Warhammer Armies Project (Unofficial 9th Edition) - opinions

A forum for all other games which don't fit into the other gaming forums. Elves (and other races) in other tabletop wargame systems. The place to discuss systems like, Mordheim, Warmachine, Infinity and Warthrone. But also topics that relate to any other game such as 40K, Dropzone Commander, board games or PC/Console gaming belong here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Aesthete

Warhammer Armies Project (Unofficial 9th Edition) - opinions

#1 Post by Aesthete »

Heya - I was wondering if the good people of Ulthuan are familiar with the Warhammer Armies Project - and specifically the unofficial 9th Edition... and if you are, what do you think?

From what I can tell, Mathias Eliason (the author) has written a whole bunch of pretty nice looking additional army lists for 8th edition (Cathay, Nippon, Norse, Amazons, Albion and others) and then expanded into doing a light tweak of 8th when GW moved on to Age of Sigmar.

I'm just curious what the local Asur think of his efforts :)
Formerly Modessa, but I forgot my password and associated email so I made a new account. Not that I did more than mostly lurk, but still...
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: Warhammer Armies Project (Unofficial 9th Edition) - opin

#2 Post by Prince of Spires »

I did know about the Warhammer armies project. I've seen some nice army books come out. I didn't know yet about the 9th edition rules he's working on. I had a quick read through them and they seem ok. They aim to remove the worst excesses of 8th edition. And to remove some of the things the author finds annoying. I'm curious if it succeeds in balancing the game. Removing some of the excesses can also mean that the average stuff suddenly doesn't work anymore. Things like being steadfast on your own (unmodified) LD for instance. It indeed removes silly things like skaven slaves being steadfast on LD9. However, it also effectively makes them unplayable. And it probably means that average LD 6 or 7 infantry will not be used. The same with removing supporting attacks. It reduces the damage output of most units in the game. But the worst offenders weren't hordes of infantry with 3 attacks per file. It was monstrous cavalry which already has a boat load of attacks and will relatively become more powerful I think.

There's few more points like this where I can see what's been attempted, but I'm not sure if the overall effect on all units in the game is desirable. The rules would need to be tested to find that out I guess.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
RE.Lee

#3 Post by RE.Lee »

I like the project, but as with T9A - there's just to much rule changes for me to dive in. I like some of the ideas and I'm likely to include them as my own house rules, I like the anti-conga rules, though column was a viable formation throughout history and what if you cant move between two obstacles because you're 6x6 and only 5 would pass through?

Some changes are a real pain: all those I modifiers, really? I get a bonus for ASF, then a penalty for two-handed, while my opponent gets a penalty for ASL and a bonus for a pike...

Not sure how I feel about removing supporting attacks and horde - do elves still get extra ranks to fight? It sure looks like things like Chaos Warriors got a lot more powerful, ditto Demigryph Knights and the like. Sure, the no longer get 1+ saves, but still...

Can't comment on the magic, that would need some more playtesting probably.
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
RE.Lee

#4 Post by RE.Lee »

Browsing through the 8th Skaven book on the site - some cool rules there! I like the leadership penalty the Slaves got. The Eshin options are lovely, too. Other Clans get some love as well.
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy