Is there a summary of how I can play HE in AoS 3.0?

All discussions related to games of fantasy battles such as AoS, T9A, KoW, MESBG, WAP, Warmaster, etc go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Eirik

Is there a summary of how I can play HE in AoS 3.0?

#1 Post by Eirik »

Looking at playing a few games of this with a friend. Just trying to figure out how to use my models. Googling helps a bit but I remember this community being pretty stellar.

From what I can tell
* A bunch of it is now in Lumineth
* Alarielle is a wood elf now
* Her hand maidens and a bunch of random units (shadow warriors, anything phoenix) are Cities of Sigmar now
* You can mix and match all order armies if you want, but then you lose your army rules which sucks
* You can have 1/4 units from an allied list if you want, as far as I can tell nothing stops the leaders or even general being from that list
* The place to find out what allies you can have and what your models cost is currently the 2021 pitched battle profile guide
* According to that guide cities can take sylvaneth allies, sylvaneth can take cities allies, Lumineth have no friends above sea level
* Cities can also have some Lumineth if they use that one city from the Teclis broken realms book. I think that's about it.

That said, the warscrollbuilder on the GW website lets me choose Lumineth if I'm building a cities army (regardless of which city I choose) but not choose Cities units if I build a Lumineth army, so I assume I've read something wrong. Or maybe the site is just imperfect.

Anyways, I referencing like 4 different books just to figure out how to build a legal army, the rules are a bit of a confusing mess, and I'm slightly miffed about which of my models did/didn't survive the publication of each new book, so all in all it's a very nostalgic trip that makes me feel like I'm playing WHFB again. Anyone have any guidance?
Ah, Floorhammer. A time honored tradition. Sadly, I no longer play since my brother tripped and right-angled the spears of a 15-man regiment.
-Original Dragon Prince, July 2011
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Is there a summary of how I can play HE in AoS 3.0?

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

Eirik wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:53 am I remember this community being pretty stellar.
That's very kind Eirik but unfortunately we have few AoS players and I'm not one of them. Hopefully someone will be able to help.
Aerendar Valandil

#3 Post by Aerendar Valandil »

I'm planning to play Lumineth with my SH, Spears and Bows. AoS is played at our club and I'd like to try the game.

We're playing Warhammer Renaissance now, and we're off trying WAP 9th ed. so it'll probably remain with a one-off.
wamphyri101

#4 Post by wamphyri101 »

3 Main options for "High Elves" are

1: Lumineth realm lords. Solid faction with Speamen (wardens) archers (sentinels) silverhelms (Dawnriders) Boltthrowers, Loremaster (loreseaker) Teclis plus all the new stuff introduced to this world

2: Cities of sigmar (generic) were you can have shadow warriors, phoenix guard, frostheart/flamespyre, sisters of the watch

3: Cities of Sigmar: Settlers Gain (Luineth Allies) or The Phoenicium (Phoenix temple) That build around more specific Aelven factions.

Main stuff that got "legended" for now is Swordmaster/White lions/Dragon Princes really. But we still have Tyrions side of LRL to come in a few years so may have new versions.

Plus people proxie opld models anyway. Played against someone using old imrik as a frostheart and swordmasters as Phoenix guard. As long as your opponent knows its usually ok
Twitter: @chumphammer
Old WFB coming to give AoS a real try for a while.
Morgen

#5 Post by Morgen »

Unlike the older editions of Age of Sigmar, all in my own personal opinion of course, this third edition of the game seems to be a lot more interesting. Our club has actually picked it up and we're pushing above a thousand points in our Path to Glory campaign. I find it's a worthy game and recommend it to those looking for something fantasy/skirmish. Having some older models as a basis for starting out is helpful but if the game actually interests you don't be afraid to look at everything new and exciting too.

So as others have said if you're looking for an army that has a feel of the old high elves the Lumineth Realm Lords are really a good way to go if you want pointy high elves, but they've also got their own lore and flavour on top of what Teclis wanted to do. For Teclis' failed experiment you've got the Idoneth Deepkin too which have a lot of fun underwater style units that can be very potent on the table top with pointed ears.

Cities of Sigmar is where the old models really live. It's a hugely diverse army that allows for a lot of old model usage. Empire, Dwarves, High Elves, Dark Elves and Wood Elves models from WHFB ended up in the Cities, and depending on which actual city you pick your army to be from allows you to even take some units of the other Age of Sigmar armies as coalition units, a kind of like super ally where they get your city keywords and most of your benefits. That said Cities armies thrive on diversity, drawing from all their pools of units/heroes and the people who struggle with winning as Cities tend to be running old faction pure lists. Just something to keep in mind.

Of course when you merge together 5 whole armies model ranges you end up with a lot of overlap and this is where the old HE models lost out to the newer Dark Elf models. So...just run them as the dark elf units they pretty much apparently already were. The only models that really are just gone are the eagles, silver helms, archers, some named characters and bolt throwers.

No effort (well maybe some rebasing onto round bases):
Phoenix Guard, the Phoenixes, the Anointed both on foot and on Phoenix-back, Shadow Warriors, and Sisters of the Watch are all just Cities of Sigmar units. Phoenix Guard are an extremely solid unit in any Cities army. Caradryan can be used as an Anointed if you've got him.

Effectively the exact same thing:
HE Spearmen and Seaguard models can be used as Dreadspears (Aelves with spears and shields.)
HE Swordmasters can be used as Executioners (Aelves with big swords.)
HE Reavers can be used as Dark Riders (Aelves fast calvary with spears and ranged weapons.)
HE Prince on Dragon/Prince Imrik can be used as a Dreadlord on Black Dragon (Aelf melee character on a dragon.)
HE Chariot can be used as a Scourgerunner Chariot (Aelves on a horse drawn chariot with spears/ranged weapon.)
Everqueen models can be used as a Sorceress (Female Aelf spell caster.)
HE White Lions can be used as Wildwood Rangers (Aelves with cloaks and axes.)

Close/similar but maybe not at a tournament or playing against /that/ guy:
HE Dragon Princes are similar to Drakespawn Knights (Aelves durable heavy cavalry with lances and the horse helmets kind of look reptilian.)
HE Mage on Dragon is similar to Sorceress on Black Dragon (Aelf spell caster on dragon back, though not as feminine.)
HE White Lion Chariot is similar to the Drakespawn Chariot (Aelves in a chariot being pulled by some monstrous creatures with dangerous blades on it, though it might need a spear glued to it for the drivers.)
HE Mages should be safe as Battlemages (Not an Aelf but unarmored wizards and as far as I've seen nothing actually cares if something is human or aelf specifically so it'd be odd if this wasn't fair to everyone.)
HE Prince on Griffon/Eltharion the Grim as a Freeguard General on Griffon (Again not an Aelf, and the griffons are a little on the small side but if the base size is right most folks would probably be alright with this.)
HE Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower as allied Stormcast Eternal Celestar Ballista (Well the ballista part is there, if less elaborate and you're crew are a bit small for Sacristan Engineers...)
HE Archers are similar to Darkshards (Aelves with ranged weapons...but not bows. Plus it might be confusing as Lumineth Realmlords have proper pointy ear bow archers and we don't want that traditionally.)
Alith Anar as an Assassin (Lore wise would make sense given his connection to the shadow warriors but he really doesn't radiate assassin with a bow he won't be able to use and a big sword. Maybe in a narrative game or if Cities of Sigmar get some really in depth Path to Glory rules.)

Might be making you look like you're just lazy or insultingly unwilling to invest in a game your playing, but hey maybe you and your friends play like that:
Tyrion as a Freeguard General on Griffon (A lazy, lazy proxy. I don't care how amazing Malhandir is supposed to be.)
Silverhelms as Wild Riders (Seriously?!)
Great Eagle as a War Hydra (That's it I'm leaving!)