Kings of War - resources

A forum for all other games which don't fit into the other gaming forums. Elves (and other races) in other tabletop wargame systems. The place to discuss systems like, Mordheim, Warmachine, Infinity and Warthrone. But also topics that relate to any other game such as 40K, Dropzone Commander, board games or PC/Console gaming belong here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

Kings of War - resources

#1 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Greetings,

I am going to give that system a try and I was looking for some resources to learn more about the game and its mechanics. It seems to be nicely written pack of rules, that are neat and clean and easy to learn. According to the designers and people who play it these rules create a game hard to master and allow for tactical battle with units.

I wanted to share some of the websites/blogs/videos I have found so far that I think are good to read/watch.

Essentials

Mantic - Kings of War - the website of the producer. You can download things there and order your books/miniatures.

KoW 2 - Rules* - full rules

KoW 2 - Army Lists* - Completed Army lists.

KoW 2 - Additional Army Lists (WiP)* - Army lists in process for 1st expansion.

KoW 2 - free pdf** - a direct link to free pdf with rules for KoW 2.

KoW - Army Builder - a website where you can build your army!

* - Many thanks to GhosWarrior for providing these links
** - Link provided by Lord Anathir, Thanks!

Erratas and FAQ
pg 10
"Rather than making a normal Charge
move, the unit simply pivots to face the
target unit then moves forward until it
makes contact with the target’s front face.
The unit cannot move through friendly
or enemy units while making this move,
though it may pivot through other units
as long as it ends clear of them. Once it
makes contact, it aligns with the target
unit as normal. "
Moving Chargers - rules clarification about the situation in the game and provided by a member of Rules Committee

1st official Errata and FAQ

Forums

Mantic - Forum - forum for Mantic games by the producer.

Wargamerau - Kings of War - Australian forum for all things KoW is now growing rapidly. Really recommend it as there are also nice blogs showing cool reports.

Blogs

Switching from WHFB to KoW 2 - Good article that explains the game mechanics and provides some inevitable comparisons between Warhammer and KoW.

The Waaagh! Gamer - A new blog of a new KoW2 player but with nice pictures and cool narrative, hopefully will grow constantly as Eric, the owner of the blog, seems to be quite enthusiastic about the whole experience.

Ratkin focused Blog - a blog by former Warhammer player from New Zealand focused on Ratkin.

Videos

Shadows in the North - video blog by jwg20 and Malossar where jwg20 has just posted his 5 reports from first KoW GT he attended. I expect it to grow with KoW content.

Vega the Destroyer - Another new player in KoW, Vega, posts his reports on youtube channel and his most recent game was played with miniatures as opposed to universal battle ones so far.

Interview by Beast of War - short video with an interview with Mantic representative talking about new things in KoW 2.

Beast of War - KoW subsection - more content about KoW from BoW :) Seems you might need to sign up to get access to the features.

Kings of War - FAQ - a short video with some answers to recent questions by the KoW producer.

Mantic Academy: Kings of War Example Turns

KoW by Scott Birkett - KoW channel with reports by Scott Birkett

KoW by Master Crafted - KoW channel by Master Crafted guys.

Podcasts

KoW 2 - interview - Ohiohammer podcast with interview of 2 members of Rules Committee for Mantic and KoW.

KoW 2 - Short Review - a short review of the system by Ohiohammer podcasts.

Counter Charge Episode 1 - fist episode from former Ohiohammer crew, first episode of Counter Charge podcast.

Kings of Cascadia - another very nice podcasts, you may find Episode 2 interesting in particular as they are talking about Elves.

I hope I will find some more to add to the above list but feel free to suggest anything that you consider to be useful in any way.

Tactics

Anti-Fliers Tactics

Fantastic article from one of the members of Rules Committee on how to deal with fliers.

Anti/flier and Shooting army list - Goblins

Current UK KoW champion shares his knowledge about anti-fliers/shooting army list and uses Goblins as an example.

Cheers!
Last edited by Swordmaster of Hoeth on Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:14 pm, edited 13 times in total.

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Giladis
The Merlord

Re: Kings of War - resources

#2 Post by Giladis »

I'll sticky this for easier reference as more topics are bound to appear over time.
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#3 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Thank you!

I have organized the main post a little bit more to make it look nicer and more clear about the contents. I also found 2 podcasts on Ohiohammer which I added to the list.

Please, let me know if you find it helpful and if you happen to spot something interesting share with us! I will do my best to update the links regularly.

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Bolt Thrower

#4 Post by Bolt Thrower »

Swordmaster, thanks for doing the hunting/gathering of this. I know many of us are hoping for some of your insightful batreps.
Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
Bolt Thrower's High Elves
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#5 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

You welcome, Bolt Thrower! I think the number of resources will grow now as many more players are at least potentially interested in the game. Ohiohammer guys already announced they are going to switch to KoW related things and they renamed themselves for that occasion to CounterCharge :)

And thanks for kind words too, I will try to organize some games and will share the observations on the forum with appropriate reports :)

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Lord Anathir

#6 Post by Lord Anathir »

Newer Rules: (same as swordmaster links but with edits)

http://manticblog.com/wp-content/upload ... -rules.pdf

Also, it has been pointed out the rules are missing this paragraph in regards to counter-charging:

pg 10
"Rather than making a normal Charge
move, the unit simply pivots to face the
target unit then moves forward until it
makes contact with the target’s front face.
The unit cannot move through friendly
or enemy units while making this move,
though it may pivot through other units
as long as it ends clear of them. Once it
makes contact, it aligns with the target
unit as normal. "
For the dwarfs, there was only this. Hammerson met Grombrindal’s gaze, and the White Dwarf nodded slowly. If it must be done, let it be done well. Whether they were dead or alive, that was the only way dwarfs knew how to do anything.

And Grombrindal said "10 from the back, yeah?"
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#7 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Thanks LA! I have updated the first post.

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Galharen
Master of Brushes

#8 Post by Galharen »

High Elves have drake riders there :shock: :shock: Something I was hoping all those long years to get from GW...I might check those rules too :)
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#9 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

I am curious about your first impressions. It is totally different and the characters do not play such a significant role here. Something that along with crazy magic phase is what ETC players seem to like so much :-P

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Galharen
Master of Brushes

#10 Post by Galharen »

Gonna check it today :)

I don't care about magic as long as I can have dragons and drakes! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Elves do have dragons there too, don't they? #-o
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#11 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

They do! They have access to Dragon Lord, Drake Rider (smaller Dragon, or maybe Griffon :)) and Rake Riders (a unit that can come in 2 sizes). So plenty for Dragon theme!

P.S. I added the Army Builder link

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Truthiness

#12 Post by Truthiness »

The base Elf list can make damned near anything from the High Elf and Wood Elf ranges. Heck, KoW does a better job with half the units. Seaguard and Spears are two perfect examples of units that are bleh in Warhammer, but have a well defined place in KoW. I'm loving it!
[url=http://warhammertruthiness.blogspot.com/]You Can't Handle the Truthiness[/url]:
The demented ramblings of a US Army officer
John Rainbow

#13 Post by John Rainbow »

Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote:I am curious about your first impressions. It is totally different and the characters do not play such a significant role here. Something that along with crazy magic phase is what ETC players seem to like so much :-P
Lol
John Rainbow

#14 Post by John Rainbow »

Also... what does the sabre-toothed pussycat do?
Baragash

#15 Post by Baragash »

John Rainbow wrote:Also... what does the sabre-toothed pussycat do?
One-use throwing weapon
Mantic Rules Committee: Kings of War & Warpath.
"The Emperor is obviously not a dictator, he's a couch."
Starbuck: "Why can't we use the starboard launch bays?"
Engineer: "Because it's a gift shop!"
Truthiness

