Cavalry Prince Reloaded

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Cavalry Prince Reloaded

#271 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:One forgets this is even possible sometimes but 16,6% is still a decent chance!
I’ve seen Chaos Dwarf players relate how the Destroyer can get wounds past even a 2+ Fireward sometimes RE.
RE.Lee wrote:Again, pity for the battle ending before it was due
A mixture of things really. First, the compressed schedule. Second, as mentioned above I don’t think we missed a single Fear etc test, correct of course but probably something that actually speeds up most games. Third, we had to check several rules points, for example TDOI is Direct Damage, so by default is impossible to cast into combat. The FAQ says it can be but we had to check this with the TO (who looked it up on the net). Too big a point to just let go when we had a decisive combat already in turn 1. I was chatting afterwards to Andy, another of the players and we both felt that a slightly simpler tourney format might have helped with getting more games finished. At the end of the day though, it was Mark the TO’s event (and a good one), he put a lot of hard work in for which we were all very grateful, so it’s his call.
RE.Lee wrote:you had an upper hand it that grind.
Certainly, I think Lee’s Frostheart was doomed and then he has to try to contain my bus. He felt he was winning the other one which is possible. His Scar Vet is out of contact so next turn I think he Makes Way to show his flank to my Phoenix, thus preserving his TG. Then it’s a question of whether the Phoenix can kill him before my bodies or Gleaming Pennant re-roll run out. I do think I retain a shooting advantage but if my Archmage goes down (probably not quickly) my Mage has a lot to cope with.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#272 Post by Prince of Spires »

I think the 10-10 is a fair reflection of the current situation. There's a few dicey situation in there which could make the game swing left or right. You might have a slight upper hand. But a round of bad rolling, like a mage visiting the warp at the wrong time, and it goes the other way.

How did you do in the tournament overall?

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#273 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:How did you do in the tournament overall
Conclusion

So I finished on 33pts Rod. I'm not sure but I think that put me 6th/12. There were extra tournament points to be had for Secret Missions but these were hard to achieve. I might have won game 1 by more I guess. The other two games were tougher, so no complaints really. All were interesting challenges.

The tournament as a whole was great as usual. Some lovely armies and games played in a good spirit. Perhaps some slightly harder lists than prior events but nothing horrific. So kudos to Mark for putting on another good event, ably assisted by Andy of Worcester War Games. I look forward to seeing everyone again in the months to come!
RE.Lee

#274 Post by RE.Lee »

Finishing is the middle of the pack is cozy - it did seem like a very nice tournament!
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#275 Post by Prince of Spires »

Indeed it did. It looked like you had fun and some pretty interesting games.

And middle of the pack is a nice enough achievement. I do think if you'd played some of the games a bit further that you might have grabbed some extra points. It's difficult to finish in time. My games (don't play tournaments though) always run long as well. I do think we have an article floating around somewhere about the art of speed playing if you want some tips.
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#276 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:And middle of the pack is a nice enough achievement. I do think if you'd played some of the games a bit further that you might have grabbed some extra points. It's difficult to finish in time. My games (don't play tournaments though) always run long as well. I do think we have an article floating around somewhere about the art of speed playing if you want some tips.
Thanks Rod. The thing is, as a naturally slow player I already take steps (learning relevant rules, army selection, slightly loose deployment, slightly casual play) to speed that up. These are effective, for example two games at my previous tournament went to six turns, the other less only because I turned up late. The difference was that at this event we had scenarios, secret missions, a different army list for each game, some units that weren't in the normal army books and a slightly compressed schedule. Some of these definitely added something but I wonder if some kind of half-way compromise might be an idea.
RE.Lee wrote:Finishing is the middle of the pack is cozy - it did seem like a very nice tournament!
It was RE. This is undeniably one of the best things about 8th edition events these days. I'd like to have finished higher but at the end of the day, playing interesting games and meeting fellow enthusiasts is more important to me.