Warhammer the old world

A forum for all other games which don't fit into the other gaming forums. Elves (and other races) in other tabletop wargame systems. The place to discuss systems like, Mordheim, Warmachine, Infinity and Warthrone. But also topics that relate to any other game such as 40K, Dropzone Commander, board games or PC/Console gaming belong here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Nicanor

Warhammer the old world

#1 Post by Nicanor »

Just curious about interest in GW's plans to go back to warhammer fantasy and back it up a few hundred years from the end times. I know lots of people moved on to other games (KOW for me) and was curious about people returning to the old world again.

I miss Ulthuan, white lions, and chariots, and even eltharion when he was blind. However... I'm torn about returning to it all after it was so cruelly yanked away.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Warhammer the old world

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

Nicanor wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:21 pm Just curious about interest in GW's plans to go back to warhammer fantasy and back it up a few hundred years from the end times.
Personally Nicanor, I'm now very interested. There's a fair bit of discussion on it here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=74707
Nicanor wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:21 pm However... I'm torn about returning to it all after it was so cruelly yanked away.
Some of us are still playing 8th Edition, while others are playing previous editions.
Morgen

#3 Post by Morgen »

Well now that they've actually said what it's actually supposed to be I'm much more interested. They did some really vague teasing originally but now that we know it's an actual blocks of troops war game that's going to draw from rules ranging from third to eighth edition of Warhammer Fantasy Battles where they want us to be able to use our existing models.

I've decided to be excited for it. It's a game I and several of my friends are very interested in playing if the rules are there. They can be complex so long as they make sense. But will it be just rule books or forgeworld models, are there going to be new kits or just old things reprinted? There's still a ton of questions.

Where I'm at the End Times and 8th edition kind of destroyed interest in my circle of people to play those games, though with the third edition of Age of Sigmar we've actually gotten back into that at least after the pandemic. Nothing post Warhammer was appealing in the same way and they're bad at playing dead games.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#4 Post by SpellArcher »

Morgen wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:38 pm Well now that they've actually said what it's actually supposed to be I'm much more interested. They did some really vague teasing originally but now that we know it's an actual blocks of troops war game that's going to draw from rules ranging from third to eighth edition of Warhammer Fantasy Battles where they want us to be able to use our existing models.
Me too. I loved playing 40K back in the day but I like my blocks.
Morgen wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:38 pm But will it be just rule books or forgeworld models, are there going to be new kits or just old things reprinted?
I’d be surprised if they passed up the opportunity to sell us new models directly. The Kislev sketches for example are encouraging.
Morgen wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:38 pm Nothing post Warhammer was appealing in the same way and they're bad at playing dead games.
I get that you simply mean GW dropped support with a huge clang Morgen. Even on a quiet site like this though, we see various editions getting some love. I’ve played (extensively) four armies in 8th yet feel there’s a lot left to explore. Seredain just played a 20-something player tournament with interesting scenarios, some tweaks and use of community-produced army books like Nippon. Other groups are putting a lot of work into 6th and 3rd editions for example. So yeah, these games are kind of dead but they’re also kind of not.
Morgen

#5 Post by Morgen »

No, I was specifically talking about my community of friends and people who played Warhammer Fantasy. Nothing was picked up to replace it, no games of the old system were played, etc. No fan made continuations, no kings of war, no game of thrones, no historical, no just play older editions. Nothing.
Nicanor

#6 Post by Nicanor »

I know the feeling. Big, empty hole. However, my children, nieces, and nephews are getting old enough so we're giving kow a shot. I've a lot of elves dwarves and skaven sitting around.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#7 Post by Prince of Spires »

I'm slightly excited, though also a bit cautious. GW has a tendency to simply drop something and leave people out in the cold if they feel like it. But new models are always great and the new rules might be good or fun. We'll see.

The main problem I do see is that the gaming community is a lot more fragmented than it was. It used to be that if you played a fantasy tabletop wargame then you played Warhammer. Yes, there was some Lord of the Rings (which still looks like a fun game and it might get some love with the upcoming Amazon show), and games like kings of war or Warmachine. But those were the minority. And even then it could be difficult (for me at least) to find new opponents to play.

Now you get people playing all different kinds of games. And while that forces companies to develop the best game they can (which is a good thing), it does mean that it's even harder to find someone to play. And I don't think this project will change that.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Musashi

#8 Post by Musashi »

I heard there might be a revival.

The real issue seems economics and cents; the correct decision was to make it a computer game, since cannibalization may actually have been minimal.

The next would be visual media, which might drum up interest in the Old Worlde.
[img]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1317/1015107388_6c67a9c5d3_o.jpg[/img]
[color=red]Surprise is an event that takes place in the mind of the enemy commander[/color]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdU1F54FEOU]Crowbot_Jenny[/url]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_1AfDgZttw]Sunrise[/url]
[url=http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhrhr5JLBY1qc2rnro1_500.jpg]avatar[/url]
[url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01jrt6b/The_Castle_Series_4_Episode_5/]The_Castle_Series_4_Episode_5[/url]

[i]But this did not surprise them, for as it is written in the Great Elven Book of Knowing:[/i] Isn't life just one bloody thing after another.
Nicanor

#9 Post by Nicanor »

Prince of Spires wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:58 am I'm slightly excited, though also a bit cautious. GW has a tendency to simply drop something and leave people out in the cold if they feel like it. But new models are always great and the new rules might be good or fun. We'll see.

The main problem I do see is that the gaming community is a lot more fragmented than it was. It used to be that if you played a fantasy tabletop wargame then you played Warhammer. Yes, there was some Lord of the Rings (which still looks like a fun game and it might get some love with the upcoming Amazon show), and games like kings of war or Warmachine. But those were the minority. And even then it could be difficult (for me at least) to find new opponents to play.

Now you get people playing all different kinds of games. And while that forces companies to develop the best game they can (which is a good thing), it does mean that it's even harder to find someone to play. And I don't think this project will change that.

Rod
New minis and New rules would be great. I do like mantic's kow rules regarding not removing individual models from a formation. Anyway, haven't heard anything new in a long while so.... oh well.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#10 Post by SpellArcher »

Nicanor wrote:I do like mantic's kow rules regarding not removing individual models from a formation.
Reminds me of WRG 7th Edition Ancients, way back in the day. Not universally popular but the change did work quite well IMHO.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#11 Post by Prince of Spires »

Nicanor wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:32 am New minis and New rules would be great. I do like mantic's kow rules regarding not removing individual models from a formation. Anyway, haven't heard anything new in a long while so.... oh well.
Actually, they released a small update just last month: Old World Development Diary – Explore the war torn lands of the World-that-Was. They do seem to be focussing very much on the empire (though I've seen mentions of Tomb Kings, Bretonia, Cathay, and even one to High Elves).

We'll see. They're taking their time, that's for sure...

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Nicanor

#12 Post by Nicanor »

Gah! A tease! Hehe. Thanks. I hadn't seen the update till you posted here.
Aerendar Valandil

#13 Post by Aerendar Valandil »

Keep playing the game of your choice. It is interesting, but you never know what GW will make of it.

Very probably it's not what you wanted or expected, and good chances it is not to your liking.

Don't get yourself distracted.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#14 Post by Prince of Spires »

For me the fact that they haven't hinted at a timeline means it's still a long way off. And we'll see what we get. Of course new models (which look less ridiculous that flying sharks with machineguns) would be great. Hopefully the rules are good. And if not I'll just keep playing 8th edition. I don't have too much time for games anyway :)

Check out my plog

Nicanor

#15 Post by Nicanor »

I understand the time issue. Somewhere along the way I grew up, got married, had kids... some of my children enjoy OPR and KoW though, when we get the time. Still... I miss ulthuan and the other games don't quite scratch that itch.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#16 Post by Prince of Spires »

Nicanor wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:21 pm I understand the time issue. Somewhere along the way I grew up, got married, had kids... some of my children enjoy OPR and KoW though, when we get the time. Still... I miss ulthuan and the other games don't quite scratch that itch.
Same here, though my kids are still a bit too young for Warhammer. My parents recently did find our verson of Heroquest. I might just claim that and use it as an easier introduction in a few years time. :)

And I agree, the other games look nice, but don't quite match the massive battle feel of WH with High Elves.

Check out my plog

Ramesesis

#17 Post by Ramesesis »

Hints are there that it may come in autumn - winter this year.
Predictions, based on the Horus Heresy release, suggest that it will cost an arm and a leg!
But I really, really hope I will be able to afford it!
Giladis
The Merlord

#18 Post by Giladis »

Considering the rules are still being playtested I would not hold my breath for a 2023 release. Though the rules are close to being print ready.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#19 Post by SpellArcher »

Ramesesis wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:20 pm Predictions, based on the Horus Heresy release, suggest that it will cost an arm and a leg!
Funny how these things rarely turn out to cost less than expected isn't it?

:)
Giladis wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:23 pm Though the rules are close to being print ready.
We live in hope!
Giladis
The Merlord

#20 Post by Giladis »

Aerendar Valandil

#21 Post by Aerendar Valandil »

Thought so. Disappointed. But not unsolvable.
Ramesesis

#22 Post by Ramesesis »

Well, having expirience with 25mm bases as standard from Oathmark I say it is a good move. It makes ranking up so much easier!
And if you do not want to re-base movement trays are the go to solution in the Oathmark community.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#23 Post by Prince of Spires »

Giladis wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:23 pm Considering the rules are still being playtested I would not hold my breath for a 2023 release. Though the rules are close to being print ready.
That makes a 2023 release unlikely. At least, I'm assuming they've either allocated X amount of time for playtesting, or they'll only plan the release once playtesting is over. In either case, 8 months from finalizing the text to being in stores is a very short timeline. Or rather, 6 months, given that you want to be in time for Christmas, which would give an october release at the latest. An aweful lot of stuff needs to be done to get a book and models ready for publication and sale. Yes, you can already be working on stuff in tandem, like taking the photos of units while still creating rules. But some things have to happen in order. You can't type-set the rulebook before finalizing the rules for instance.

@Giladis, have you come across any hints about rules or game mechanics? I'd be interested to know which way they're leaning, and what they've got in mind in terms of default army sizes etc.
Giladis wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:39 pm Bases going up in size.
I commented on this elsewhere. I don't really see much impact on this at all, for my own games at least. Where it really matters I'll use movement trays. And I only play friendly games, where 25mm more or less (extra width on 5 R&F models) will not make any difference. The fact that we're normally using a too small table has a bigger impact than this...

Check out my plog

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#24 Post by SpellArcher »

Intrigued to see a true wedge formation in GW's pics.
TyrrenAzureblade

#25 Post by TyrrenAzureblade »

After Adepticon, I've heard from industry folks that have spoken with GW friends that a November release is happening. The rulebook is in a pretty complete state at this time. Obviously, take that with a grain of salt as nothing is certain until GW officially makes a statement, but it seems to fit neatly in between 40k's 10th Edition announcement and it's release follow up, and I think AoS's 4th edition release next year. Only 9 days until Warhammer Fest, and I'm hoping that at least a release date/window is announced, be it 2023, or 2024. My pie in the sky impossible hope is that they release a rules PDF for free along with a Ravening Hordes style supplement. I'm prepared to be let down on both counts.
Giladis
The Merlord

#26 Post by Giladis »

Prince of Spires wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:13 pm @Giladis, have you come across any hints about rules or game mechanics? I'd be interested to know which way they're leaning, and what they've got in mind in terms of default army sizes etc.

I have talked to a couple of people. But being on the other side of the NDAs before I didn't ask anything specific. What I can say is that they have enjoyed their test games and have been having fun. So far that is enough for me. I play half a dozen games so how ToW ends up isn't that important to me, though I hope it ends up good, as more good games there are the better it is as far as I am concerned. :)
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#27 Post by Prince of Spires »

That sounds promissing. Having fun is what it's all about after all.

I personally think that more good games mean more competition. And that in the end is a win for the players. It means companies have to actually try to do their best and put out the best rules, models and games they can.

I hope TOW end up a success, if only because that would mean more models and more players.

Check out my plog

Icarion

#28 Post by Icarion »

I found this pic from warhammer fest and a dude told me in february 2024 the wait has finally an end...
Lets hope it will be good, so we dont need any strange Lumineth or Cities of Sigmar any more!
Attachments
3.jpg
3.jpg (68.86 KiB) Viewed 3363 times
Caledor for life!