Warhammer the old world

A forum for all other games which don't fit into the other gaming forums. Elves (and other races) in other tabletop wargame systems. The place to discuss systems like Kings of War, Mordheim, Warmachine, Infinity and Warthrone. But also topics that relate to any other game such as 40K, Dropzone Commander, board games or PC/Console gaming belong here.

Moderators: The Loremasters, The Heralds

Nicanor

Warhammer the old world

#1 Post by Nicanor »

Just curious about interest in GW's plans to go back to warhammer fantasy and back it up a few hundred years from the end times. I know lots of people moved on to other games (KOW for me) and was curious about people returning to the old world again.

I miss Ulthuan, white lions, and chariots, and even eltharion when he was blind. However... I'm torn about returning to it all after it was so cruelly yanked away.

SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Warhammer the old world

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

Nicanor wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:21 pm
Just curious about interest in GW's plans to go back to warhammer fantasy and back it up a few hundred years from the end times.
Personally Nicanor, I'm now very interested. There's a fair bit of discussion on it here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=74707
Nicanor wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:21 pm
However... I'm torn about returning to it all after it was so cruelly yanked away.
Some of us are still playing 8th Edition, while others are playing previous editions.

Morgen

#3 Post by Morgen »

Well now that they've actually said what it's actually supposed to be I'm much more interested. They did some really vague teasing originally but now that we know it's an actual blocks of troops war game that's going to draw from rules ranging from third to eighth edition of Warhammer Fantasy Battles where they want us to be able to use our existing models.

I've decided to be excited for it. It's a game I and several of my friends are very interested in playing if the rules are there. They can be complex so long as they make sense. But will it be just rule books or forgeworld models, are there going to be new kits or just old things reprinted? There's still a ton of questions.

Where I'm at the End Times and 8th edition kind of destroyed interest in my circle of people to play those games, though with the third edition of Age of Sigmar we've actually gotten back into that at least after the pandemic. Nothing post Warhammer was appealing in the same way and they're bad at playing dead games.

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#4 Post by SpellArcher »

Morgen wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:38 pm
Well now that they've actually said what it's actually supposed to be I'm much more interested. They did some really vague teasing originally but now that we know it's an actual blocks of troops war game that's going to draw from rules ranging from third to eighth edition of Warhammer Fantasy Battles where they want us to be able to use our existing models.
Me too. I loved playing 40K back in the day but I like my blocks.
Morgen wrote:
But will it be just rule books or forgeworld models, are there going to be new kits or just old things reprinted?
I’d be surprised if they passed up the opportunity to sell us new models directly. The Kislev sketches for example are encouraging.
Morgen wrote:
Nothing post Warhammer was appealing in the same way and they're bad at playing dead games.
I get that you simply mean GW dropped support with a huge clang Morgen. Even on a quiet site like this though, we see various editions getting some love. I’ve played (extensively) four armies in 8th yet feel there’s a lot left to explore. Seredain just played a 20-something player tournament with interesting scenarios, some tweaks and use of community-produced army books like Nippon. Other groups are putting a lot of work into 6th and 3rd editions for example. So yeah, these games are kind of dead but they’re also kind of not.

Morgen

#5 Post by Morgen »

No, I was specifically talking about my community of friends and people who played Warhammer Fantasy. Nothing was picked up to replace it, no games of the old system were played, etc. No fan made continuations, no kings of war, no game of thrones, no historical, no just play older editions. Nothing.

Nicanor

#6 Post by Nicanor »

I know the feeling. Big, empty hole. However, my children, nieces, and nephews are getting old enough so we're giving kow a shot. I've a lot of elves dwarves and skaven sitting around.