My Khorne models (40k & fantasy)

A forum for all other games which don't fit into the other gaming forums. Elves (and other races) in other tabletop wargame systems. The place to discuss systems like, Mordheim, Warmachine, Infinity and Warthrone. But also topics that relate to any other game such as 40K, Dropzone Commander, board games or PC/Console gaming belong here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Icarion

My Khorne models (40k & fantasy)

#1 Post by Icarion »

Good evening fellow plastic-dude addicts!

Here i present you the reason why i´m a rare guest in this forum... yes, i love my High Elves and my dragons too, but Khorne daemons are my main army, since i can play them both in fantasy and 40k. Somehow i also love my crazy berzerkers, so i´ve spent lots of my free time collecting, painting and playing those red dudes:
Attachments
Khorne Daemons 1.jpg
Khorne Daemons 1.jpg (80.75 KiB) Viewed 4397 times
Caledor for life!
Icarion

Re: My Khorne models (40k & fantasy)

#2 Post by Icarion »

What you see here is mostly custom made, 3rd party stuff, nevertheless they all have khorne iconography on them.
I´ll start with the small guy up front, which is my custom made Skulltaker:
The chest and arms of the model is something from Avatars of War with a tzeenthch-looking skull plus spine in the left hand and a sword in the right. The legs are from the Skullreaper/Wrathmonger kit, the back of the head is made from a tyranidwarrior and the face plus horns is original Skulltaker.
Attachments
Front.jpg
Front.jpg (281.01 KiB) Viewed 4396 times
Caledor for life!
Icarion

#3 Post by Icarion »

The basic troops are made up by the Bloodletters. As you might notice, none of them looks like the original, because i simply dont like them. I´m a big fan of the old, metal "Muscleletters" (i guess they were from the 2nd edition) and since buying them from ebay costs 10€+ i decided to convert my own:
2 units are based on the Skullreapers/Wrathmongers kit, with bloodletter heads and mostly bloodletter weapons. Sadly i have only close up pics prepared from one of the named units, but if you really like i can take some pics of the second unit in the future (i´m also planing another unit also converteed from the Skullreapers/Wrathmongers, simply because i love them).
Attachments
Muscleletters2.jpg
Muscleletters2.jpg (469.03 KiB) Viewed 4396 times
Caledor for life!
Icarion

#4 Post by Icarion »

The third Bloodletter unit is made from Chaos Warriors Chosen, as i wanted them to have some extra armour. They are my Skarbrand´s followers, so they have burnt skin and red armour like him.
Attachments
Armourletters2.jpg
Armourletters2.jpg (92.16 KiB) Viewed 4396 times
Caledor for life!
Icarion

#5 Post by Icarion »

My Skarbrand is also partially custom made, as "Brand" means Fire in german, so i thought some flames might be cool on him... and yes, the Balrog has been a big inspiration to this project. The flames on his back are all made from greenstuff and the Shoulders are pieces from a skullcannon. The head was a Manticore, bu i prefer this to the original Skarbrands head, so i´ve chosen this. I also cut the axes, so he´s holding them properly and not like the original.
Attachments
Left.jpg
Left.jpg (90.16 KiB) Viewed 4396 times
Caledor for life!
Icarion

#6 Post by Icarion »

in the upper right corner we have an original bloodthirster from Games Workshop, which is imho the coolest kit they ever released by GW. Nevertheless i normally dont like to repeat myself, which is why until now i have only painted one of them (yet i have 2 more unpainted).
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (164.41 KiB) Viewed 4396 times
Caledor for life!
Icarion

#7 Post by Icarion »

In front of the GW-Bloodthirster we have a Warrior Demon, which is a sculpt made by the wonderful artists of the company called CreatureCaster. I just gave the model a Bloodthirster-sized base and a Bloodthirster axe, to make him fit better. The group pic is a bit older, which is why i repainted the models wings, since i began to dislike then (to be honest, i screwed up the wing´s paintjob cus i wanted to go the easy way, so my painters honour demanded a repaint), therefor the pic posted below is a bit different than the one on the group pic.
Attachments
New Warrior Demon front.jpg
New Warrior Demon front.jpg (483.41 KiB) Viewed 4395 times
Caledor for life!
Icarion

