Path to Glory

All discussions related to games of fantasy battles such as AoS, T9A, KoW, MESBG, WAP, Warmaster, etc go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Morgen

Path to Glory

#1 Post by Morgen »

Has anyone been doing any of the new Path to Glory narrative campaigns for 3rd edition? We've been having a fair amount of fun with it. Feels like 3rd edition is a lot more of a game my circle can enjoy and we've built up a lot of forces.

We're kind of using it as just a framework to just play games with a different kind of army building rule though and don't really have much actual narrative to it so I'd be interested to hear about your stories and what kinds of things you and your friends have come up with.

Right now I'm enjoying my Hallowheart army. Shadow warriors backing up free guild soldiers and their war hydra all trying to found their new free city.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: Path to Glory

#2 Post by Prince of Spires »

Haven't looked into it yet.

What is it that makes 3rd edition different from the two before it?
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
wamphyri101

#3 Post by wamphyri101 »

I was doing PTG with my new stormcast but since my 2k is nearly painted and I am needing to practice with my DOK before GW's Open Series in Seattle
Twitter: @chumphammer
Old WFB coming to give AoS a real try for a while.
Morgen

#4 Post by Morgen »

Prince of Spires wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:03 pm What is it that makes 3rd edition different from the two before it?
Well there's a fair amount of changes between the second and third editions. Second was still an actual game as opposed to that farce of first edition but third is even more so. Also the newer GW style of actually paying some attention to their tournaments where they do an update or tournament style change more than once a year. Not as much as 40k but it's not as complex or popular as 40k either. It's still a skirmish game and not Warhammer Fantasy but I'm finding this to be a fun one this time.

They've got a lot more interplay between if your the active or non-active player where there are things you can tactically decide to do in reaction to the things your opponent does. Fun new rules for monsters and heroes you do on both turns. The rule book is contently organization so you can be very specific about due to them all having numerical organization. (12.0 is the Combat Phase rules, 12.2 being the rules for Piling In for example) Useful generic enhancements to pick from if your army specific ones aren't the greatest.

Plus locally it's got the biggest selling point in that my friends are willing to play it and the people around where I game are playing it too. Especially in Path to Glory mode which is narrative but also effectively matched play at the same time where you've effectively got an army roster to draw your units from for specific battles that may not use all of them.

IF you want like hard examples of changes:
Spikey Bits on 3.0 changes
Goonhammer review of 3.0 core rules
HeyWoah's Is Age of Sigmar Good Now? (VIDEO)
Morgen

#5 Post by Morgen »

wamphyri101 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:16 pm I was doing PTG with my new stormcast but since my 2k is nearly painted and I am needing to practice with my DOK before GW's Open Series in Seattle
Oooh! Good luck at that! :)
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#6 Post by Prince of Spires »

Thanks for the reply. That does sound like it's worth checking out.
Morgen wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:38 pm Plus locally it's got the biggest selling point in that my friends are willing to play it and the people around where I game are playing it too. Especially in Path to Glory mode which is narrative but also effectively matched play at the same time where you've effectively got an army roster to draw your units from for specific battles that may not use all of them.
This is usually the main thing in my experience. Tabletop gaming is a social experience. And it helps immensely if you have a fun group of people to play with and if you can get regular battles played.
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.