Wyrdwars High Elf warband

A forum for all other games which don't fit into the other gaming forums. Elves (and other races) in other tabletop wargame systems. The place to discuss systems like, Mordheim, Warmachine, Infinity and Warthrone. But also topics that relate to any other game such as 40K, Dropzone Commander, board games or PC/Console gaming belong here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Ladril Caledor

Wyrdwars High Elf warband

#1 Post by Ladril Caledor »

Has anyone on this forum played Wyrdwars? It's a version of Mordheim with rules updated to better reflect 8th Ed Warhammer, tightened up for balance, and with all factions represented. Full rules here: http://www.wyrdwars.com/ My group is starting to play it so I put together a High Elf warband:

Noble with Ithilmar Armour, Sword and Shield

Loremaster (Life) with Ithilmar Armour, Sword and Shield

2 Silver Helms with Greatswords and Ithilmar Armour (all models in Wyrdwars are unmounted, btw)

War Lion

1 Seaguard with Sword and Bow

4 Seaguard with Bows

The seaguard stay at range and whittle down wounds, but I want to leave the killing attacks for the heroes so they can gain experience. The heroes form a 'hunting party' with the lion.

It was a tough decision between Seaguard and Shadow Warriors. They cost the same, but Seaguard have better WS and Shadows have the Stealth skill (-1 to hit in cover).

I decided on Ithilmar armour for the heroes as elves are so fragile in Wyrdwars (T2).
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

Re: Wyrdwars High Elf warband

#2 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

We tried it, and decided to stick with normal Mordheim.
Ladril Caledor

#3 Post by Ladril Caledor »

Any reason why Shannar? What are the downsides compared to normal Mordheim? I haven't tried any fantasy skirmish game yet, although once upon a time Necromunda was my favourite game.

I suppose for me the main appeal is that all the factions are represented and seem fairly balanced, including my beloved High Elves. I know Mordheim has Shadow Warriors, but I don't own the models, and they seem to be frowned upon as overpowered and were removed from the GW approved list.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#4 Post by Prince of Spires »

My experience with Shadow warriors in mordheim (a handful of games) is that Shadow warriors aren't that overrated (at least against the skaven of my opponent) as long as you're not very good at mordheim and have enough terrain on the table. Decent chance of being outnumbered. And you really not want models to get isolated. In a game where stuff generally has one or two attacks at average you will cause a wound every other round of combat or so. Having two models in a fight will do more then having better stats.

I do second the Why? question for Shannar.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#5 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

The biggest reason is simply that there is so much well done material out there for Mordheim. From tons to warbands to full campaigns. There are also several warbands nowhere to be found in wyrdwars. And there are honestly to many hero choices, that takes away from the weaknesses that each warband has to deal with in Mordheim. In wyrdwars you can just paper over them with your hero choices. It's probably "balanced" because everyone can do it. But honestly it seems to have been made simply because someone was tired of not being able to have ______ type of hero.