#8 Post by Icarion »

In the upper left corner we have an old Belakor, painted in Khorne colours
Attachments
Front.jpg
Front.jpg (276.82 KiB) Viewed 4394 times
Caledor for life!
Icarion

#9 Post by Icarion »

to the right of Belakor is probably the biggest conversion i ever did until now. I call it "an exalted Soul Grinder", because as you see, the dude is MASSIVE! The lower body is made of an Arachnarok, the upper body is from Anggrath himself, while the arms are from some chaos kit... i dont really know. The gun on the left claw is from the Forgeworld Decimator, the left arm has a sword from a CSM daemon prince, the hand and the bloody muscles are made from greenstuff, as well as all the cables. the "horns" are from a Forgefiend.
Attachments
1 - Front.jpg
1 - Front.jpg (338.76 KiB) Viewed 4394 times
Caledor for life!
Icarion

#10 Post by Icarion »

in front of the Soul Grinder is another model made by an artist named Jeremy Glen, the founder of CreatureCaster, but during the time he did that model he worked for UltraForge and the sculpt is called "Greater War Demon". I love the model, so i wanted to include it into my Khorne daemon army as another Bloodthirster. I gave it a Bloodthirster Axe, added a shoulderpad on his right shoulder and a Khorne symbol on his chest (which isnt really seen, but he has one!). After the "family pic" i also gave the model a Bloodthirster-sized base.
Attachments
Greater War Demon Front new.jpg
Greater War Demon Front new.jpg (526.45 KiB) Viewed 4394 times
Caledor for life!
Icarion

#11 Post by Icarion »

here we come to the centrepiece-model in the back, that was never meant to be one, but it got by far the most likes of all pics i ever posted on facebook (probably the b00bs-factor?), so i put her in the middle. I call her "The Bloodqueen", but that beautiful girl is named Xeryell and it is a sculpt from Raging Heroes. I only added some Khorne symbols to the loincloth-chains and to the ring between her boobs and tadaaaaaa here we have a proper Bloodthirstress.
Attachments
Bloodqueen.jpg
Bloodqueen.jpg (56.41 KiB) Viewed 4394 times
Caledor for life!
Icarion

#12 Post by Icarion »

talking about girls...
not on the family-pic, because i painted the model quite recently is the "Queen of Onslaught" from CreatureCaster... i f course changed the model a bit, because i didnt like her head-dress, so i removed it and gave her some hair, furthermore she also got a bloodthirster-axe and a Khorne symbol on her loincloth. The base she´s standing on was also cut a bit and placed on a bloodthirster-sized base.
This was one of the most complicated paintjobs i ever did, because i had to paint the base, the whip and the body+wings separately. Nevertheless, i love that model and it´s quite a sight on the battlefield!
Attachments
Front.jpg
Front.jpg (516.98 KiB) Viewed 4394 times
Caledor for life!
Icarion

#13 Post by Icarion »

one model that is almost totally hidden in the upper right corner behind the wings of the Warrior Demon is a Daemon Prince, customized a bit with some butchers nails cables.
Attachments
CSM-DP front.jpg
CSM-DP front.jpg (158.81 KiB) Viewed 4394 times
Caledor for life!
Icarion

#14 Post by Icarion »

now we go totally 40k-ish, here i have a Fire Raptor, painted in World Eaters colours and customized with some spikes and bitz
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (120.9 KiB) Viewed 4394 times
Caledor for life!
Icarion

#15 Post by Icarion »

some of you might know Lord Zhufor, a Khorne Terminator lord from FW. Story-wise he has a terminator bodyguard, whose captain is called Gorfan. Since i came across an official artwork of that dude, i wanted to build it for the tabletop, which i think went quite ok...
Attachments
Vergleich.jpg
Vergleich.jpg (73.83 KiB) Viewed 4394 times
Caledor for life!
Icarion

