40k Dark Vengeance Boxed Set a Good Start for Marines?

A forum for all other games which don't fit into the other gaming forums. Elves (and other races) in other tabletop wargame systems. The place to discuss systems like, Mordheim, Warmachine, Infinity and Warthrone. But also topics that relate to any other game such as 40K, Dropzone Commander, board games or PC/Console gaming belong here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Ambrosius

40k Dark Vengeance Boxed Set a Good Start for Marines?

#1 Post by Ambrosius »

I've never played 40k at all, and am looking to poke my nose into it in a games-with-friends kind of way. My most frequent opponents will be Orks and tank-heavy IG. While cruising for cheap marines on Ebay, I ran across a LOT of bits from the boxed set, and am wondering how they stack up to the standard box of tac marines. I really, really like the way the IoB reavers I bought went together (sturdy, not too many parts). I realize you sacrifice some weapon options with the push-together marines, but I'm enough of a newb not to know what weapons I want anyway. So, Ulthuan, are the marines from the boxed set decent models? Do they to together as nice as the IoB reavers? Will the 10 tac marines + 5 terminators form a good base for a small'ish force for friendly games? (By friendly, I mean I'm more interested in a good game than I am in winning.) I've got a friend with a TON of marine stuff in his bits box, how much luck will I have converting some of the chaos guys to marines? For example, I like the model for the chaos general waaay better than the Dark Angel one. Finally, I'm not really knowledgeable about the marine iconography. Are the Dark Angels from the boxed set suitable for making a successor chapter, or are they they 100% unmistakeably Dark Angels? Any input would be awesome.
Pictures of my army:
[url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=48337&start=0[/url]
~Milliardo~

Re: 40k Dark Vengeance Boxed Set a Good Start for Marines?

#2 Post by ~Milliardo~ »

I'm actually painting this kit for a local hobby shop right now. I would say the tactical marines that come in the box are slightly more detailed than the standard kit. There are some unique heroes as well and they generally have a slightly higher level of detail, but slightly less than a character model you might buy separately. Most of the Space Marines have some form of Dark Angel iconography, some more, some less, but you could easily turn them into a successor chapter by painting them differently or scraping and cutting some bits off. The Chaos Marines though are unmistakeably Chaos in all its spiky glory - I personally would have a lot of trouble converting them into vanilla marines. It would definitely be skating up-hill. I think your best bet would be to buy a kit, convince a friend to play Chaos and have him buy a kit and then trade models.

The books and things that come with the game seem to do a better job of introducing the game than the Island of Blood kit - there's a quick-start guide that has a series of missions designed to teach you the game.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#3 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

The problem with the Dark Vengeance set is they Tactical Squad is kind of limited, you get a Sergeant with plasma pistol, and a plasma gun, and plasma cannon in the unit.
If you got a unit of these guys, and a box of the new marines you could use bits from the box to convert them up a bit and swap out some weapons.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Facade19

#4 Post by Facade19 »

There is going to be, for all intense and purposes, a new starter set coming out soon. From what appears to be so far to be more than just rumors and all but officially confirmed, 40k is getting an updated ruleset which is called 7th edition. Release date is on the 24th of May. The new starter set is rumored to be Dark Angeles and Orcs. Thus, I would encourage you to hold off on acquiring the Dark Vengeance set.
aurynn
Location: Looking for a lost Asur expedition somewhere in the Old World

#5 Post by aurynn »

The new Starter set will be Blood Angels and Orks.

As for the old Starter Set, the models are awesome, but Dark Angels are kinda sub-par army if not played strictly as Ravenwing (bikers).
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44814&p=804131#p804131]My personal PLOG[/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=45715]Lost Asur Expedition - army blog[/url]
[quote]"Well, hey, I didn't spend all those years playing Dungeons and Dragons and not learn a little something about courage."
- X-files, ep. Jose Chung's From Outer Space, Faulkner[/quote]
Ambrosius

#6 Post by Ambrosius »

Marines and orks sounds much better to me than marines plus chaos marines - thanks for the heads up.
Pictures of my army:
[url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=48337&start=0[/url]