Warhammer Legends

All discussions related to games of fantasy battles such as AoS, T9A, KoW, MESBG, WAP, Warmaster, etc go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Botjer

Warhammer Legends

#1 Post by Botjer »

GW was about to release all the old factions from earlier editions as their own pdf compendiums, but they only released dark elves, and a compendium of heroes.

Then they stopped...

Now I hear faint rumors that GW are planning to release full armybooks for playing the old world armies with Age of sigmar rules.

One can only hope.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Warhammer Legends

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

Botjer wrote:Now I hear faint rumors that GW are planning to release full armybooks for playing the old world armies with Age of sigmar rules.
Interesting. A ‘What If’ kind of a thing?
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#3 Post by Prince of Spires »

Botjer wrote:but they only released dark elves,
Then they stopped...
They always play favorites with DE... ;)

It feels like they either underestimated the attachment people have to the old races or they came to the conclusion that some of the factions ended up very small making it harder for some people to create an army they want.

Who know's maybe in a couple of years they'll come up with rules for larger armies (like war of the rings for the lord of the rings game) which they'll call Warhammer...

I mainly just hope that it means that GW is willing to try different things and want to keep innovating. And not that they have no clue what they're doing and they're just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
wamphyri101

#4 Post by wamphyri101 »

in the 2019 book, some of the old races got some love (like wanderers) but sadly GW doesnt want to support them as new races means people buy full armies as the models have been really good.

I can see in the next 3-5 years most of the "old world" races being dropped as their replacements arrive
Twitter: @chumphammer
Old WFB coming to give AoS a real try for a while.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#5 Post by Prince of Spires »

wamphyri101 wrote: I can see in the next 3-5 years most of the "old world" races being dropped as their replacements arrive
Yeah, that sounds likely to me. I think that they'll keep the bigger models. They will just move them to new factions. You can always find a place for a dragon lord or mortis engine in your line-up. But most R&F units will probably disappear.

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Botjer

#6 Post by Botjer »

This is what I am talking about

https://www.warhammer-community.com/legends/

They are slowly adding new books.

Empire, dwarfs and highelves should be next.
RE.Lee

#7 Post by RE.Lee »

Aren't these just like the PDF's that were originally put out when AoS landed?

No point values, not even rough guidelines on how to balance forces...
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Botjer

#8 Post by Botjer »

They are not the same.
But yes they have no points, but that can be easily remidied.

I'm too old to play tournament style games, i want narrative games with alot of soul.
And I want to play in the old world.
RE.Lee

#9 Post by RE.Lee »

Some framework for how to balance armies would be nice, though. I wanted to do a narrative skirmish campaign, but with no prior knowledge of what would make a fair game, I guess I'm forced to use a different ruleset.
cheers, Lee

Botjer

#10 Post by Botjer »

For which factions?
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#11 Post by Prince of Spires »

RE.Lee wrote: I wanted to do a narrative skirmish campaign
This was actually my original hope for AoS when the rumours first started appearing. I would have loved a skirmish style game in addition to regular WH. Sometimes you only have an hour or so for a game or you just feel like something smaller then a complete battle and it would have been great to have some rules for that. Even more so if they would have been relatively easy rules to make it easy to get new people into the game (which is something that AoS does reasonably well).

Rod

Check out my plog

Botjer

#12 Post by Botjer »

Check out the "blood on the streets" skirmish rules that were posted in white dwarf. they are quite good.

Got the rules here

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1nAgUU ... XFpyX9cB4Z
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#13 Post by Prince of Spires »

Thanks for those. They look quite interesting. I'll have a better read through them when I'm no longer at work and pretending to be doing useful stuff ;) I also have the old warband rules from 6th edition lying around somewhere. They're fun, though not as skirmish as I'd like. I actually think that (from what I've read of them) the LoTR rules are some of the best skirmish rules I've seen.

How is white dwarf these days? I stopped buying them when they changed to the new format (which was around the time of the release of the last HE army book). Somehow, when that happened they pretty much stopped adding any real content to it. But this seems pretty good and the sort of thing that you want to read in the White Dwarf. I still have some of the civil war rules they published in there lying around somewhere for instance. And while the battle reports were pretty bad from a min-max / optimal point of view at least they were fun and fluffy and had some interesting scenario's which showed what you could do with WH battles.

Rod

Check out my plog

Botjer

#14 Post by Botjer »

Yeah White dwarf became just bunch of pictures of minis...

It is supposedly better nowadays, but noone around here reads them.

Tournaments sort of killed the hobby. If it's not a tournament gaming then its crap so all everything became very formualic and noone cared for cool conversions and scenarios.

Then fantasy died, and 30k split the 40k population in half....

As for points.

Get hold of the rules that have points now.

I will probably try putting points to warhammer legends later.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#15 Post by Prince of Spires »

Botjer wrote:Tournaments sort of killed the hobby. If it's not a tournament gaming then its crap so all everything became very formualic and noone cared for cool conversions and scenarios.
It's one of the things I like about RE.Lee's battle reports (RE.Lee's "Record of Lost Colonies"). He has a lot of mini-campaigns, scenario's and so on. They're great fun to read and add some nice dimensions to the games. They don't always work out as well as hoped (in the sense of creating an equal, balanced game). But that's less relevant.

Tournaments are a difficult one. I think the main issue asctually is that finding games can be difficult. And that gave a situation where tournaments were the main place people played the game. And if you plan a free weekend (which can be difficult enough), travel to another city and pay to play a bunch of games then most people will feel that they should have equal chances to win and not be screwed over by some scenario.

Rod

Check out my plog

RE.Lee

#16 Post by RE.Lee »

Thanks, Rod!

My cousin is visiting for a couple of weeks, so we'll probably be getting a nice short campaign going :D

BTW, I actually like the Warhammer Visions format...
cheers, Lee

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#17 Post by Prince of Spires »

Looking forward to the reports ;)

I do miss my White Dwarfs. I changed jobs over the last few years, so I'm no longer working close to a GW store, which makes it difficult to get them. But I did enjoy the monthly hobby fix they provided. Though, as said, I wasn't too fond of the changes they did.

Rod

Check out my plog