#16 Post by Truthiness »

Provide you with something to do with those white lion models instead of using them on some stupid chariots.
[url=http://warhammertruthiness.blogspot.com/]You Can't Handle the Truthiness[/url]:
The demented ramblings of a US Army officer
Lord Anathir

#17 Post by Lord Anathir »

Re moving chargers: I think this is sufficiently important to put up here

https://manticforum.com/forum/kings-of- ... tion-heavy
For the dwarfs, there was only this. Hammerson met Grombrindal’s gaze, and the White Dwarf nodded slowly. If it must be done, let it be done well. Whether they were dead or alive, that was the only way dwarfs knew how to do anything.

Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#18 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Do I have to be logged in to see attachments?

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Lord Anathir

#19 Post by Lord Anathir »

"you can't charge if you can't align without overlapping" I think this is the key sentence told to me in a situation like this:

Where red charges blue. In this situation he can't do it because even though he can touch the blue unit he can't do the warhammer equivalent of closing the door without overlapping the yellow unit/blocking terrain piece.

Its a knock to hordes, who might struggle to charge cleanly against several smaller units.

Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#20 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Many thanks, LA! It is indeed an important rule and I read the discussion. It looks like Rules Committee member stepped in to clarify that. I will add the link to the list of resources.

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

John Rainbow

#21 Post by John Rainbow »

Baragash wrote:
One-use throwing weapon
I can imagine throwing a cat at someone is off-putting at the very least :)
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#22 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

I added a new video from Mantic where they play a few turns as an example in their new Mantic Academy.

The first episode of Counter Charge podcast from the Ohiohammer crew was also added.

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Farseer

#23 Post by Farseer »

Hello, Are you guys using your GW models for KoW? I'v heard the LotR/hobbit models are a better scale. Its a shame LOTR models are so expensive because i cannot stand the mantic models :( looks like such a good game though
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#24 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

HI Farseer,

I haven't played in real life yet (only on UB) but I intend to use my existing collection of GW models for KoW. Majority of units transfer nicely and are already on proper bases.

Hope that helps.

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Ladril Caledor

#25 Post by Ladril Caledor »

Most games I've seen have used GW models. Lots of Warhammer players are flocking to Kings of War. High Elves transfer across very well, most asur units have their KoW equivalent.
Farseer

#26 Post by Farseer »

Oh thats really good although it feels a little bit cheap that mantic arent getting my money- i guess ill make sure to buy the rulebook.

Btw is it possible to launch cats at people from a dragon? Because if so i don't see any other way of playing this game
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#27 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi Farseer,

That is the approach of many players now, who buy the rulebook to support Mantic. Unfortunately, their Elven range is really poor in terms of design and I really hope they will do something to address that issue in the future. The good thing is that Mantic is not only about KoW and that they do try to expand their range with good miniatures. For example, they can get some buyers for the models that represent entries that are not directly supported by other companies.

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Baragash

#28 Post by Baragash »

I think "marmite" is a fairer reflection of the general view of Mantic's Elves. Personally I think the level of detail is pretty high, aesthetically, well I got a little fed up of GW's meaty-handed body-building Elves and quite like the fact that they aren't humans-with-pointy-ears, but ofc each to his own ;)
Mantic Rules Committee: Kings of War & Warpath.
"The Emperor is obviously not a dictator, he's a couch."
Starbuck: "Why can't we use the starboard launch bays?"
Engineer: "Because it's a gift shop!"
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#29 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi guys,

Just added a link to wargamerau KoW subforum as Aussies are adding a lot of good content and I haven't updated this topic for quite a long time either!

I also took the liberty to add the link to the video blog by our own jwg20 and Malossar as jwg20 keeps adding some nice battle reports and I do believe he will keep adding some more!

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#30 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

I have just added two links, one about new podcast and one about tactics article. If you find something interesting, please, let me know. There are more and more content about KoW showing up in different places and it is also harder for one person to spot them all :)

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth