Toying with Return

All discussions related to games of fantasy battles such as AoS, T9A, KoW, MESBG, WAP, Warmaster, etc go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
wamphyri101

Toying with Return

#1 Post by wamphyri101 »

So, I miss playing warhammer. lets get that out there first.

When it died to grow AoS, I was not impressed. I tried a few other systems and it just wasnt for me. I tried AoS Generals Comp 1 and it was alright, but I decided to take a break.

Recently, I have been finding I have an itch for wargaming again. GW have some amazing models coming out and I am looking at both 40k (but Soooo much relearning to do) or AoS 2.0

Now, Until they redo Aelves I am holding off buying a new faction, through may pick up a few units here and there.

Been toying with this as a really in your face list (though its more mixed order)

Phoenix guard screen the witch elves. Witch elves charge in first with the PG 2' reach behind

Loremaster for rerolls on frostheart and magic buff

Hags to buff with elves.

Could split the force if needed so each flank has 1 frostheart, 1 hag, 2 x 10 PG and 2 x 10 WE. Sisters and LM on sperate forces

Anointed on Frostheart Phoenix (General): 280
- Master of Defense
- Glyphfeathers

Anointed on Frostheart Phoenix: 280

Loremaster: 140

Hag Queen: 60

Hag Queen: 60

Phoenix Guard x 10: 140

10 Witch Elves: 100

Sisters of the Thorn x 5: 220

The other idea is the same list, but drop a hag, 1 x Pg and 1 x WE for a 3rd frostheart
Twitter: @chumphammer
Old WFB coming to give AoS a real try for a while.
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

Re: Toying with Return

#2 Post by Luna Guardian »

Welcome back! I feel you on the reaction to AoS, that shift almost entirely killed our group's gaming (though it had been slowly withering since the ASF for High Elves in the 7th). You mentioned that you have tried other systems, which ones? I know it must be getting tiring, but I would like to recommend Kings of War. It's reportedly what Alessio Cavatore & co. wanted Warhammer to become, but due to GW business model it never became official. It is however an excellent system IMHO, with everything designed to have a Warhammer proxy. And very well balanced too. Free rules available here
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians
wamphyri101

Re: Toying with Return

#3 Post by wamphyri101 »

I tired KoW, and it was alright. I tried Bolt action, Flames of War, Warmachine/Hordes and Infinity.

Even played 2 seasons of Blood Bowl.

All were alright, just nothing held me like fantasy had.

I love the depth of 40K, but reading the Tyranid book recently I just felt it would be a long learning curve, which might just have to be a thing.

Our gaming community went from 4 areas within 2hrs of each other, with around 80 tournament players total, dropping to 16 max at an upcoming event, even wiht a few years regrowth.

It took a huge hit, and most people splintered to different games or stopped playing anything

AoS seems like it is getting better, just a long way to go.

No one really plays 9th age here and 8th Ed vanished due to people being pissed.

40k is the most tournament played game here atm (around 64 at upcoming event)
Twitter: @chumphammer
Old WFB coming to give AoS a real try for a while.