#16 Post by Icarion »

here we come to something i´d rather prefer not to tell to any psychiatrist, because they might think i´m totally insane. I´m talking about my "Hellforged Falchion", which is a chaos-variation of a Falchion tank, that is possessed by daemons. Now, how might a tank look like, that has close combat stats and gets wounds back when he eats opponents... well, that´s my approach to this:
I had the lower part of the Lord of Skulls plus i went mad with my bitzbox... my sick little inner daemon is quite pleased with that craziness! :mrgreen: :lol:
i will have to repaint that model a bit, but i will do that some day in the future.
Attachments
5.jpg
5.jpg (148.57 KiB) Viewed 4394 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (137.68 KiB) Viewed 4394 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (157.45 KiB) Viewed 4394 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (151.91 KiB) Viewed 4394 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (153.03 KiB) Viewed 4394 times
Caledor for life!
Icarion

#17 Post by Icarion »

here´s a small model but a nevertheless spectacular version of (flying) Kharn the Betrayer, kitbashed with the body of the FW Kharn with the head of the GW Kharn, plus some poor Space Wolves, shot in the chest by an overloaded plasmapistol! :mrgreen:
Attachments
Right.jpg
Right.jpg (298.54 KiB) Viewed 4394 times
Left.jpg
Left.jpg (197.52 KiB) Viewed 4394 times
Back.jpg
Back.jpg (214.85 KiB) Viewed 4394 times
Axe.jpg
Axe.jpg (170.46 KiB) Viewed 4394 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (245.37 KiB) Viewed 4394 times
Caledor for life!
Icarion

#18 Post by Icarion »

Another Forgeworld artwork/character is Lheorvine Ukris, which i also converted. It´s pretty much a model for the shelf, as you dont have any characters with heavy bolters and with the new World Eaters codex you dont even have World Eaters Havocs, nevertheless, i wanted to do this, and here´s the result:
Attachments
Vergleich.jpg
Vergleich.jpg (611.45 KiB) Viewed 4394 times
Caledor for life!
Icarion

#19 Post by Icarion »

...after all this craziness, here´s something rather normal: Models i use as chaos spawns. Imho the oly Kroxigors were very similar to the Khorne Flesh Hounds, so i thought they might be ok as Khorne Spawns:
Attachments
Spawns.jpg
Spawns.jpg (218.15 KiB) Viewed 4394 times
Caledor for life!
Icarion

#20 Post by Icarion »

one day i thought my World Eaters army might need a terminator lord, which is also a model for the shelf since the release of the World Eaters codex. Nevertheless, i wanted that,simply because a) two lightning claws plus khorne bonus gives a lot of attacks abd b) i always wanted to convert the Abaddon model, because the pose of his right hand is... well, just meant to be converted this way! :lol:
The head is from the helmet-less FW Kharn.
Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (158.39 KiB) Viewed 4394 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (148.31 KiB) Viewed 4394 times
Caledor for life!
Icarion

#21 Post by Icarion »

Back to fantasy, i did another model for the shelf, as the good old chaos dragons are no more. Yet again, i just wanted it, so i did a chaos lord on a chaos dragon. This model is based on Azhag the Slaughterer (yes, an orc), with the upper body and head from the Skullreaper/Wrathmonger kit, a highelf lance with a Skullreaper/Wrathmonger kit´s sword, a beastmen banner (greenstuff khorne rune), a Heldrake head/neck, a darkelf dragon head with a zombiedragon neck, one of the tails is also from a highelf dragon, the front feet are from a manticore, the back feet from a darkelf dragon (afaik)
Attachments
Left.jpg
Left.jpg (166.08 KiB) Viewed 4394 times
Front.JPG
Front.JPG (123.47 KiB) Viewed 4394 times
Dragonhead2.jpg
Dragonhead2.jpg (45.37 KiB) Viewed 4394 times
Dragonhead1.jpg
Dragonhead1.jpg (83.28 KiB) Viewed 4394 times
Back.jpg
Back.jpg (120.64 KiB) Viewed 4394 times
Caledor for life!
Icarion

#22 Post by Icarion »

last but not least, one of my favourite Chaos characters, Arbaal the Undefeated... it´s now just a Chaos Lord on a chaotic mount, nevertheless, since i loved that character in my younger age, i wanted to do it. Not my best conversion (it´s already a few years old... it has a square base, as you see) so i might rework it a bit in the future, nevertheless, i love it...
Attachments
Arbaal.jpg
Arbaal.jpg (87.99 KiB) Viewed 4393 times
Caledor for life!
Icarion

#23 Post by Icarion »

i forgot my latest paintjob: The Berzerker-taxi (World Eaters Rhino)
Attachments
Rhino.jpg
Rhino.jpg (350.11 KiB) Viewed 4392 times
Caledor for life!
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#24 Post by SpellArcher »

What a labour of love! You've really poured everything into these Icarion. The Gorfan terminator conversion is especially effective. My two favourites though are Skulltaker and Skarbrand. The dark greys are a really nice touch.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#25 Post by Prince of Spires »

I agree with SA. Those are some amazing models. Lots of love went into them. There are some great conversions there. And the army looks both cohesive and with enough variation to make it interesting. Nice job! Thanks for sharing them.
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Icarion

#26 Post by Icarion »

Thanks to both of you for your kind words.
Sometimes the love and motivation for the hobby is something that hinders me really getting something done fast. What you see here is the efford of several years, for me there´s rarely something to "just do it", or "make a few units quickly", as you mostly see at the "Bloodletters", where - even though they are just basic troops - every single one is a conversion, in the case of the red-skinned bloodletters, all with extensive cutting, glueing and greenstuff-work. But this is it, my hobby life, and everybody has to feel happy about himself and what he does with his time. :D
These days are glorious days for Khorne-lovers, as the World Eaters get their release, you can expect some more stuff in this thread soon... but after that - give me time till september - Lord Glacierion of Wintervale will need some followers, to form a proper army and it will be epic! :mrgreen:
"Winter is coming"... and all that! :wink:
Caledor for life!
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#27 Post by Prince of Spires »

I know the feeling. Sometimes I'm jealous of people who manage to build a whole army in a year or even less time. While I'm glad to get a few models out. But I enjoy it and it's relaxing and that's all that matters. I must say it helps that I have a solid army done. So I can play without worrying about not having enough models or being limited in my choices because some things are missing.
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Icarion

#28 Post by Icarion »

Prince of Spires wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:16 pm I know the feeling. Sometimes I'm jealous of people who manage to build a whole army in a year or even less time. While I'm glad to get a few models out. But I enjoy it and it's relaxing and that's all that matters. I must say it helps that I have a solid army done. So I can play without worrying about not having enough models or being limited in my choices because some things are missing.
You´re right. Having a backbone of an army done, makes one see things more relaxed. As you see above, i have kinda backbone for my daemons, now i started with some berzerkers. The plan is to finish 30 this year, so i have 3 units of 10 Berzerkers each. After that i can paint the more freaky stuff or character models and the big stuff.

I found out, that it motivates me to paint in small steps, like getting 5 models prepared (i drill a hole in their foot and put them on a toothpick, so i can spray and paint them better and while drying i stick them in a piece of cork), give them some primer treatment and then paint with one colour at a time for all models, after that the next colour, etc. This makes me go a bit faster. At the end the details are painted separately, but once you have the base colours done pretty quick, it´s the fun-stuff that is no problem if it takes longer. This way i found out that things get done a bit faster than usually and i think the most important step for this is to find a colour-scheme that one likes and that goes pretty fast.
From time to time i plan a weekend only for hobbystuff, this is the best way to get something done. AND i put the stuff i am painting at the moment in my sight, so i always get reminded "dude, this isnt finished yet!", so when i have a boring meeting at home office (without camera) i can take the time to add some brush strokes here and there. :wink:
Caledor for life!
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#29 Post by SpellArcher »

Icarion wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 10:52 am I found out, that it motivates me to paint in small steps
I find this too.
Icarion

#30 Post by Icarion »

i´ve been lazy during the last months, but i got at least one unit done...
Attachments
Axes of Skarbrand.jpg
Axes of Skarbrand.jpg (122.94 KiB) Viewed 723 times
Caledor for life!