. The list needs to be changed, even if that makes some other match-ups more difficult.
A very commendable goal. Just be careful when changing things around that you don't make the list a lot worse against everyone else. An important part of Seredain's statement is that you need to stay away from tailoring your army to a specific opponent. And that is the risk here. Which was behind the rest of my questions.

What if you would switch the SM for something else? We've talked about this option before. SM need a bit more babysitting then the other elite infantry. Or possibly even a unit of DP's.
SpellArcher wrote: With World Dragon in the Swordmasters, putting all the characters in there and rushing the enemy can be very effective.
Would this have been an option vs the chaos dwarves? Put all characters in the SM, screen them with the SH and rush in as fast as possible to get into combat T3.

Rod

Check out my plog

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#194 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:A very commendable goal. Just be careful when changing things around that you don't make the list a lot worse against everyone else. An important part of Seredain's statement is that you need to stay away from tailoring your army to a specific opponent. And that is the risk here. Which was behind the rest of my questions.
The Chaos Dwarf game wasn't fun Rod. I'd have gladly taken much smaller wins in the other two to give myself a fighting chance here.

What misled me was the durability of the Helms based on armour in previous games. As soon as they ran into an opponent with good anti-armour, they were effectively toast and had to hide. Plenty more such opponents exist. Not to mention the horrible vulnerability of the characters to sniping spells. I do not have the option of building a bigger bus with a protective mage in for example. World Dragon is so good for them because most damage magic becomes irrelevant and a lot of the most dangerous anti-armour shooting (Hellcannon, Organ Guns, Enchanted Arrows) is Magical.
Prince of Spires wrote:What if you would switch the SM for something else? We've talked about this option before. SM need a bit more babysitting then the other elite infantry. Or possibly even a unit of DP's.
The army concept depends on fielding elite infantry really. I'd love to run PG but I just don't have the models. I'd thought of adapting the old metal Black Guard but that's a serious Ebay project. With some changes I might be able to field White Lions but those gel worse with Shield of Saphery I believe and they really need World Dragon to counter the Lion Cloak vulnerability to Magical shooting.

The Swordmasters did pretty well, running into two respectable Infantry blocks and doing a number on each and that wasn't really down to World Dragon. I think with a 5+ AS and very likely a 5+ Ward they are reasonably protected from ranged attacks. Yes I held them back last tournament vs the Dwarfs but that was because the Helms and Frostheart were already clearing the enemy flank and I was heading for a sensible small win. World Dragon to permit an infantry rush would have been great but maybe against a competent Dwarf player it is too much to expect a big victory. Virtually every previous game I can recall was a minor loss!
Prince of Spires wrote:Would this have been an option vs the chaos dwarves? Put all characters in the SM, screen them with the SH and rush in as fast as possible to get into combat T3.
Yes and with a lot of luck it might have worked. More likely though, the three laser-guided Deathshriekers pick off the mounted characters because these lack Look out Sir. The War Machine attacks are not Magical (and nor are those from a K'daai Destroyer believe it or not!). Then the unit has nothing to deal with the Skullcracker.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#195 Post by SpellArcher »

Tweaking

So in a few weeks I'm heading back to Northampton for a reprise of the tourney I played in March:

http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic ... 3&t=136607

Three games of Battle Line, no End Times, 25% Lords and Heroes. The first game is 1000pts+, the second 1500pts+, the third 2000pts+. The + will be in each game a unit of Allied Glade Guard and a Frostheart, like last time. This time though, I can squeeze in an extra Eagle for free. I've decided to take pretty much the same lists as last time, so the question is, what to do with 50 spare points for each list, or whether to just add the Eagle? I'll post the existing 1000pt list soon.

Edit:

Archmage, High Magic, 5+ Ward, Dispel Scroll

10 Archers, Musician
5 Silver Helms, Shields, Full Command

18 Swordmasters, FC, World Dragon

2 RBT
Eagle

14 Glade Guard, Musician, Eternal Flame
Frost Phoenix

I'm 10 points under 25% with the Archmage and the Core is 5pts over. Tempted to just add the second Eagle here but any ideas welcome!
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#196 Post by Prince of Spires »

I remember the reports. They were fun games I think.

How about dropping the first eagle? This would give you 100 points to play with, which could get you some interesting stuff. Yes, you lose your redirector. But at 1000 pts, you could get away with not having it. Especially since you have other stuff that could replace its role if needed. Both the archers and the SH are semi disposable if needed.

You could get a skycutter (for 95pts or if you drop one or two SM probably include the bolt thrower on it). Or a tiranoc chariot. Or, again if you drop some SM a Lion chariot. Another small unit of SM is also an option. Or a larger unit of SW. Or a lvl 1 mage. Or another RBT and some other stuff.

That would be my choice. I think at 1500pts (what you're effectively playing), having extra boots on the ground beats the redirector.

Rod

Check out my plog

RE.Lee

#197 Post by RE.Lee »

You have plenty of shooting and solid magic so I guess you'll be going on the defensive for the most part. Having that extra eagle to redirect any incoming threats is very useful, though perhaps a bit overkill at 1k? A chariot, like Rod mentioned, would give you a nice counter-charge threat, too. Personally I love eagles :D
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#198 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:How about dropping the first eagle?
Unfortunately I can't do this Rod. I get 300 bonus points to spend from Monsters, Monstrous Beasts and Monstrous Infantry (from an aligned book, no Beasts of Nurgle sadly!). The Frostheart is a no-brainer, which pretty much leaves points for an Eagle.
RE.Lee wrote:A chariot, like Rod mentioned, would give you a nice counter-charge threat, too.
I'd probably have to drop a couple of Swordmasters and/or command figures RE. As it stands I only have two combat units but they're pretty solid ones so I'm not sure really. I like the idea though.
RE.Lee

#199 Post by RE.Lee »

Well, in that case I'd go for another eagle 8)
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#200 Post by SpellArcher »

I think both ways would be fine but the tourney has been postponed so I have time to ponder!
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#201 Post by SpellArcher »

The tourney is now happening Sunday November 26th at Worcester:

http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic ... 3&t=136723

Pretty much the same format. The second game though will be Battle For The Pass. Here’s the list I took last time, 1500pts + 500pts:

Archmage, Lvl 4 High, 4+ Ward, Dispel Scroll, Ironcurse Icon
Noble, Barded Steed, HA, Ogre Blade, Enchanted Shield, Luckstone
BSB, Barded Steed, DA, Lance, Shield, World Dragon

12 Archers, FC, LA
8 Silver Helms, FC, Shields

17 Swordmasters. FC, Lichebone Pennant

2 RBT
2 Eagles

14 Glade Guard, Musician, Banner of Eternal Flame
Frost Phoenix

As discussed in previous posts I’m essentially getting an Eagle for free this time, so what to do with the 50pts? I could simply add Swordmasters. Or swap an Eagle for an RBT (especially considering the scenario) plus two SM’s. Or something else?

Thoughts?
RE.Lee

#202 Post by RE.Lee »

SMs drop like flies, so some extra bodies would come in handy. I think there's enough shooting in the list right now, especially since you mostly want to drop chaff to make way for the SH bus.
cheers, Lee

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#203 Post by Prince of Spires »

I agree with RE here. You have a fair bit of shooting already. So you don't need more (though it's always an option). Battle for the pass makes it interesting. It really depends on what you're up against to know what the best choice would be. But, the worst your list could run in to there is a gunline of some sort. Which would leave your army with a long walk to get to anything meaningful.

With that in mind, some more SM really make sense. They don't like shooting at all, so a couple more makes sense for them. A couple more SH would benefit the bus as well. But I seem to remember you mentioned not having more then 8 SH. So that's probably not an option.

Rod

Check out my plog

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#204 Post by SpellArcher »

Thanks guys.
RE.Lee wrote:I think there's enough shooting in the list right now,
I expect dragons RE, which is why the third RBT is attractive. Maybe you’re right though.
Prince of Spires wrote:It really depends on what you're up against to know what the best choice would be.
I agree Rod. Against a full gunline I’d be tempted to sit on the baseline, Battle for the Pass is no fun at all there. In a more normal scenario I’d be more keen to go combat.

2000pt + 500pt list:

Prince, Barded Steed, HA, Giant Blade, Enchanted Shield, Dawnstone
Archmage, High Magic, 4+ Ward, Ironcurse Icon
BSB, Barded Steed, Lance, DA, Shield, World Dragon
Mage, Lvl 2, High Magic, Dispel Scroll, MR 1

8 Silver Helms, Shields, Standard, Musician
29 Spears. FC, Gleaming Pennant

20 Swordmasters, FC, Lichebone Pennant
Tiranoc Chariot

3 RBT
2 Eagles

This one is difficult. I could swap out the MR 1 for a magic ring maybe but that only uses 10pts. Drop an Eagle for 10 Archers perhaps?
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#205 Post by SpellArcher »

I also have a Plan B but that will require it’s own thread.

:)
RE.Lee

#206 Post by RE.Lee »

Did I miss the plan B?

Taking 10 archers that didn't contribute much to the battle was my mistake against the Vampire Counts last time - no way I'd recommend it! :lol:
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#207 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:Did I miss the plan B?
http://ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=80&t=70466
RE.Lee wrote:Taking 10 archers that didn't contribute much to the battle was my mistake against the Vampire Counts last time - no way I'd recommend it! :lol:
I’m a bit wary of going over min Core RE. But I already have 3 RBT and the Flaming Wood Elves so it kind of maximises one of my strengths.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#208 Post by Prince of Spires »

I agree with RE that 10 archers don't really add much (if anything). Of course, my archers couldn't hit a wall from 2 meters away, they're that blind. So I might be a bit biased by them. But 2 wounds before saves per turn in the best possible scenario's isn't really something to look forward too. The eagle might be worth it more, simply by virtue of holding something up for a turn and so letting you shoot it with your RBT some more.

I think a good upgrade (for 50pts) would be to turn the Tiranoc into a Lion chariot (though I'm not sure you have the model, so it might not be an option). But higher S, more attacks and a better save. It's definitely worth it. Otherwise, the list looks good. Pretty standard (apart from the SM instead of WL or PG) but there's nothing wrong with it.

You could shave some points here and there if you want. Like indeed the MR 1, or the DA on the BSB, the Pennant on the spearmen etc. Which could get you a small unit of some kind. But that's more personal preference then clearly better. For instance, if you would run WL instead of SM, I would suggest a unit of 5 SM (or so) for all those points. But that's because I like more boots on the ground.

Rod

Check out my plog

RE.Lee

#209 Post by RE.Lee »

Five Swordmasters is such a characterful unit 8)
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#210 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:Five Swordmasters is such a characterful unit
Unfortunately they are 10+.
Prince of Spires wrote:Otherwise, the list looks good.
Thanks Rod. The benefit of the Archers is partly felt when Flaming strips Regen, or if I get Hand off on them. But 40 shots at something being better than 30 is most of it. They can also work as a bunker or redirector at a pinch. I’m also inclined to favour simplicity here for ease of list submission!

In other news, I downloaded Imgur’s app so I can post pictures again, here’s the link to my test shot:

https://imgur.com/a/Vj2Av

Any ideas how I get this to display directly?